Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   New Riders (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-riders/)
-   -   *Looking for a beginner bike? Look no further...* (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/new-riders/391524-looking-beginner-bike-look-no-further.html)

kuno 05-28-2008 02:03 AM

Perhaps you should list which bikes are available in the U.S., Canada, etc... and which are not.

TwoColorShoe 05-28-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuno (Post 3574468)
Perhaps you should list which bikes are available in the U.S., Canada, etc... and which are not.

I'm not very well versed in what is and isn't available in Canada, but all of these bikes can be purchased in the US.

Elistan 05-28-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoColorShoe (Post 3574695)
I'm not very well versed in what is and isn't available in Canada, but all of these bikes can be purchased in the US.

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that neither the Aprilia RS50 nor the RS125 are available in the US.

TwoColorShoe 05-28-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elistan (Post 3574728)
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that neither the Aprilia RS50 nor the RS125 are available in the US.

I don't know if they were sold in any dealerships in the states, but there were many imported that you can find used here. (unlike, let's say, the honda cbr125)

CP3 05-28-2008 02:15 PM

what do you think about the GSX650F as a begginer bike?

Kodiak kid 05-28-2008 03:09 PM

As far as older bikes (or newer avail in Canada)...

The suzuki Bandit 600S or the newer 650S. Old tech, so not as powerful, and very forgiving s far as long trips and power. Has plenty of power...but not enough to lift the front tire if you aren't trying. (can even lean back and wind out first w/out fear).

The old:

http://www.subliminalracing.com/bandit1.jpg

The new:

http://www.subliminalracing.com/650s.jpg

Daemonocracy 05-28-2008 03:25 PM

I want a Ninja 250R as my first bike (ever). I want that sportbike feel though so when I move on from the 250, I was wondering if a Ducati Monster would be a logical next step? by that point i could probably get a 696 for a good price but is that too much of a jump? my ultimate goal is to ride the 848, but I hear the Monster has a less "sporty" seating position. besides learning how to ride a bike properly I also want to get used to an aggressive stance while riding.

TwoColorShoe 05-28-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP3 (Post 3575213)
what do you think about the GSX650F as a begginer bike?

It's fairly heavy for a sport bike, and it also produces 85hp, which I think is too much.

Quote:

I want a Ninja 250R as my first bike (ever). I want that sportbike feel though so when I move on from the 250, I was wondering if a Ducati Monster would be a logical next step? by that point i could probably get a 696 for a good price but is that too much of a jump? my ultimate goal is to ride the 848, but I hear the Monster has a less "sporty" seating position. besides learning how to ride a bike properly I also want to get used to an aggressive stance while riding.
After a year or two on a 250r, you should be plenty experienced for a Ducati Monster; even the 696. Hell, most people jump to a 600cc bike, which has ten to twenty more horsepower. A Monster would be a great bike as a second bike after the 250 Ninja.

Oh, and thanks for the info, Kodiak kid. I'll try putting that bike in the list tomorrow some time.

jobiwan 05-31-2008 06:23 AM

Nice thread. man I wish I had enough $ to start on the Ninja 650R I like that bike a lot, in fact I would probably trade my CBR for just about any of those bikes. Mostly because it currently has no gas tank though haha..and it would have to go to someone that could clean the carbs, tune it up and get it running nice again so I don't see it happening. Then again I only rode it for about 2 miles so maybe I should wait to make that kind of decision

DarkRyder 05-31-2008 09:09 AM

i know im new here..but i was wondering... even with the chicken switch on the gsxr600/750 set to "C" mode.. would that still be too much of a starter bike for a displined rider?

Dr. D Gas 05-31-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkRyder (Post 3580525)
i know im new here..but i was wondering... even with the chicken switch on the gsxr600/750 set to "C" mode.. would that still be too much of a starter bike for a displined rider?

can you set the brakes to "c" mode too?
how about the overall geometry?

a bike's noob friendliness is based on more than just the throttle.


short answer to your question, no

MrR2009 05-31-2008 11:20 AM

This thread should be stickied.

TwoColorShoe 06-01-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkRyder (Post 3580525)
i know im new here..but i was wondering... even with the chicken switch on the gsxr600/750 set to "C" mode.. would that still be too much of a starter bike for a displined rider?

Yes, it is still too much of a bike for a beginner. That little switch is as much a marketing tool as it is actually useful. Remember that Suzuki makes more money selling $12k bikes than is does selling $6k bikes.

TwoColorShoe 06-04-2008 10:58 AM

bump

Anyone have any useful info on some of the bikes that need more info? Any suggestions?

Just trying to help out the new riders.

denizined 06-04-2008 12:19 PM

Yep, a tiny adjustment to the hyosung gt250r entry maybe; one main problem I've felt and also heard from a few riders is the weight, a dry weight of almost 400 pounds is hard to justify for a 250cc bike and can be challenging for smaller and lighter beginners especially when the ninjette is 50 - 60 pounds lighter. I'd add that on the disadvantage list and remove the questionable reliability entry because its been proven again and again by riders and mechanics that hyosung bikes are just as reliable as the more known manufacturer. Its true in their first few years of operation early in the decade they had a few lemons and a few pissed off customers but with major improvements coupled with the two year warranty no rider should be afraid of it breaking down on them any more than the next honda or suzuki.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoColorShoe (Post 3587904)
Hyosung hasn't been in-state for long, so questionable reliability.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 1997 - 2007 Sportbikes.net INC. All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome