Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   Sport-Touring (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sport-touring/)
-   -   3 best states to do some sport-toruing in? (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sport-touring/373952-3-best-states-do-some-sport-toruing.html)

Justin726 11-20-2007 05:29 AM

3 best states to do some sport-toruing in?

2171 Attachment(s)
I you had to pick 3 states with great roads, scenery, and where you would love to ride for days and days, which would you choose and why?

Mine would probably be in no particular order.....

1. California (Northern half) - I hear lots and lots of good things about N. California. I think the Pacific Coast Highway would be an awesome ride. Plus a lot of the pics I've seen of the back roads look amazing. Hopefull someday soon I'll make it out there.

2. Colorado - Been there a bunch and never get tired of going back. So many choices of mountain roads. What a blast.

3. Tennessee - Of cource you have Deals Gap there, but there are so many other roads that you could spend days and days on. I just love how everyting is so green in that part of the country.

So what's your favorites?

geg 11-20-2007 08:32 AM

I liked North Carolina when we were down there last year. Vermont is nice (because it's close) and Nova Scotia ROCKED (but it's not a state). I did a ride out to western NY a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the highways & scenery. I think, no matter where you go on two wheels, you can find some cool roads. Every state is different, and that's a good thing.

Secondary roads (and a good GPS) are your friend

R1100S-Rider 11-20-2007 10:18 PM

in no order from best to worst...

1 - Colorado. Good twisty roads, nice places to stop and look, take picture.

2 - Arkansas - Roads as good as Colorado, nice places to stop and look, take picture. a LOT CHEAPER than Colorado.

3 - Race track...

Buellbomb 11-21-2007 07:12 AM

The NC, GA, TN area is nice, and you can hit them in a day.

busarider54 11-21-2007 12:01 PM

1. California. It think you can tour that state for a month straight and still miss something.

2. Wherever the hell Moab is. Utah?

3. New Mexico. I love driving between Taos and Santa Fe. Still a ton of places I haven't been out there.

texBahn 11-21-2007 08:12 PM

I think I got you guys beat...

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries! :neener

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

slimjim 11-21-2007 09:05 PM

1. The Ozarks (NW Arkansas up into SW/Central MO) Why? Close to home and WAY FUN! Last year did a 1k mile 3 day loop riding/camping and spent a whopping $150 total and didn't feel like I had been frugal at all.:banana

2. Smoky Mts area (TN/SC/GA) I don't feel like I need to explain.:)

3. West coast and/or CO. Never been there with a bike:cry

Really, anyplace with some type of a mountain range and you can't go wrong.

I would also really like to go up into the NE US/New England area

The places that I would never want to ride...

The Plains states. I've done Kansas in a car more than I care to do and it sucks azz.

Goin Ape Nutz 11-22-2007 12:05 AM

I'ma give another vote for New Mexico... cant any others cause I don't have any experience in them. Southwestern New Mexico has some great roads in the hills and leading into Southeastern Arizona... can find some great rides there.

Keith B 11-23-2007 03:58 PM

I cast my votes for CO, WY, and northern ID!

bear8b 11-24-2007 09:09 PM

Tx

Too bad they are all in Texas! :lao

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries! :neener

bcutter 11-26-2007 09:45 PM

Best three places

1) N.W. Arkansas --Great Roads Plus they are close.

2) Colorado--I must say West Colorado, because East Colo is too much like Kansas

3) NorthCarolina--Cherohala Skyway and Deals gap area

Bill

texBahn 11-27-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear8b (Post 3259577)
Too bad they are all in Texas! :lao

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

:lao:neener

I must say this: I have noticed (and others have remarked to me) that if the road is on the Texas travel map, it is almost always in great condition. Having lived here a while, I don't buy the "too bad it's in Texas" bit! People are generally friendlier on and off the road here. (particularly in rural areas)

Lucky_Devil 11-27-2007 01:17 PM

Well, being limited to the states that I've actually ridden in, I would have to say:

1) California - The combination of varied terrains/climates, never ending supply of great twisty roads, and great riding weather makes California a motorcyclists wet dream.

2) Utah - This state has some of the most amazing scenery, as well as some great roads. It absolutely knocked my socks off. At some points you feel like you've been transported to another planet.

3) California - Yeah, what can I say... I'm biased :twofinger besides, I think it would take a lifetime to enjoy all the great roads in this state.

F&D 12-06-2007 09:29 AM

My favorites for sport-touring so far, in order of preference:

1) Virginia. BRP and Skyline Drive. Just Gorgeous
2) Upstate New York.
3) Pennsylvania

RCKT GRL 12-06-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn (Post 3256487)

I would have to agree with you on your choices! I will be traveling next week or the week after to the area and will be hittin the hill country and areas further west..... It's been a couple years since I've been down. Lookin forward to it!

94rf900r 12-06-2007 01:58 PM

west virginia 88, 250, 7 badass roads

Broc Lee 12-06-2007 03:33 PM

Guess I will have to ring in for Arizona..... we have some great mountain twists here. :)

CBRWildChild 12-08-2007 11:28 AM

even SE Arkansas has some really nice riding...Queen Wilamena down around mena is a good ride...and pretty much all over the SE...

SE Virginia...and northern NC...Sand Banks Road...anyone that has been on it...nuff said...

lastly...and not in order...i would think palomar mountain area...never been there but the video makes my heart beat fast...maybe one day i will be there...

texBahn 12-09-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCKT GRL (Post 3280854)
I would have to agree with you on your choices! I will be traveling next week or the week after to the area and will be hittin the hill country and areas further west..... It's been a couple years since I've been down. Lookin forward to it!

Feel free to send me a PM when you do head this way. I should be free to ride on a Sunday/Monday if you don't mind a fugly (you have to see it to believe it) FJR tagging along. We've also been having some exceptionally warm weather lately. So you have to prepare for freezing to 80's weather... What's up with that!?

If you're really bored, you could ask for MHO on some of the better places to ride. Or check my blog which hasn't been updated for over a week. :bitchslap

TejasRider 12-09-2007 11:41 PM

How did you fugly up your FJR???

BTW, I'm hopefully a few weeks away from my '08.

Bredebee 12-09-2007 11:47 PM

I say So Cal is number 1!

PCHbreeze 12-12-2007 11:12 PM

So Cal is ok for warm beaches, but not sport touring/touring at all. Nor Cal is awesome and after two trips to Baltimore/Pennsylania last month, I have a new found respect for the east coast.
I can't compare Nor Cal to any other state, but it has to be among the worlds best...imagine a not so cold German forest. You can throw a dart on the board at a map of Nor Cal and then another, and the road in between is guaranteed to be great. South of San Jose, its best to stick to the coast. There's also the Sierra Nevadas that go down to Central Ca and borders Nevada.
Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn (Post 3256487)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/fun/ban_him.jpg

TejasRider 12-12-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broc Lee (Post 3281280)
Guess I will have to ring in for Arizona..... we have some great mountain twists here. :)

Coronado Trail in Eastern Arizona between Morenci and Alpine is outstanding and such little traffic. Probably at the top of my list of great hardly used roads.

tarosean 12-13-2007 01:31 AM

Southwestern CO.
Northern CA (Yosemite up if that qualifies as northern..)
Northern NM

SAHTT 12-14-2007 09:38 PM

Plus in TX, unlike CO, utah, even TN sometimes, you can ride year round for the most part. West TX is hard to beat all around, though there are some better places certain times of the year.

Wakey 12-14-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buellbomb (Post 3255754)

"Tell him what he's won Chuck!"

:banana

peoples1234 12-14-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buellbomb (Post 3255754)

+1

Also, rural MD and WV mountains, another combo you can do in one day.

texBahn 12-15-2007 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCHbreeze (Post 3292231)

:neener:twofinger

You California guys are just jealous! That's why so many of you wind up here in Texas!

:banme

Quote:

Originally Posted by TejasRider (Post 3286519)
How did you fugly up your FJR???

BTW, I'm hopefully a few weeks away from my '08.

Ah, yes... The '08 is here with the statement: black is beautiful!

As for my '03... It's wearing a mix of '05 plastics with the original '03 in order to have the factory integrated turn signals and the glove box. I've not gotten all the plastics the same color... yet. So, it's quite fugly at the moment! :bitchslap

Str8away Hater 12-15-2007 02:25 PM

Most of you probably read about my latest trip through TN, KY, WV, VA, and NC. I've explored all of central to eastern TN, most of north GA, and north AL. I'm also very familiar with west NC. I'm lucky to live by so much great riding.

However, nothing I've ridden can top the 1.5 days I spent exploring WV. If you desire to ride 100's of miles of curvy two lane roads, try WV. You can link roads together, and literally ride 4-500 miles of nothing but beautiful curvy roads with next to no traffic!

I will eventually make it farther north, and farther west, but WV is where its at in the east...

AWM 01-11-2008 09:25 AM

Just three?If were just talking paved roads,then it would have to be,
1.Upstate New York
2.Vermont
3.Idaho
Yes i've riden 39 out 50.I'm work'n on the other 11.

texBahn 01-12-2008 08:07 AM

Oh, yeah... Vermont. I had forgotten about that place. (You know, since it's cold there!) Lots of twisty two-laners to get anywhere plus beautiful scenery and quaint towns...

I've heard positive things about Idaho, but not for riding. Why is it in your top 3? (And where specifically would you ride?)

Now if you could ride in those places year-round, (like TEXAS... or even little ol' California) I could see why it might make the top 3...

mac 1 01-12-2008 08:47 AM

Smoky Mts area (TN/SC/GA)
&
Northern & N Eastern part of California (Yosemite & Tahoe area)
also
N Michigan

:cheers

AWM 01-16-2008 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn (Post 3332586)
Oh, yeah... Vermont. I had forgotten about that place. (You know, since it's cold there!) Lots of twisty two-laners to get anywhere plus beautiful scenery and quaint towns...

I've heard positive things about Idaho, but not for riding. Why is it in your top 3? (And where specifically would you ride?)

Now if you could ride in those places year-round, (like TEXAS... or even little ol' California) I could see why it might make the top 3...

Texas is a great big place to ride.Alot of straight lines.
I've done rt109 in cali,outstanding.Alot of [email protected]#$k'n wacky people in cages!
Weather[cold[ is part of ride'n a motorcycle.I rode xmas day[34 degrees]i rode new years eve[31 degrees]as long as you dress right warm your tires up before you push it,and watch the sh$t in the road.Everybodys different,and you can ride year round in those places.The world ain't Texas.
Idaho,what a place!I will pull up my records and tell you where to go in that state.The whole time i rode thru that state i thought i was in the :boink:boinkAlps.Switchbacks as far as you could see,up hill,down hill,no traffic.Only little towns spaced here and there[had to watch your gas]I burned the sides off a almost new set of tires.
All the way home from the west coast 3678 miles,Idaho was the best people, cleanest,safest,and twistiest roads i'd been on.
Because its cold is no reason to puss out and not ride.Cali and Texas are great places.For that matter,the whole country is filled with different roads,weather,people and veiws.I just told you what states were my favorite,they might not be yours.
Besides i'm not done see'n them all yet it might get better!

TejasRider 01-16-2008 10:29 AM

next time you come to Texas drop us a note. we're pretty serious about making our interstates as straight as possible to let traffic move through quickly, but if you're wanting to see some great places to ride, we could fill a few months of riding and likely still have lots of the state untouched.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2/HPIM0294.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2/Dscn0231.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2/Dscn0232.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...2/Dscn0224.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...7/Ss850107.jpg

AWM 01-16-2008 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=TejasRider;3338834]next time you come to Texas drop us a note. we're pretty serious about making our interstates as straight as possible to let traffic move through quickly, but if you're wanting to see some great places to ride, we could fill a few months of riding and likely still have lots of the state untouched.

Thanks for the invite!Texas is a big big place!But it would be hard just to bring one bike.I'd have to find a way to get the dual sport down there too.
I'll tell you what,get a hold if you ever want to go north,come ride with a yankee.I don't live anywhere near that city,and theres alot of ride'n you'd never think was hear!I live 10 minutes from Vermont,21/2 hours from Canada.
15 miles from the largest state park in the country,7 million acres Adirondak park.
It only snows in the winter.:onfloorApril to November is the ride season.

texBahn 01-18-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWM (Post 3338788)
Texas is a great big place to ride.Alot of straight lines.

The world ain't Texas.

Idaho,what a place!I will pull up my records and tell you where to go in that state.The whole time i rode thru that state i thought i was in the Alps.Switchbacks as far as you could see,up hill,down hill,no traffic.Only little towns spaced here and there[had to watch your gas]I burned the sides off a almost new set of tires. All the way home from the west coast 3678 miles,Idaho was the best people, cleanest,safest,and twistiest roads i'd been on.

Because its cold is no reason to puss out and not ride.

Cali and Texas are great places.For that matter,the whole country is filled with different roads,weather,people and veiws.I just told you what states were my favorite,they might not be yours.
Besides i'm not done see'n them all yet it might get better!

:slaugh

Yeah, about 1/3 of the world is Texas! :lao
I must admit that the straight lines in certain places are quite annoying. Most of those were made more exciting by dodging roadkill...

...now I want to go visit Idaho...
Is it on the north or west side of Texas? :brick

I ride in the cold all the time. Like when it gets below 70
(fwiw j/k some of my best rides ever were spent freezing my @$$ off!)

I'm down with that... And btw, thanks for sharing! :cheers

AWM 01-18-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn (Post 3341790)
:slaugh

Yeah, about 1/3 of the world is Texas! :lao
I must admit that the straight lines in certain places are quite annoying. Most of those were made more exciting by dodging roadkill...

...now I want to go visit Idaho...
Is it on the north or west side of Texas? :brick

I ride in the cold all the time. Like when it gets below 70
(fwiw j/k some of my best rides ever were spent freezing my @$$ off!)

I'm down with that... And btw, thanks for sharing! :cheers

Its all good my friend!:boink
I would like to get down around El Paso.I have El Paso saddlery make some custom leather [holsters,belts,etc]for me here and there.And,man i got a nice Smith&Wesson 29,nickel full ingraved thats die'n for a fully carved Tommy Threepersons!
You know what you Texas boys call,a BBQ gun.

mikeym 01-18-2008 12:45 PM

1) North Carolina
2) Tennessee
3) Upper State Pennsylvania

- would love to do Colorado, just haven't

JaiBird 01-18-2008 01:01 PM

I agree with mikeym on choices, but like to add GA and WV to it too.

texBahn 01-19-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWM (Post 3342440)
Its all good my friend!:boink
I would like to get down around El Paso.I have El Paso saddlery make some custom leather [holsters,belts,etc]for me here and there.And,man i got a nice Smith&Wesson 29,nickel full ingraved thats die'n for a fully carved Tommy Threepersons!
You know what you Texas boys call,a BBQ gun.

Nuts, El Paso is a hop, skip and a jump to the Guadalupe Mts and the Big Bend area! Very scenic, indeed!

The ol' lady won't let me pack heat. She's smarter than I am: I'd be using it all the time! But THAT's a topic that gets everyone all riled up...