The importance of proper boots (graphic images) - Page 6 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung

Thanked 1,259 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm an ATGATT guy, so I always have boots on. My feet did very well in the crash. No sneakers for me. Thanks for the pic Mike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B Konigstiger {King Tiger}. Known as the "Royal Tiger" to the Allies.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 AM
SBN Rookie

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

All this would be great, but I'm female and do you know just how impossible it is to find decent boots without having to buy mx boots for commuting? 'Course, I could always buy the Icon Bombshells and look really good when I road rash.
post #78 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Supersport Racer

Cannot stress this enough: WEAR THE BEST MOTORCYCLE BOOTS MONEY CAN BUY!!!!!!

I was wearing SIDI motorcycle boots, and got cut off by a car. Impacted the side of the car at something less than 50 MPH (my speed before braking for said car)

Smashed left ankle, broken tibia. 5 surgeries, last one was total ankle fusion. Without good MC boots, I could have easily lost my foot.

I also had on a Shoei Helmet (mild concussion) Joe Rocket textile suit and Held gloves. Also suffered a grade III AC joint separation in my left shoulder. No roadrash or other injuries of any sort. Suit and gloves survived the accident perfectly and I'm still wearing them to this day.

These are from the hospital immediately after the accident. Had to wear this cage for 8 days until the swelling came down enough to do the initial repair surgery.

My Xray after the repair:

And the fusion I had done 18 months after the accident (not MY Xray, but the exact same procedure and hardware):

Last edited by veefer800canuck; 10-09-2011 at 02:53 AM.

post #79 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 AM
Supersport Racer

And 9 months after the fusion surgery (taken just now, 9/10/11).

Cannot move the ankle at all, never will be able to, ever. Only the forefoot and the toes are movable.

The discoloration at the incisions is permanent, due to them being cut open and re-stapled along the same exact spot multiple times.

And I'm still riding. Been to Oregon and BC since the accident. I can still shift, just had to reposition the shifter up higher, and kinda have to jog my entire leg upwards to shift.

Downshifting is not too bad, but I had to remove my foot from the footpeg entirely, then step down on the top of the shifter.

There is not enough movement in the foot to shift "normally" as I did before the accident, just moving the toes upward and downward. Can't be done.

Last edited by veefer800canuck; 10-09-2011 at 03:10 AM.
post #80 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:51 AM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Holy cow!! Glad you survived and thanks for sharing your story. What Sidis were you wearing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM
post #81 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
Holy cow!! Glad you survived and thanks for sharing your story. What Sidis were you wearing?
Sidi Strada Evo Rains. More of a sport-touring boot, and less protection than a roadrace boot, unfortunately.

I've since picked up a set of Sidi Vertigo Rains. Still trying to break them in. Much stiffer, much more protection.

The Following User Says Thank You to veefer800canuck For This Useful Post:
opaque_machete (10-09-2011)
post #82 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:40 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veefer800canuck View Post
Sidi Strada Evo Rains. More of a sport-touring boot, and less protection than a roadrace boot, unfortunately.

I've since picked up a set of Sidi Vertigo Rains. Still trying to break them in. Much stiffer, much more protection.

Cool, I was wondering if you were in some kind of street/touring boot. I have the Sidi Vertigo Lei (womens race boots) and was hoping that I could expect better protection than that. Although from the sounds of it, your boots still did a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque_machete View Post
All this would be great, but I'm female and do you know just how impossible it is to find decent boots without having to buy mx boots for commuting? 'Course, I could always buy the Icon Bombshells and look really good when I road rash.

Welcome to SBN! Just saw this post, but there are a couple of excellent options for women: The Sidi Vertigo Lei boots I just mentioned, and Alpinestars Stella boots also. Not sure what size you wear, but I've had a couple pairs of mens race boots that fit really well, if all else fails. You don't have to be reduced to motox or Icon hookerwear.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM
post #83 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 PM
World 500 GP Champion

I use a very sport touring type boot, the Axo Primato II, really a bargain boot. Has lasted me a good year so far! Need to reglue some velcrow but that's it for as far as repairs go.

Thanks to Hazardous Racing for helping me get to the track!
post #84 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 AM
SBN Newb

Hey guys, new rider here looking for some advice. I currently wear a pair of Dainese Dynos Dainese Dyno Shoes - RevZilla which I primarily chose because of the hard shell around the ankle. I wanted protection from my foot getting crushed but at the time I didn't really take into account the possibility of it getting twisted too, which it seems these probably don't protect against too much.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if it would be advisable to pick up a pair of full length boots to wear on my longer rides and save the Dynos for short trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in