The importance of proper boots (graphic images) - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadozx View Post
holy shit, 4K? what did u buy?

edit: nevermind, i actually read the rest.

$550 helmet
$375 boots
$300 gloves
$130 back protector
$70 under suit
$50 track gear bag
$1500 one piece suit

My bad, after doing the math, looks like I spent closer to almost $3K than almost $4K.....

The sheep remain inside their pen,
Though many times they've seen the way to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethead View Post
$550 helmet
$375 boots
$300 gloves
$130 back protector
$70 under suit
$50 track gear bag
$1500 one piece suit

My bad, after doing the math, looks like I spent closer to almost $3K than almost $4K.....
One can always say that you either spent way too much or too little. But it doesn't matter because peace of mind is entirely personal. What matters is that you bought the BEST gear that you could afford and that you WEAR it. Although hot and sweaty, I'm certain that all of us feel great and well protected whenever we ride. It is dangerous enough out there and having gear on gives us all one less thing to worry about. And that my friends is priceless
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike villena View Post
What matters is that you bought the BEST gear that you could afford and that you WEAR it.

None of that is top-shelf prices. He actually did fairly well looking at an itemized list.

I have the luxury of blowing money on say ONE item a year, but that is because I have years of close-out hunting saved up already. Three helemts, 4-5 one pieces, 3 jackets, I don't even know how many gloves two sets of boots.

You can pick and choose at that point.

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
~Random Interweb Dude whom I very much want to buy a beer.

post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike villena View Post
+1
BTW, what kind of back protector did you get? I'm currently shopping for one right now.
Dianese BAP back protector...

I like the fact that its longer on the bottom to cover the tail bone- but its a scoosh to long for me as it comes up to my neck- it irks me.

The Alpine star one is pretty good- it has a double wrap thing that allows your abs to flex freely.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM
World 500 GP Racer

I got really good gear for what I paid. I'm VERY happy with my purchase and more importantly I'm very well protected.

post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
You can pick and choose at that point.

Yeah, when I bought all my gear, I had nothing. Nada. Zip....

post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Turbo nerd.

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, when I bought all my gear, I had nothing. Nada. Zip....
Yeah I sort of figured. That was point.

The initial hit blows, but it tapers off afterward.

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much the top flight MotoGP teams spend on gear for their riders? Perhaps the equivalent of some developing country's GNP?
post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Spiffy...

Heh, they probably don't spend a dime. Likely it is given to them, just to have the name plastered on television, which is a good deal for the gear manufacturer also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
...the largest and most knowledgable group of motorcycle assholes on the net!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<---official SBN welcome sign
post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Just the leather suits are at least $2500 depending. The one Lorenzo has been wearing has the airbag system in it..... Not cheap. They are completely custom made for each rider. No off the shelf leathers for those guys.

Custom paint on top of the line helmets.

Top of the line gloves.

Besides having several pairs of everything because they ride 3-4 days straight each week. Stuff gets sweaty and needs cleaning.

I'd imagine they could have as much as $15K wrapped up in gear for the riders.

The question is, are they paying for it or are the manufacturers providing it in exchange for the exposure?

post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Turbo nerd.

Garage
Quote:
The question is, are they paying for it or are the manufacturers providing it in exchange for the exposure?
Its a little of both. That is often the personal sponsors you hear about. Of course if your rider is new and doesn't have any personal sponsors the team picks up the tab, can't have your rider looking like a scrub.

....well unless its AMA, you see guys in other team's leathers ect.

Quote:
post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Its a little of both. That is often the personal sponsors you hear about. Of course if your rider is new and doesn't have any personal sponsors the team picks up the tab, can't have your rider looking like a scrub.

....well unless its AMA, you see guys in other team's leathers ect.

On a more serious note: Another rider that went down at 25mph on a city street. He was wearing his gear. NEWBIES, PLEASE READ THIS Here's the link (from Motorcycle Forum):
Porange was in an accident.. - Motorcycle Forum
EDIT: Since the original post contained relevant photos as attachments which you can't immediately view, I obtained permission from the OP (porange) to cross post it here. The photos were uploaded to my photobucket account and inserted in the correct order amongst the text. Here is the whole post:
As posted by porange on the Motorcycle Forum

QUOTE: So I had just left work on Monday, and I literally did not even make it an entire city block when it happened. On a four lane, one-way street a guy pulled out of a garage, through traffic attempting to illegally cross all four lanes. He "didn't see me" and he ended up pulling directly in front of me and I collided with his rear, driver-side door. All for what? To save 5 seconds on this commute home? This picture might be able to explain better. I'm red, he's blue, and the black arrows are the moving cars that he pulled through.

I attempted to brake, and I definitely locked the rear tire which turned me slightly sideways. This made it so that I didn't hit head on, but rather at an angle, for better or worse. I hit the pavement and my bike and I both went sliding; I wound up on my back. He stopped and got out, shocked I'm sure since this motorcycle magically appeared out of nowhere.

Several bystanders came over and tried to help: told me not to move, not to take my helmet off. I was still taking it all in at the time so I just layed there on my back and tried to breathe deeply. The first thing I noticed was how badly my right leg hurt. I had never broken a bone in my life so I wasn't sure if this is what it felt like, or if it just got smushed.

The local firehouse was only 2 blocks from the accident so EMTs were on the scene in a minute or less, cops were there shortly after. I was carted off to the ER and checked out. Luckily I have no broken bones, but I'm pretty well beaten up. My right ankle is about twice the size of normal. Judging by the way my boot looks now, I think it was caught between bike and pavement for a few yards, and that boot saved my foot from what could've been much worse.

I also noticed some pretty nice gashes on my helmet where my head hit the ground a couple times during the tumble, and the right arm on my jacket looks like I took some steel wool to it. Wear your gear everyone, even if the heat index is above 100 like it was for me that day. I can't imagine how bad things could've been for me. I was only going ~25mph.

I think since I didn't hit the car head on, the damage was redirected from the forks etc into the fairings. The handlebar is obviously bent, there are scratches and cracks and dents all over, and the frame slider is demolished.

END QUOTE

Of particular note was how the car basically came out of the parking garage IN BETWEEN rolling cars. I'm not sure what type of boots he was wearing but if he was wearing tennis shoes, his ankle would have been far worse off.

You never know where it's going to come from. Always be ready and ATGATT.

Last edited by mike villena; 07-21-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Added cross post from Motorcycle Forum
post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM
World Superbike Racer

i decided on full on boots after reading a post about a guy having a car merge into him and bits of the turn signal embedded in his boot that would have been in his leg if not for the boots.
post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
The initial hit blows, but it tapers off afterward.
That is one thing about good gear, the core should last you a reasonably long time. I see guys complain how they can't afford the expensive gear...yet every year they are back with a new cheaper outfit. Over a few years, they've spent more than if they had just bought a really good core outfit to begin with. The Motoport Kevlar gear I wear was expensive...but if it gets dirty, all I have to do is pop the armor out and toss it in the washing machine. After 10 years, I send it back in and they can reline it. The material stretches and it can be altered in case I shrink or grow. In theory, that suit should last me a lifetime. Boots...dry them out if they get wet inside, good ones can have the soles replaced, they should last many years.

Gloves...wear item, though good ones DO last far longer than cheap ones. Having had a serious hand injury before I don' t mind investing $300 on gloves every few years since an injury costs a LOT more in time, pain and money.

Ditto on the helmet every 5 years. Fortunately, good helmets don't necessarily need to cost a lot as helmets like the Scorpion EXO-700 (which I just recommended to a local young rider who needed help with outfiitting) proves. Closeouts are your friend...fortunately young riders are notoriously fickle on helmet designs so chances are the designs will change every year, even though the core helmet stays the same. Every once in a while a new design will come along that really *is* an advancement and may be worth buying at retail. I'm eyeing the new Shark Vision R helmet. Of course, they currently are re-doing their U.S. distribution so they aren't available here at this time. I talked to the Canadian distributor and they won't have any until the end of the year. Bummer.

Safety Tzar. You WILL wear PROPER Gear...and you will LIKE IT!

Last edited by MoldBuster; 07-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
500 GP Racer

I think the guy shattered his leg and im not sure different boots would have had a better outcome.

that guys foot hit the ground way to hard for any boot to save the leg bone below the knee or impacting into his ankle.

gear is a must though and the better gear you use can help sometimes.

You dont need top of the line gear.

I have the cheap gear and I love it.

Teknic 2011 excellerator $500 [thanks bikebandit]
Teknic 2011 chicanes $130
Teknic 2011 short gloves $40
KBC helmet $170

Under a grand for excellent protection.

Thing is the perfed 1 piece isnt hot while riding even in 90f heat. its no fun stopping though.

guess thast why they call it a riding suit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in