Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   Sport-Touring (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sport-touring/)
-   -   3 best states to do some sport-toruing in? (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sport-touring/373952-3-best-states-do-some-sport-toruing.html)

Justin726 11-20-2007 05:29 AM

3 best states to do some sport-toruing in?

2171 Attachment(s)
I you had to pick 3 states with great roads, scenery, and where you would love to ride for days and days, which would you choose and why?

Mine would probably be in no particular order.....

1. California (Northern half) - I hear lots and lots of good things about N. California. I think the Pacific Coast Highway would be an awesome ride. Plus a lot of the pics I've seen of the back roads look amazing. Hopefull someday soon I'll make it out there.

2. Colorado - Been there a bunch and never get tired of going back. So many choices of mountain roads. What a blast.

3. Tennessee - Of cource you have Deals Gap there, but there are so many other roads that you could spend days and days on. I just love how everyting is so green in that part of the country.

So what's your favorites?

g®eg™ 11-20-2007 08:32 AM

I liked North Carolina when we were down there last year. Vermont is nice (because it's close) and Nova Scotia ROCKED (but it's not a state). I did a ride out to western NY a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the highways & scenery. I think, no matter where you go on two wheels, you can find some cool roads. Every state is different, and that's a good thing.

Secondary roads (and a good GPS) are your friend

R1100S-Rider 11-20-2007 10:18 PM

in no order from best to worst...

1 - Colorado. Good twisty roads, nice places to stop and look, take picture.

2 - Arkansas - Roads as good as Colorado, nice places to stop and look, take picture. a LOT CHEAPER than Colorado.

3 - Race track...

Buellbomb 11-21-2007 07:12 AM

The NC, GA, TN area is nice, and you can hit them in a day.

busarider54 11-21-2007 12:01 PM

1. California. It think you can tour that state for a month straight and still miss something.

2. Wherever the hell Moab is. Utah?

3. New Mexico. I love driving between Taos and Santa Fe. Still a ton of places I haven't been out there.

texBahn 11-21-2007 08:12 PM

I think I got you guys beat...

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries! :neener

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

slimjim 11-21-2007 09:05 PM

1. The Ozarks (NW Arkansas up into SW/Central MO) Why? Close to home and WAY FUN! Last year did a 1k mile 3 day loop riding/camping and spent a whopping $150 total and didn't feel like I had been frugal at all.:banana

2. Smoky Mts area (TN/SC/GA) I don't feel like I need to explain.:)

3. West coast and/or CO. Never been there with a bike:cry

Really, anyplace with some type of a mountain range and you can't go wrong.

I would also really like to go up into the NE US/New England area

The places that I would never want to ride...

The Plains states. I've done Kansas in a car more than I care to do and it sucks azz.

Goin Ape Nutz 11-22-2007 12:05 AM

I'ma give another vote for New Mexico... cant any others cause I don't have any experience in them. Southwestern New Mexico has some great roads in the hills and leading into Southeastern Arizona... can find some great rides there.

Keith B 11-23-2007 03:58 PM

I cast my votes for CO, WY, and northern ID!

bear8b 11-24-2007 09:09 PM

Tx

Too bad they are all in Texas! :lao

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries! :neener

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

bcutter 11-26-2007 09:45 PM

Best three places

1) N.W. Arkansas --Great Roads Plus they are close.

2) Colorado--I must say West Colorado, because East Colo is too much like Kansas

3) NorthCarolina--Cherohala Skyway and Deals gap area

Bill

texBahn 11-27-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear8b (Post 3259577)
Too bad they are all in Texas! :lao

New Western Washington and Eastern Washington are 2 great places to ride.

Kevin

:lao:neener

I must say this: I have noticed (and others have remarked to me) that if the road is on the Texas travel map, it is almost always in great condition. Having lived here a while, I don't buy the "too bad it's in Texas" bit! People are generally friendlier on and off the road here. (particularly in rural areas)

Lucky_Devil 11-27-2007 01:17 PM

Well, being limited to the states that I've actually ridden in, I would have to say:

1) California - The combination of varied terrains/climates, never ending supply of great twisty roads, and great riding weather makes California a motorcyclists wet dream.

2) Utah - This state has some of the most amazing scenery, as well as some great roads. It absolutely knocked my socks off. At some points you feel like you've been transported to another planet.

3) California - Yeah, what can I say... I'm biased :twofinger besides, I think it would take a lifetime to enjoy all the great roads in this state.

F&D 12-06-2007 09:29 AM

My favorites for sport-touring so far, in order of preference:

1) Virginia. BRP and Skyline Drive. Just Gorgeous
2) Upstate New York.
3) Pennsylvania

RCKT GRL 12-06-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texBahn (Post 3256487)

I would have to agree with you on your choices! I will be traveling next week or the week after to the area and will be hittin the hill country and areas further west..... It's been a couple years since I've been down. Lookin forward to it!