Must-have items - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spare key to the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Club Racer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
I always bring Windex wipes to clean the bugs off my visor. They come in a flat pack that fits nicely in the trunk.
I small rag with soapy water inside a ziplock bag has served me faithfully for years
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcutter View Post
I small rag with soapy water inside a ziplock bag has served me faithfully for years
Time to add that one to my list. So simple.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Religous Historian

Wow call me old school but I always carry a map and a compass.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Bandito

1-gallon ziplock bags are essential to any multi-day trip for me. I put one day's worth of clothes (socks, shorts, t-shirt) in each bag, press all the air out and seal it up. I can pack about 5 days' worth of clothes just in a tankbag alone, and its all waterproof. Dirty clothes get packed the same way and the bag gets marked with a sharpie. When all the bags are marked, its laundry day and then we start all over again. Bring a few extra bags for waterproofing other items (cell phone, camera, paperwork, etc).

Jeff G., Philadelphia, PA
Suzuki 1216 Bandit streetfighter/1999 Honda VFR800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I has GPS!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 07:10 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Right now, I've started packing my bags for next weekend (no clothes yet just things that might be essential.

tire repair kit
slime inflator
8" zip ties (10)
4" zip ties (10)
rain gear (even though weather looks good)
duct tape
extra allen keys (1mm to 10mm)
spare keys
small can of chain cleaner and lube
spare visor(s)
spare fuses 10a (5)
spare fuses 20a (5)

still working on the list will update as things go in the bag.

as of now I'm planning on using the Cortech Tri-bag tail bag, an Icon Priemere tank bag (small handheld items, wallet, keys, etc), and a Northface bookbag (upper and lower compression straps)

Most likely I'll pack the tail bag with essentials for getting around, and as much clothes as possible in zip lock bags (thanks B12power). Icon tankbag will be mp3 player, keys, wallet, cell phone, water bottle, snack). Northface book bag will be remaining clothes, toiletries, towel anything I grab last minute.

As for the ride, i'm heading from NJ to the Gap. About 750miles down, I plan on wearing my leathers the whole time down (no sense in packing them as they take up too much room). I'll bring a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans, if we go out to eat in town.

- 2006 Blue FZ6 -
crashed 08.04.08

+$1

Last edited by thatguyx; 05-27-2008 at 01:22 PM.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:57 PM
All right meow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by county View Post
Spare key to the bike
One thing to add to that, when I bring an extra key I always pin it to the inside pocket on my leather jacket. It's the one item I'm never without and don't have to worry about leaving behind.

I met Mr. Gravity, Mr. Momentum and Mr. Small Trees. These guys are assholes. If you can, don't do lunch with them. But if you do, you'll wish you had the gang with you.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Ape Nutz View Post
or 2 depending on the length of the trip . I can't officially condone illegal activities, being a member of middle management of this site, but I've heard that it is a great way to relax and unwind after a day of riding.
I think they should be legalized, and I am a member of Law Enforcement!
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
SBN Rookie

Smile

Little late on this post. I see no one said a Radar detector?
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Bandito

I always pack the bungee net. You never know when you might pick up something that needs to be strapped down.

Jeff G., Philadelphia, PA
Suzuki 1216 Bandit streetfighter/1999 Honda VFR800

"I has GPS!"

post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Silent pipes take lives

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D View Post
* Alternate visor. Since long rides usually involve different lighting conditions, I'll often bring my clear visor along in addition to the dark smoke that's usually on my helmet.
I got around carrying a second visor by placing two parallel strips of electrical tape across the top of my clear visor. This makes it a lot easier to block the sun if it's low in the sky, and keeps the bright light of the sky out of my eyes the rest of the time.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM
It wasn't me

Duct tape
tie-downs
Chain lube (for long trips)

<$30 at Wal-Mart, about 7" X 7"

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy123 View Post
Little late on this post. I see no one said a Radar detector?
Did someone say radar detector? I also have a 12V cigarette plug-in installed to the right hand side ram-air cover. I use it for my mini air compressor or to charge my cell phone while I'm riding. I have a 12V cigarette plug-in wired to my fuse box that allows me to plug in the fused/converter power cord for my TomTom GPS.

All three power wires, GPS, Radar Detector, and 12V cigarette plug-in have been ran very neatly together with those little small black zip ties, since they mostly go to the same areas on the bike.

The radar detector is mounted on a TechMount Faring mount with heavy duty hook and loop Velcro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Levers 007.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	192563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug IN 002.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	596.4 KB
ID:	192564  
Attached Images

SBN KAWASAKI FORUM MODERATOR

USAF DESERT STORM VETERAN 1984-1997 SUPPORT OUR TROOPS Indy MotoGP 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 DEALS GAP 05, 06 x2, 07, 08, 09, 10 x2, 11 x2, 12 x2, 13 x2, 14, 15x2 16x2

2004 ZZR1200
2006 ZZR600
2008 Ninja 250
2014 Ninja 1000 ABS
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
SBN Rookie

Believe It Or Not

I'm at an advantage because I have a Sargent saddle and a hard, QD rear trunk case mounted to a modified Ventura rack (but using the Ventura L-brackets). Consequently, I carry all sorts of stuff (see below) that I never hopefully will need, which if I did not drag along would of course immediately would require for a roadside fix (Boy Scout / SEAL Team 1 philosophy). I have used my tire plug kit and Co2 filler on a friend’s RC51 but otherwise never have touched it (knock on plastic - NOP). The added weight of all the stuff I carry in addition to the OEM tool kit possibly exceeds 10 pounds! Of course I also always carry my cell phone, Cobra RD & have a Garmin Nuvi 765T w/BT & MP3 player (feeds stereo BT ear buds with navigation & tunes; don’t bother with connecting to cell).

In the Sargent saddle tool tube and a zipper leatherette bag in the trunk plus stashed in the trunk and under the saddle: OEM Tool Kit, Vice-grips, Super Leatherman, duct tape, Super Silicone (adhesiveless) tape, lighter-meltable hot glue, electrical tape and wire, zip-ties, a small tow rope, on long trips mc jumper cables, a travel battery charger and one or two 1.23 qt. camping stove "spare" gas bottle, 2 small LED flashlights (1 of which you can hold in your mouth while working) and when camping also carry a LED/Halogen headlamp, extra headlight, stop/tail & turn signal bulbs, an emergency "space" blanket, Areostitch's sport touring First Aid kit, more bandages and antibacterial ointment, alcohol wipes, a razor blade/holder, spare ear plugs, a side stand plate with remind-me-to-take-it lanyard and handlebar hook, tire plug kit, Co2 filler with at least 10 cartridges, screwdrivers, special wrenches, ratchet & sockets, a mini-adjustable wrench (very handy) and 7" adjustable wrench, clear 3/8" ID hose (for gas siphoning), tweezers and scissors, tire gauge, Motrin, lighter, pen, pencil and note pad, Magicmarker, a mini-RS electric multi-tester, spare fuses, sunscreen and bug repellent, a small microfiber towel, a faces shield cleaning kit plus a small bottle of Rain-X, water bottle, a clear face shield in a thin helmet bag (I wear a dark tint during the day), sunglasses, maps, rain/cold weather gloves back-of-the-hand squeegee, a windproof wind triangle, spare , head sweat, a windproof and rain resistant PB bicycle illumiNITE jacket, crimp connectors & splices, adjustable bungie cords, a disk lock, lightsticks, elastic hair ties & rubber bands, caution tape, a baseball hat, Totes rubber over boots, an 3/16" diameter X 24" vinyl covered lock cable and a separate helmet cable with built-in lock, on long trips an electric tire pump I made from the guts of a C-H unit plus a dual-cigarette plug outlet (that also can be used with my cell phone car charger) that plugs into the coaxial receptor that I plug my Battery Tender into, mini-bungies, more zip-ties, the remote for my alarm, a disk lock with caution tape taped to it (a bright reminder to remove b4 flight), spare keys, extra batteries, gum and lozenges, cigars, hand & foot warmer packets, eye drops, spare eye glasses & sun glasses, my insurance card & DOT excerpt on how headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states (I have needed it at least once), plumber's epoxy, spare gloves sometimes for hot or colder weather, and other stuff I'd have to check to see I forgot about. Everything is organized in zip-lock freezer bags (plus spare bags) and I have a small LED light velcro'd to my full face helmets for map reading, and on my helmets my blood type, "no med allergies" and "do not remove helmet" stickers I made. I have a Scott Oiler, so chain lube is not required (except I also bring a refill bottle & pint of engine oil plus "2nd side stand" in made that lifts the rear tire for long trips), Camel Back, tank bag, etc.
In 60,000 miles on my VTR I've never had to do a road-side repair of my bike... (KOP)
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin726 View Post
My tire repair kit is always with me on my rides.
+1 its alwas stashed in the tail/trunk

89 Mazda RX-7 Vert Stock. 74 Mazda R.E.P.U. Flare Yellow far from stock. 05 ZZR600, moded well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in