*Looking for a beginner bike? Look no further...* - Page 5 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 202 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Would a worn out 96 Kawasaki ZX-6R qualify, I have the opportunity to pic it up for 300.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 202 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TwStD_1 View Post
Would a worn out 96 Kawasaki ZX-6R qualify, I have the opportunity to pic it up for 300.
Nope. For your first bike, I would get something smaller that as a little bit more mechanically sound. What I would do if I were in your situation, though, would be to buy the bike for cheap and part it out and make some money off of it. With that money then you could go and get a used 500cc bike that you wouldn't have to worry about anything major breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil

We know you're a unique and special snowflake. We know you're the exception to the rule. We know you're not like all those other dumb assed n00bs that wadded themselves up. You're a mold breaker, babe! You're a natural. You were born to tear it up on a hot rod stuntin' superbike.

You're not a moron, you're just misunderstood.
post #63 of 202 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM

This is a great thread and has been pretty informational for myself. I do have a question on getting a new bike though.

First, my riding background...
I've always ridden vintage scooters with "twist grip" shifters and most of them have been either a 150cc or a 250cc scoot. I've never ridden a proper motorcycle. I have around fifteen years of scooter riding under my belt. I also race bicycles and have done so since I was kid and currently race as a category 3 rider on the road. Basically, not pro, not beginner. So I feel I have some experience on two wheels on the road... but still not on a motorcycle.

I live in the Pacific Northwest where the winters can be wet... uh, scratch that... where the winters are wet. I'm looking for a beginner motorcycle that I can use as a daily driver year round. I'd love to have the option to put panniers on the bike as well. I'm pretty sure I would be okay in the 500 - 650cc range with the experience I already have. I like the idea of being more upright as far as seat position is concerned. When I first started looking at bikes I fell in love with the styling of the Ducati Multistrada but of course the engine size is way too big for me and I hear nothing but gripes about maintenance and related costs.

Is there something out there that has that kind of style (Multistrada), in the 600cc range that will accept panniers and be a good safe reliable bike in a wet climate?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

post #64 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:16 AM

Question

Hello,

This is my first post here. I also live near Portland, and an appropriate bike for the rain deffinately effects my considerations as to which bike will be best.

I have always liked the supersport bikes. I have about 10 hours a day, 3 weeks a year, for five years in a row (from age 14 to 19) going camping and riding dirt bikes... that was a long time ago, but does it count as "Riding Experience"?

I'm likin' the SV650 myself.... but mostly because it is reccomended. I like the GSX-r600, but I agree that a true race bike would not be good for a first street bike.

Would anyone be willing to tell me that I am sane and logical to think that a ZZR-600 with it's more relaxed ergo's, along with the fact that I am in my mid 30's and do not have desires to do stunts and stupid kid stuff.... that an I-4 is okay?

I know,... I know... I rode a dirtbike for 10 minutes, so know I am an expert Hayabusa 1300cc Street Rider!!!

Maybe my question is really this: "Is the ZZR 600 have it's engine tuned more mildly than the previous generation ZX-6?" I understand that the ergo's are slightly more upright. I commute for about an hour a day....

Respectfully,

Alex
post #65 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
TMK
Old school fool

Frankly, your experience doesn't add up to bupkis. 70 hours a year for 5 years and none of it on the street. Furthermore, based on what you wrote and the fact your profile says you are 33, all that experience was almost half a lifetime ago.

When a new rider starts out they have two things to learn - how to control the bike and how to be a good defensive rider. Even if you have driven a car for years, there will still be many parts of defensive riding that you will have to learn. While you learn those things, your life will be at risk.

If you pick a powerful bike that is difficult to ride, a great deal of your attention will have to be focused on managing the bike. A difficult bike increases the risk of making a mistake in the way the bike is operated, jerking the throttle or brakes, so you need to pay attention to it or you'll get into trouble quite quickly.

That in itself can be tough enough, but an additional problem is that the more of your attention that operating the bike takes, the longer it will take you to learn the defensive riding skills that can keep you alive. That keeps you in the danger zone longer.

That said, "what is a good starter?" For most guys smaller and easier to use is best for a few years. Most guys who start out on 600s don't have a major accident, but the chance of getting someone killed with off the cuff advice stops most of us from saying sure, go ahead.

Older ZX-6 are nice bikes that do well on the highway. It would do well on your commute and be fairly comfortable doing it. Whether or not one would be right for you depends upon how fast you learn and how comfortable you are risking your life until you get the right skills down pat. I've seen people start on worse bikes, but you start safer by going smaller.

Back from vacation
post #66 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks... I can imagine that you guys get tired of the question. I just had to ask if my dirt bike riding amounted to anything more than fun.

At least I have the controlls of the bike down. I do realize that there is a big difference between knowledge and experience. For example knowing that motorcycles on the road are invisable to most cars doesn't mean much. Having experience of being the invisible man amidst the cagers is another thing entirely.

Remember when you were really young? Now think of everything you thought it would be like to have an orgasism before you had one. Then think of what it was like when you had one. Big difference ehh? It may seem far fetched to some, but riding a motorcycle and getting laid are pretty close to each other in my book
post #67 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

I'd like to add that in my experience, weight has been a big factor. An older ZZR will be a good deal heavier than something like an Sv650, GS500, or 250r. If you can control yourself for a year, try purchasing something a bit cheaper and smaller than the ZZR. It will be much easier and more enjoyable to learn on something like what is in my list, and then once you have been riding for a year or so, then you can safely upgrade to a "real" ss bike (maybe a newer, faster 600cc bike, rather than the ZZR) and feel completely comfortable on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil

We know you're a unique and special snowflake. We know you're the exception to the rule. We know you're not like all those other dumb assed n00bs that wadded themselves up. You're a mold breaker, babe! You're a natural. You were born to tear it up on a hot rod stuntin' superbike.

You're not a moron, you're just misunderstood.
post #68 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Question

Hi, I have a quick question.

I'm looking into getting a sportbike to save some cash (I know, I know. Most people will say thats a stupid assumption) But I already sold my car (16mpg mustang gt) and already took the MSF course. The bike will be my only form of transportation.

But my question is, How much cheaper would it be to own something like say a GS500F vs a SS such as a CBR600 or GSXR? I'm talking taking everything into account besides the actual cost of the bike itself.

And on a different note would it be worth it, to just step up from the GS500F to a GSX650F? The only thing I'm kind of iffy about is the obvious extra cost and the 480 pound dry weight...Also would the 650 cost almost as much to maintain as a 600 ss? Or are most bikes the same? with valve adjustments or whatever and i guess tires would be more for a SS and need replacing more often.

Yes, I know by now I'm not really ready for a 600cc supersport, but I'm just trying to justify it and whatnot.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times...

edit: I'm not interested in a 250 really as I will be doing about 10-15 miles of highway driving to get to work and back
post #69 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 AM

sometime durring the last week, Kawasaki's website put a new link on their site: http://www.kawasaki.com/MPG/. Go there and click around a little. They list each of their bikes along with their claimed MPG rating.

Pay attention to things like displacement, torque and weight of the bike, etc. I was begining to see things like, Single Piston Bikes get better milage than Twin's. I was surprised to see that the ZZR 600 (inline 4 carburated) gets nearly the same milage as a Ninja 500 and a Ninja 650 (both inline twins) -Not surprising was that the ZX-6 (I-4, ....real supersport) doesn't get as good of milage as the ZZR 600 which has an engine of the same size. I guess bikes that go faster burn fuel faster.

I think from what I saw there, if I were to make my decision based ONLY on that balance of enough power for me vs. fuel econemy Then the 650 Single Piston would win.... But dual/sport dirt bike isn't what I am looking for, so I have other considerations.

I hope my thoughts are usefull to you.
post #70 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM
TMK
Old school fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ret3p^ View Post

I'm looking into getting a sportbike to save some cash (I know, I know. Most people will say thats a stupid assumption) But I already sold my car (16mpg mustang gt) and already took the MSF course. The bike will be my only form of transportation.

But my question is, How much cheaper would it be to own something like say a GS500F vs a SS such as a CBR600 or GSXR? I'm talking taking everything into account besides the actual cost of the bike itself.

And on a different note would it be worth it, to just step up from the GS500F to a GSX650F? The only thing I'm kind of iffy about is the obvious extra cost and the 480 pound dry weight...Also would the 650 cost almost as much to maintain as a 600 ss? Or are most bikes the same? with valve adjustments or whatever and i guess tires would be more for a SS and need replacing more often.

Yes, I know by now I'm not really ready for a 600cc supersport, but I'm just trying to justify it and whatnot.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm sure this has been asked a bunch of times...

edit: I'm not interested in a 250 really as I will be doing about 10-15 miles of highway driving to get to work and back

There's a reason most people will say its a stupid assumption, it is. What I would tell you to do is to get a more fuel efficient car and then buy a cheapo bike you can learn on. Once you know what you're doing, and have ridden your bike home on a dark rainy night after 8 hours of hard work, you'll be more informed about what "bike only" riders face. Sometimes riding is great, sometimes it sucks - its always nice to have a choice that will leave you warm and dry.

As for costs, while you are thinking about them, add on the cost of a helmet, good gloves, jacket, maybe pants, maybe boots, rain gear, a waterproof tank bag because those are things you are going to need if you go "bike only."

Back from vacation
post #71 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 AM

First Post Ever

I really have been wanting to get a sport bike. There's just something about the freedom associated with having a cycle, and how breathtaking and striking they can be (This all coming from an Art student), but mostly because my boyfriend has one and i would love to ride with him.

I've been looking around on this thread and there are two that I'm interested in. The Ninja 500r and the Ninja 250.

I'm going to take the MSF course, and I already have all my gear picked out. (Helmet, gloves, jacket, boots, and pants.) I'm leaning toward the 500 but I was wondering if there is any reason I should get the 250 instead. My boyfriend is trying to get me to choose the 250, but I wanted to know what you guys think about it. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks guys.
post #72 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Hay guys I am new to the forum and looking for some answers to my questions.

I have been riding all my life on the dirt. I started riding on the street about four years ago. I rode a Yamaha 360 for about three years, now that is gone I have been riding my fathers Yamaha FZ6, but I am looking to get my own bike. I wonted to see what you guys think of the Triumph Speed Triple, GSXR 750, or the FZ1. So far these are the ones that I have been looking at.
post #73 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM
TMK
Old school fool

To answer both questions - Princess, both are good starter bikes. The 250 will be lighter and more nimble. It'll be easier to handle around town and easier to pick up if you have a fall over. The 500 will have a little more power, but not so much that it will be a real danger to you.

I think the 250 will probably be easier to sell and that you will get a better price for it when you decide to move up in a couple of years. I think your boyfriend is steering you right so listen to him.

NV - I would say it depends upon how many hours of on the road experience a person has rather than the amount of years. Nevada has pretty varied countryside and climates so the length of the riding season really depends upon where you live. It is tough for me to know how long you mean when you say a year.

Generally, I would put you out of the beginner category so I won't warn you off of any of the bikes you are thinking about. There will be an adjustment period when you do change and you will find all of those bikes to be a lot more powerful than the bike you used to have. Even a 600 will be shockingly fast when you compare it to your old bike so you may want to check those out as well.

You might post up in the maker specific forums and ask the owners what they like and dislike about all their bikes.

Back from vacation
post #74 of 202 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ret3p^ View Post

<snip>

I've been commuting to work on a Ninja 250 for two years, rain or shine, and I've gotta say I've never had a problem keeping up on the highway; 0-60 in 5 seconds should get you into and out of traffic just fine. When I bought it, it was (and still is) my only motor vehicle. And if you're serious about saving money, it's hard to beat the savings in gas and insurance.
post #75 of 202 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Hey guys Im a total noob with enough common sense to seek advice (more like a cry for help) in choosing a first motorcycle. Im about 5 10 skinny (hence the name... GENIUS i know) bout 120-125 and am (in a EDIT:MORE THAN few months) going to get a bike. Im basically down to Gt650r vs 2008/09 ex250. Could yall beat some sense into me and beat the squid out of me? I mean ive got no real experience (and i dont mean like ive played motorcycle games) riding, but I like the gt650r because im almost hordish... i hate selling things especially my first... (my first guitar i repainted because i couldnt bring myself to selling it) and I really dont see myself selling my bike untill its long worn out. I had this cockomainy idea to buy the carb slide (yes i actually have researched a tiny bit) out of the limited version and install it in the regular 650r to make it more managable during my noob trials (supposedly limits it to 34hp). and later when im less of a moron i can just remove the slide slap some steel brake lines up, (even later on) a new exhaust and rejet.
But the bike is heavy (420ish lbs is supposed to be heavy, definatly dont know what that feels like LoL).
I dunno, im just used to fast cars (and i totally understand that there is a huge difference in riding and driving) car i learned on is 350z... drove porsche 997 turbo... vette (big block mean machine).... and I KNOW I will get bored after a short short amount of time with the pull on this thing.
Could you guys beat some of your sense into me?
Will I know more of the right motorcycle when I do the MSF course?
Thanks people
edit: Yeah I did somthing smart. Scared myself away from gt650r in a mere 10 min by watching squids get in accidents.
Sweet... ex250 it looks like! (looks yummy)

Last edited by SkinnyMan; 12-02-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in