Best brake line configuration? - Sportbikes.net
Performance and Customizing Share your tips and tricks on customizing your sportbike. From windscreens, footpegs, undertails, flushmounts, paint, exhausts, and tires.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer

Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Best brake line configuration?

Here's the deal - most aftermarket SS brake line kits use two near-equal lines run directly from each caliper to the MC, so I've never had a choice to make before. However, I'm looking at Hel lines, and for my ZX-14 they have three different line configurations available:

1) The aforementioned two line direct MC-caliper configuration
2) The stock configuration, which is a single line MC-right caliper, and a second over-the-fender line to the left caliper
3) A "Y" configuration, single line MC-junction block, then two short lines to either caliper

Now, theoretically, it shouldn't matter how you run the lines; thanks to the miracle of hydraulics the entire system sees the same pressure. In the real world; however, I'm thinking that configuration 2 may be preferable, simply because it provides the shortest total hose length; so whatever percent of expansion there is will occupy less volume/travel. It also has the advantage of simpler hose routing since I can use all the stock mounting points.

Comments, opinions, dirty remarks?

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

That splitter in the stock set-up and the Y set-up is what I try to eliminate. My experience has been that they can trap air and can be difficult to bleed. Also, with the splitter or Y, you have more connections...more possible leaks/problems.

I believe the best set up is a dbl-banjo at the MC and separate line to each caliper.

You should use what you feel most comfortable with.

The founding fathers of America were not career politicians. They were the outlaws; the "angry extremists" who refused to quietly submit to an elite political establishment's oppressive rule over their lives.

NEVER forget that.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM

The double banjo @ the MC is incredibly easy to bleed - when I put my lines on, it probably took 20 minutes of total bleeding time (for both lines).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
OO=[][]=OO

Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,014 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have 'y' fitting a behind the headlight and two symmetrical lines running down to each caliper. They came SS from the factory so i have no plans to replace them. i would however prefer the two lines off of the MC. fewer parts, fewer seals. my least favorite, for aesthetic reasons, is the one line down and one over the fender. I like symmetry.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
World 500 GP Champion

You are right that it doesn't really matter. However the two long lines configuration has more routing issues and the distribution block adds two more places to leak. So I'd stick with one down and one over the fender as a general principle.

-- Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I have 'y' fitting a behind the headlight and two symmetrical lines running down to each caliper. They came SS from the factory so i have no plans to replace them. i would however prefer the two lines off of the MC. fewer parts, fewer seals. my least favorite, for aesthetic reasons, is the one line down and one over the fender. I like symmetry.
Well, it's true my bike turns right better than left, and I'm sure the asymmetric weight of the stock line setup is why, so I'll take that into account.

Tx for the feedback, guys. I'll report back once I've installed whichever lines I get.

KeS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM
OO=[][]=OO

Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,014 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Well, it's true my bike turns right better than left, and I'm sure the asymmetric weight of the stock line setup is why, so I'll take that into account.

Tx for the feedback, guys. I'll report back once I've installed whichever lines I get.

KeS

it's not so much the weight as it is the extra wind resistance. i hear at ~600mph it will cause the bike to veer to the right slightly. it's definatly a safety issue you should be concerned about
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 AM
the joke is in your hand

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

do the 2 line deal. it's easier to install and less hoses etc..I've read in a mag this is the prefered method of installation for racing applications. can't remember why, but it does (as they said) make a difference. I think it was something to do with being more of a direct link to the caliper. (don't quote me).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
SBN Rookie

all bike brakes carries all the different layouts of brake lines i got the 2 line race style i think its the most simple kit to use and install. check it out here is the link i also purchased the HEL brake line kit they seem to bee a little better looking then the rest and are D.O.T approved. All Bike Brakes - Motorcycle Brakes and Brake Lines Custom brake lines

live to ride to the limit!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer

Thanks! The thread is old enough that I may be needed another set of brake lines before too long!

KeS
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

So...what did you put on?

The founding fathers of America were not career politicians. They were the outlaws; the "angry extremists" who refused to quietly submit to an elite political establishment's oppressive rule over their lives.

NEVER forget that.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer

A Hel three-line kit that follows the stock hose routing for the ZX-14. That was more important to me than running double-direct lines. Everytime I get away from a stock configuration I just run into hassles - in this case it would have been that there's not enough clearance at the MC to install a double banjo without slamming the bolt into the tank at full lock.

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in