3 best states to do some sport-toruing in? - Sportbikes.net
Sport-Touring Information on Sport Touring throughout the world. Tank bags, Gear, saddle bags, Camp sites. Share your information here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Andy Bell is my hero.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

3 best states to do some sport-toruing in?

I you had to pick 3 states with great roads, scenery, and where you would love to ride for days and days, which would you choose and why?

Mine would probably be in no particular order.....

1. California (Northern half) - I hear lots and lots of good things about N. California. I think the Pacific Coast Highway would be an awesome ride. Plus a lot of the pics I've seen of the back roads look amazing. Hopefull someday soon I'll make it out there.

2. Colorado - Been there a bunch and never get tired of going back. So many choices of mountain roads. What a blast.

3. Tennessee - Of cource you have Deals Gap there, but there are so many other roads that you could spend days and days on. I just love how everyting is so green in that part of the country.

So what's your favorites?

SUPER MODERATOR

Maturity is vastly overrated.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't let it get in the way of a good time.

Best piece of advice,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 AM
geg
500 GP Racer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I liked North Carolina when we were down there last year. Vermont is nice (because it's close) and Nova Scotia ROCKED (but it's not a state). I did a ride out to western NY a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the highways & scenery. I think, no matter where you go on two wheels, you can find some cool roads. Every state is different, and that's a good thing.

Secondary roads (and a good GPS) are your friend

08 Moto Guzzi Norge
04 Honda XR 650-L
96 Triumph T3 Sprint

SBN Euro Bikes Moderator

post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 PM
I can pass this guy...

in no order from best to worst...

1 - Colorado. Good twisty roads, nice places to stop and look, take picture.

2 - Arkansas - Roads as good as Colorado, nice places to stop and look, take picture. a LOT CHEAPER than Colorado.

3 - Race track...

Quote:
Capitalism defeated Communism. And it's on its way in defeating Democracy.
Looking for a first bike? Look no further then a Turbo Busa.

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Club Racer

The NC, GA, TN area is nice, and you can hit them in a day.
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I knocked up Snookie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

1. California. It think you can tour that state for a month straight and still miss something.

2. Wherever the hell Moab is. Utah?

3. New Mexico. I love driving between Taos and Santa Fe. Still a ton of places I haven't been out there.

"...I am a motorcycle-Samurai, and I have beat my Demons." -YK

"This will not increase my ability to mate"

Official Associate Member of the G-town Squid Squad

Motorcycles: "It's just really, really cool. You guys, seriously. They make this noise that's like BRAAMM and they go superfast..."
The Following User Says Thank You to busarider54 For This Useful Post:
buelligan63 (02-16-2015)
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM
18 Hours to Daytona

I think I got you guys beat...

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries!

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 PM
World 500 GP Racer

1. The Ozarks (NW Arkansas up into SW/Central MO) Why? Close to home and WAY FUN! Last year did a 1k mile 3 day loop riding/camping and spent a whopping $150 total and didn't feel like I had been frugal at all.

2. Smoky Mts area (TN/SC/GA) I don't feel like I need to explain.

3. West coast and/or CO. Never been there with a bike

Really, anyplace with some type of a mountain range and you can't go wrong.

I would also really like to go up into the NE US/New England area

The places that I would never want to ride...

The Plains states. I've done Kansas in a car more than I care to do and it sucks azz.
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 PM

I'ma give another vote for New Mexico... cant any others cause I don't have any experience in them. Southwestern New Mexico has some great roads in the hills and leading into Southeastern Arizona... can find some great rides there.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Quiet Old Guy

I cast my votes for CO, WY, and northern ID!
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Old Fart

Tx

Too bad they are all in Texas!

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by texBahn

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries!

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

'05 Faster Silver FZ6
Mods: Dual Headlight Mod | Corbin Seat | Killer Noodle Clutch Lever | PC III | K&N Air | Fazer FE Kit
| Grip Puppies | Gen Mar 1" handlebar risers |
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Club Racer

Best three places

1) N.W. Arkansas --Great Roads Plus they are close.

2) Colorado--I must say West Colorado, because East Colo is too much like Kansas

3) NorthCarolina--Cherohala Skyway and Deals gap area

Bill
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
18 Hours to Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear8b View Post
Too bad they are all in Texas!

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

I must say this: I have noticed (and others have remarked to me) that if the road is on the Texas travel map, it is almost always in great condition. Having lived here a while, I don't buy the "too bad it's in Texas" bit! People are generally friendlier on and off the road here. (particularly in rural areas)

post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
stayin' sucka free

Well, being limited to the states that I've actually ridden in, I would have to say:

1) California - The combination of varied terrains/climates, never ending supply of great twisty roads, and great riding weather makes California a motorcyclists wet dream.

2) Utah - This state has some of the most amazing scenery, as well as some great roads. It absolutely knocked my socks off. At some points you feel like you've been transported to another planet.

3) California - Yeah, what can I say... I'm biased besides, I think it would take a lifetime to enjoy all the great roads in this state.

"Yea, though I ride through the valley of the shadow of the Harley, I will fear no R.U.B.: For my FZ6 art with me; thy power, thy speed and thy handling they comfort me." -- Metrics 23:4
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM
F&D

My favorites for sport-touring so far, in order of preference:

1) Virginia. BRP and Skyline Drive. Just Gorgeous
2) Upstate New York.
3) Pennsylvania
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Sportbike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by texBahn View Post

I would have to agree with you on your choices! I will be traveling next week or the week after to the area and will be hittin the hill country and areas further west..... It's been a couple years since I've been down. Lookin forward to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in