The best bike trip ever! - Page 5 - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
geg
500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

there's a church up there! and merc figures we need to go see it.

pretty nice climb, one Alps-like switchback had me hoping for more, but sadly it was not to be.

at the top

555 m

the view... our campsite was out on that spit of land straight ahead.

the church

08 Moto Guzzi Norge
04 Honda XR 650-L
96 Triumph T3 Sprint

SBN Euro Bikes Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 AM
geg
500 GP Racer

the lads (looking a bit worse for wear)

a little viewing platform

bunch of wood below the platform.. like one has collapsed?

hmmmm

they had a "history of the region" as you walked along the edge

interesting...
I know the answer

In days of yore, from Britain's shore,
Wolfe, the dauntless hero came,
And planted firm Britannia's flag,
On Canada's fair domain.
Here may it wave, our boast, our pride,
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

"name that tune"

with enough pics from the top of the hill we head back down. it's a toll road BTW, but I think we got our $4.50's worth!

we set off west along the shore as it starts to get a bit darker... I knew I should have worn my waterproof pants this morning...

more in a bit

08 Moto Guzzi Norge
04 Honda XR 650-L
96 Triumph T3 Sprint

SBN Euro Bikes Moderator

post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
It wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
They have a removable thermal liner. They work well as cold weather pants, rain pants, and over pants. Only time they are less than perfect is if it's really hot... no venting.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
SBN Rookie

Quick best

Left home and kept making turns right above the SC NC border past 215 and Cruso, Ended up lost in a Valley for 100 miles and then on a Gravel road for 1.5 hours just looking for a way to leave the valley. Ended up on The BRP through a 4 ft gate. Rode that back through Lake Lure and to home.

I enjoyed being lost in such a nice place minus the gravel.

Tour Ready FZ1
KTM 300 EXC

Who wants to do Alaska with me?
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Best trip was last year's adventure on the BRP. Very good riding, beautiful roads, good riding buddy to share the experience. Camping and biking - two hobbies that go great together...

Where me and the bike have been

ZZR 600: Dynojet stage 1, FP +4 advancer, Yoshimura RS3 slip on, K&N filter, Euro ECU, 42T Driven rear

ZRX 1200: K&N filter, Ivan's Jet Kit, +4 Kwick advancer, 45T SuperSprox rear, SS/CF Fully Muzzy Exhaust, Muzzy block off plates
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM
THE LEAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
day 2;

so we set off from Mount Blue after a proper (bacon filled) breakfast.

Light mist, but it wasn't too bad, until we got about 15 minutes into the ride, then it started pissing down again. Not many pics this day, just too crappy. Every time we turned east (or even north-east) the skies would open up... was someone trying to tell us something?

At Skewhegan we tried turning northwest a bit to stay out of the front we kept catching.. it worked for a while, but at Dover Foxcroft we got pissed on once again

We got to Howland & started thinking about a hotel instead of a campsite. We'd hoped to make the border, but the Gamin wasn't hopeful of lodging, and eastward meant rain, so we went north instead. Ended the night at the EconoLodge in Millnocket.

good time to let things dry out!

about 200 boring / wet miles behind us.

I lived in Levant a little town north of Bangor. I had lots of fun rideing thoses roads in maine. Just not when the freeze humps were in season. Canada slways seems to have nice campgrounds for americans to dry off in.
I did the same heading off for the great lakes. rained all the way to the border and in the other side it was sunny.

I don,t just ride strait lines.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Old Geezer

Columbus, Ohio to Anchorage, Alaska in the summer of 2006. I've got 6 weeks vacation so I took the month of June off and left for Anchorage. 10,563 miles all told. What a trip!!! I cheated though. I rode the Venture.

1999 Yamaha Venture
[B][COLOR="Red"]2007 Yamaha FZ6

Last edited by rbesr; 04-14-2009 at 09:02 PM.
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Bandito

My best trip so far isn't that spectacular, but my buddy and I are planning an epic 4-week loop around the USA for Sept/Oct 2010. We'll be doing a lot of camping to save money on hotels, and so we can stick to the back roads as much as possible. We're starting to chronicle the preparations for our trip at MotoTour 2010

But, so far, my best trip was actuall a trip to Deal's Gap. I had been there before, and have been there since, but back in 2005 I loaded up the Bandit and rode down and back. 2-1/2 days down (a few hours on the highway Friday from Philly to Front Royal, VA, then 2 days meandering down the BRP and over to Robbinsville, NC). It took longer than I expected (buddies of mine did from Front Royal to Cherokee and back up to Asheville in one long day) due to pea-soup fog the first day on the BRP - I was doing like 20mph the whole way and decided to quit and get a hotel room in Boone, NC by 4:00 that afternoon. A week riding around the Gap area (we get a cabin in Robbinsville every year) and my buddy Fred joined be for a 3-day ride back (he had ridden down seperately from his home in Massachusetts). Nothing spectacular, and I haven't had the urge to ride down to Deal's Gap again even though I love the BRP. It's just better to trailer down overnight with the other guys to save on the bike's tires and have more time down there. I will be hitting the BRP for a weekend in June, though, to do some moto-camping and hanging out with a buddy that's riding to VA from Denver.

Jeff G., Philadelphia, PA
Suzuki 1216 Bandit streetfighter/1999 Honda VFR800

"I has GPS!"

post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Umbrella Girl

europe trips

hello out there,
in the name of the "sport(bikes) tourers ;o), id like to share some of my bike travelling memories with you.
best trip ever has been to the pyrenees (the mountain borderline between spain and france). we rocked the mountain roads thee very nice and fast, an indication for our ambition was the tyre wear: new continental road attacks lasted only 2300 kms (thats roughly 1440 miles), so extremely sticky was the tarmac there .
we travelled with following bikes there:
- vfr (modell 2005)
- sprint ST
- FZ 1
- R 6 (2002 modell ?)
- Z 750 (2004)
it was an absolute amazing, 10 days long travel- no cops who cared about us, no crash (neither a near miss moment)--all perfect!!
my mate scraped/grinded the rear downpipe of his vfr (yepp!) on the r/h side twisties, and myself did same on the bellypan of the trumpet. the hero blobs are long gone of both our bikes. later i grinded the centerstand mounting bracket (frameside)- then i decided to call it a day with that kind of speed and leanangle.

second best ever trip:
maritime alps in france (i guess it was 2006?) with the same gang as above.
so many highlights there, just too less time to write about

this year in june we will invade south-tyrol (part of northern italy) for the, i think, 6th time so far.

if anyone can tell me how to post more pictures here, ill try to sort out some of the highlights.
see you
fred
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
SBN Rookie

Lemoore CA to Fallon NV

I am stationed at NAS Lemoore and going to NAS Fallon on 21 March. Looks like a great opportunity to ride the bike. Anybody know how the roads will be this time of year? Would this be a good idea?

Thanks!
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Club Racer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Pics from a long trip around 94 or 95. This morning we left Cloudcroft, NM early - 24 degrees F. Rode to Carlsbad Caverns, walked down into the caverns and rode the elevator back up. Rode to Fr Davis TX and spent the night at the Gage Hotel in Marathon. Slept pretty hard that night. My wife on her F2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in