The importance of proper boots (graphic images) - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Superbike Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've been trying really hard to save up the money for better protective gear including boots. I've been looking really hard at the Puma 1000s and I think I want to get those, I'm just not sure how practical they would be. Would ya'll say it'd be better for me to look at your standard sport touring boots since most of my riding is commuting, or would you guys say that a highly protective race boot is the best way to go?

Also known as TheDapperWolf
Resident Writer, Cynic, Metalhead, and Dubstep Junkie \m/ -_- \m/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Mediocre Strafer

Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,004 Posts

I have a hard time with exoskeleton "ski boots" like the Pumas. They are so so bulky that they actually push my foot off the peg by rubbing on the side panels/frame. This will vary a lot depending on you/bike/boot fit, but definitely try them before buying.

Usually the ski boots are pretty comfy once you get into them, though.

KeS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_stevens For This Useful Post:
Shaggy817 (07-20-2011)
post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Since I've received my Teknic Violator 1-piece, I have not gotten on a bike without full gear including my Teknic Chicane boots and Teknic Violator gauntlets. Even in 90+ degree weather. It is far easier to wipe off sweat than blood. Even though this thread was meant to point out the importance of proper riding boots, it is always an opportune moment to advocate ATGATT. Speaking of wiping off blood, check this out:
NOTE: Skip to 1:25 to see the skin graft candidate and you newbies can imagine Lawrence Fishburne's voice telling you: "Welcome to the real world" (from "The Matrix")

Mods: We need a "smilie" for the Safety Tzar along the lines of this but with a whip.

EDIT: So, imagine for a moment that you are this poor chump, sitting there trying not to wince from the incredible pain that must be overloading his brain at the moment..... Now ask yourself how much would you pay to not feel that same pain? 100 bucks? 200 bucks? A thousand bucks? Two? It's up to you. Pay the leather manufacturer now or pay the surgeon later.......

Last edited by mike villena; 07-20-2011 at 08:00 AM.

post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethead View Post
Thanks for posting.

All boots are not created equal.

Threads like this are why my wife agreed that I needed to spend almost $4K on riding gear even before I had a bike to ride.

There is absolutely no substitute for high quality motorcycle riding gear.
Wow, you are indeed blessed with a wife such as yours. Tough to convince the life partner that you need to spend an additional 4k on gear on top of what the bike costs. But what almost all newbies fail to realize is that the initial bike cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Correct gear is absolutely essential. The more dangerous or riskier the activity, the more critical the role of proper and correct gear.
post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike villena View Post
Wow, you are indeed blessed with a wife such as yours. Tough to convince the life partner that you need to spend an additional 4k on gear on top of what the bike costs. But what almost all newbies fail to realize is that the initial bike cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Correct gear is absolutely essential. The more dangerous or riskier the activity, the more critical the role of proper and correct gear.
There is no need to dump $4000 bucks on gear. You can leather up head to to plus helmet boots and gloves for $1000 if you catch closeouts and sales.

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
~Random Interweb Dude whom I very much want to buy a beer.
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
There is no need to dump $4000 bucks on gear. You can leather up head to to plus helmet boots and gloves for $1000 if you catch closeouts and sales.
Troof
I have something close to 3 or 4k in gear but I have a one piece a zip together two piece a two piece zip together winter textile... Heated jacket, two sets of boots 3 pair of gloves random leather pants and a textile jacket.... A back protector and another couple of 100 or so dollar odds and ends.

If I were to price out my normal riding stuff.. 90 for the tecknic jacket 100 for the tecknic pants. Hth have full zip and both also have the partial 8" which is cool.
A* super techs for 175.... All of those retail at 300 or more. Boots had maybe 2 hrs of riding on them and the rest was brand new.

So 4k is really kind of excessive. Especially if you are on a budget.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Just to clarify, I was not suggesting spending 4 k on gear. I was commenting on how fortunate jethead was in having a wife that has no problem spending that much in gear. As it is I've spent about 700 bucks for mine not counting the new Teknic Aquavent mesh jacket. And that's with an ok helmet which I am planning to replace very soon.

Bell Apex helmet- 90 bucks (dealer cost & soon to be replaced)
Teknic Violator 1-piece perf - 439.99 (dealer cost)
Teknic Chicane boots- 93.49 (dealer cost)
Teknic Violator gauntlets - 53.99 (dealer cost)
Total cost of essential gear - 677.47 (not including taxes)

Optional gear:
Teknic Chicane textile jacket - 95.00 (dealer cost)
Teknic Aquavent mesh jacket - 70.00 (dealer cost)
Teknic Chicane "shortie" gloves - 30.00 (dealer cost)
UA Heatgear compression long sleeve top - 37.00
UA Heatgear compression shorts (only because they didn't stock tights) - 37.00
Oakley sunglasses - 120.00
Total cost of optional gear - 389.00 (not including tax)

Total cost of all gear to date: 1066.47

Definitely shop for closeouts and sales. Ultimately, spend whatever your budget and your sense tells you to do.
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
World 500 GP Racer

I'm not advocating that you need to spend $4K on gear either.

I just chose a bunch of gear all at once based on reputation and reviews and what more experienced people told me to get.

I imagine if you watch the sales and close out events or even the boards and racing forums you could get good stuff for closer to $1K.

I wanted all new stuff. And I wanted specific brands and models. I had to pay.

Think about the old addage, pay now or pay later, I got the best gear I could afford at the time. Just so you know I did not get the "best" gear available. There are leather suits that cost $4K alone.

The sheep remain inside their pen,
Though many times they've seen the way to leave.

Last edited by jethead; 07-20-2011 at 09:49 AM.
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:

I wanted all new stuff. And I wanted specific brands and models. I had to pay.
I don't give a shit anymore. I've had $550 dollar jackets literally start falling apart in 2 years, but my "shitty" $200 new Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 has been down twice, ridden in for pretty much 5 years straight (Hawaii and NM, LONG riding seasons) and I STILL wear it....I've had it for 8 years now. No problems with seams or zippers....Its rashed and a scarred and all of the pocket have holes in them, but it just keeps going.

Helmets are the only place I spend real money on gear anymore, and that is more of a comfort than safety thing.

Hell I think I'm only about 380 bucks deep into two one pieces, I have more in boots.

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
~Random Interweb Dude whom I very much want to buy a beer.
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

I think it all comes down to personal choices, timely closeouts, etc. and not a pre-set amount to spend. However, I'm sure that we are all in agreement about the importance of proper gear and wearing it. 10 grand or 100 bucks in gear will do nothing for you if it just hangs in the closet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike villena For This Useful Post:
I-Jo (07-20-2011)
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think a but issue is also need/want and how it directly correlates to your specific time line I needed new boots for tracking but there was no pressing time line.... So I could wait for a good deal. My back protector I bad to buy right now... So I got a decent deal and it fis okay.... I will probably take my time and replace it. Same with my 1 piece... I might even go semi or full custom.

Wait for a deal and you will find them... If you insist on having it right away you will pay more than likely

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Jo View Post
I think a but issue is also need/want and how it directly correlates to your specific time line I needed new boots for tracking but there was no pressing time line.... So I could wait for a good deal. My back protector I bad to buy right now... So I got a decent deal and it fis okay.... I will probably take my time and replace it. Same with my 1 piece... I might even go semi or full custom.

Wait for a deal and you will find them... If you insist on having it right away you will pay more than likely
+1
BTW, what kind of back protector did you get? I'm currently shopping for one right now.
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetcarnage View Post
But its all worth it if someone says thanks, right?
It is worth it if one person is saved from a whole HELL of a lot of pain...been there, done that, got Tzarized. There are a lot of guys on the forum who are ATGATT and act as an example to the young riders lucky enough to stumble across this forum. Unfortunately, a perusal of the streets and YouTube will show that the work is never ending...so many squids, so little time.

Safety Tzar. You WILL wear PROPER Gear...and you will LIKE IT!
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike villena View Post

Mods: We need a "smilie" for the Safety Tzar along the lines of this but with a whip.
Yeah...but The Tzar needs to be dressed in full gear!

Safety Tzar. You WILL wear PROPER Gear...and you will LIKE IT!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoldBuster For This Useful Post:
mike villena (07-20-2011)
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Thanks for posting.

All boots are not created equal.

Threads like this are why my wife agreed that I needed to spend almost $4K on riding gear even before I had a bike to ride.

There is absolutely no substitute for high quality motorcycle riding gear.
holy shit, 4K? what did u buy?

edit: nevermind, i actually read the rest.

"Our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but right or wrong, our country!" - Stephen Decatur (1779-1820)
Quote:
Very nice boner!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in