User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's so good to be, er, back !!

Hi Guys,
It's great to have an active RG forum again !
Will try and check in daily, and join in where I can ...
Will think of you and your Gammas when I'm out with the HK SBKers on mine tomorrow morn !!
Carefree in Hong Kong,
Todd
P.S. Many thanks to Rick L for the invite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
SBN Rookie

Hey, Todd!

Nice to see you here on the forum!

Say, what's the skinny on Gamma spares in HK? Specifically RG400 heads. I am looking for a box of 'em.

Regards,

Rick
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Hi Rick !

RG spares are pretty rare in HK, altho' the Suzuki franchise dealer is quite helpful.
I wouldn't expect to find any RG400 heads here, but I will ask around for you.
Will be in touch shortly regarding my RG, btw !
Best wishes,
Todd.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

p.s. I wish my RG looked as good as that one :-)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfeitsai View Post
RG spares are pretty rare in HK, altho' the Suzuki franchise dealer is quite helpful.
I wouldn't expect to find any RG400 heads here, but I will ask around for you.
Will be in touch shortly regarding my RG, btw !
Best wishes,
Todd.
Hi Todd,

welcome and if you need someone to chat with, there are minimum 3 more owners in your area.
You can contact me at charly(ata)rg500.info , I would give you the contacts of the five I know.

- Ian in HK (half time in LA), (organizer of the HK Classic Motorcycle Show, owns also veeery seldom Skoal Bandit colour sheme RG500Gamma, where he fitted an aftermarket bodywork onto for the MacauGP Show 2006 (said to be the Asian Isle of Man TT and "that's not the only attraction! Macau is also like the Vegas of the East with plenty of "adult" entertainment hehe)" , where Kevin Schwantz wanted to ride on, I gave him kind of support to get a swingarm right in time the other day
- Henry in Macau (sometimes in Canada), he got in contact with Ian and got a pit pass by him , so chatted a view words with Kevin as far as I got reported :-)
- and a chinese owner in HK countryside Ian knows of, who has 3 or 4 RGs sitting full of dust in a backyard barn at a bike repair shop.
- Phil, who was searching a RG50 on the rg500 yahoogroup 2006, maybe he was interested in RG500 ? :-) well, who knows ...
- Baron in Jakarta (well, not exactly around the block of your's :-) ), he was a US citizen, ex TT racer (maybe also GP) side by side with Hailwood and Agostini in the mid 60s ....

Last contact to Ian was in 2007 and to Henry in 2008, Baron yesterday, as a german fellow is maybe interested to buy his 3 Gammas.

The attached two pics are from the chinese barn in the HK countryside, Ian made. Seems, as if one of those are a veeery seldom Pepsi colour sheme RG500Gamma made by Dream Machine the other day in the UK ordered by Suzuki importeur Heron, but just to see the front is not enough to by sure .

Maybe an other interesting source would be Baron near Jakarta, who offered to sell last week his 2 RG400 and 1 RG500, as they are no longer legal in Indonesia to ride on the road.
I give you a copy paste here of his offer:

I am offering for sale my two Suzuki RG 400s and one RG 500, which I have owned since the late 1990s. While all three machines were purchased second-hand, only one has been ridden any distance: I put several thousand kilometres of local touring on the grey 400 (Engine: K301 – 108681 / Frame: HK31A – 108648), when it was still possible to get a temporary road permit.

The Walter Wolf 400 (Engine: K301 – 108673/ Frame: HK31A – 018578) and the 500 (no number on engine cases / Frame: HM31A 104384) were purchased around the time of the 1998 Asian financial crisis, and my own reduced circumstances meant that I was not able to rebuild the machines. I know how to work on motorcycles but do not consider myself a mechanic (I love to ride them and hate to work on them), and there is not even one motorcycle mechanic in Indonesia whom I would trust to overhaul these motorcycles.

More relevantly, full computerization of the Indonesian motor vehicle licensing system, combined with a relentless crackdown on illegally imported motorcycles, means that I would not be able to ride these Gammas on public roads, even if they were running properly.

Up until 2000 it was prohibited to legally import cars or motorcycles into Indonesia; thus, all machines had to be smuggled in, then licensed somehow through pliant police departments (payoffs would facilitate this). All this hanky-panky became very political and sensitive and has thus been stamped out. There are in fact thousands of big motorcycles sitting in the garages of enthusiasts around the country, which cannot be licensed. If the police catch you riding an illegal machine, they will take it away and you’ll never see it again.

In this environment, I have found that keeping my non-running Gammas has been impractical; I thus decided to offer them for sale, first to newsgroup members and then most probably on eBay.

The 400 engines are all in reasonable mechanical condition but should be stripped down and gone through thoroughly, changing seals, gaskets, etc. Traffic here is extremely heavy and the only place to regularly exceed 120 km/h is the toll roads, which are off-limits to motorcycles. Thus, the machines have not been run hard, or otherwise abused. If anything, they are full of carbon and other crud from not having been cleaned out through hard riding. I have ridden only the grey machine extensively; when I first bought it there was so much goo in the engine that it was nearly impossible to run at full throttle: great clouds of blue-black smoke poured out of the pipes. After some hard riding and hot touring it ran cleanly and smoothly, with that fine Gamma howl.

one of these motorcycles have gearbox problems, but the RG500 engine was filled with muddy water during a flash flood in early 2008 and will thus have to be disassembled completely and cleaned out.

I offer all three motorcycles (the 500 engine was removed for an overseas overhaul, but I decided not to go ahead with this) in a package, for an FOB Jakarta fixed price of USD 4000. Shipping it to Europe will most probably add a thousand dollars more in freight, insurance, customs clearance, etc.

Australia would of course be considerably less expensive.

Anyone considering acquiring this set might want to come to Indonesia in person to check them out and oversee crating and shipping personally. I’d be happy to host a buyer who wanted to come in person.

Cheers
Carsten (Aachen-Germany)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RG500 in HongKong 2.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	192690   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG500 in HongKong 1.jpg
Views:	8003
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	192692  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Carsten,
Wow ! Thank you for all that information !
Ian in HK I know of, and I did hear about the 'RGs in a barn' guy - haven't met him yet, but I will try and find him, and maybe contact the other guys too ...
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Todd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in