A few noobie questions about GEAR. - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
TMK
Old school fool

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just so y'all know - this is going to become a sticky. Get your (serious) posts in on the subject before it gets moved and locked.

Back from vacation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I just want to reiterate the importance of riding boots:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti750
There is a difference between over-the-ankle boots, and riding boots. Motorcycle specific riding boots not only provide protection for your feet, and provide stability against twisting/breaking your ankle, but are also designed for efficiency in operating your bike's controls. Sidi. Sidi. Sidi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeony2k
I once read that one of the highest points of injury in a motorcycle accident were injured ankles. Good riding boots provide significant ankle/shin protection and then again some are no better than $20 boots from Wal-mart. Non slip soles are also important. Again I fall back that no one plans when and how they are going to wreck.

Boots seem to be the last thing some riders think about. Even among people who seem to know the importance of gear, boots apparently haven't crossed their minds. I see many riders with full face helmets, gloves, leather jacket... and sneakers.

Even over the ankle work boots aren't good enough in my opinion. You need boots that have sufficient armor to protect your feet, ankles and lower legs from injury. You don't even have to be moving to injure yourself.

I wear Alpinestar SMX boots for track days and street riding: commuting, road trips, Sunday rides, you name it. If I'm on my bike these boots are on my feet.

Last July, while just sitting on the side of the road waiting for some people to catch up, I turned to say something to the person behind me, tried to use my right foot to hold the bike up, but the ground sloped away on that side and I didn't have any ground to put my foot on!

By the time I realized it, the bike had gone past it's balance point.. I tried for a few seconds to hold it up, but it was too far gone and I had to let it down easy onto the shoulder of the road (fortunately grass).

However, as it was going down to the right, the left footpeg (as it came up) grazed the inner part of my left lower leg well above my ankle. I was wearing my A*boots as usual, and my denier riding pants, but even through those two forms of protection I still ended up with a serious bruise and huge lump on my leg that was very painful. It happened the end of July, and the lump is still there right now.

If I had been wearing jeans, they would have been ripped. If I had been wearing shoes, or even just work boots, my leg would have been laid open.

So, it doesn't really matter what kind of riding you are doing, or how much experience you do or don't have. You still need to protect yourself, b/c sh!t happens where you least expect it as well as where you might expect it, and human flesh can't stand up to metal, concrete and asphalt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM

Last edited by acalliste; 09-11-2007 at 07:44 PM.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Back Marker

starting small is the best thing you can do next to riding with the right gear.
i too have opted to start on an ex500. while all my friends are telling me to get nothing smaller than a750..
next to starting small to learn and develop youre skills is to have good gear.
it all my be expensive but you only get one body and how you choose to protect it is up to you... you gotta pay to play!
for my helmet i tryed on all the diffrent brands the store had. and i chose the shoei rf1000. its a bit expensive but in my oppion its worth it. its dot and snell approved. (you only have one head)
while i was there i tryed on the jackets, boots and gloves. so i could find out what size i am. i too am a little overweight, i found that i fit comfortably in a xl jacket.
my advice is to go to the store try evrything on you want and need. and then go to ebay and you local graigslist listings and look for the brands of you choosing. i found my joe rocket jacket for under a 100bucks and it loocks brand new! i did the same for the boots. i found some alpine star boots that retail for over 200 bucks and got them for a $100 and they look and feal new.
take youre time and look around. and make the best choice on whats best for you and how you ride. and dont let youre friends peir pressure you into a potentally bad descion..
ride youre ride!

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste
I just want to reiterate
If I had been wearing jeans, they would have been ripped. If I had been wearing shoes, or even just work boots, my leg would have been laid open.

So, it doesn't really matter what kind of riding you are doing, or how much experience you do or don't have. You still need to protect yourself, b/c sh!t happens where you least expect it as well as where you might expect it, and human flesh can't stand up to metal, concrete and asphalt.

i fully agree with that statement..
i was at work and the day was almost over. so i wanted to was teh bugs off my bike before the ride home. i was going to rode to the car was at my dealership witch was about 500 feet from my work stall. i got on the bike and was ready to go. a co-worker asked me to rev it up for him. i started the bike. i always start it in nutural. i grabbed the clutch and brake levers and i dont remember putting it into gear. so i reved it up for the guy. thinking it was in nutural i let go of the levers.
all i heard was a loud pop! and saw the handle bars heading right for my face. everybody who saw said, the front wheel went straight up without moving forward. i held on for a while until i heard the tail light dragginh then i let go. i was only going about 5mph when i let go. i landed with my left leg folded all the way under my butt. slam my other cheek on the ground and braced the rest of my body with my right hand. my work shoes barly covered my ankles. which i had to replaced cause that 5mph fall tore a hole threw the parts that covered the ankle. my knee swelled up to almost the same size as my thigh, pulled groin muscles, sore cheecks and i pick asphalt out of my hand all weekend.
all though it wasnt a high speed fall, i was banged up. and it still hurts to walk on my left leg.
i consider myself extremly lucky! all though gear cant help with soar muscles
i very quicklly realized the importance of gear!
i will never attempt to ride again without full gear!
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Searching for the tower.

Quote:
Even over the ankle work boots aren't good enough in my opinion. You need boots that have sufficient armor to protect your feet, ankles and lower legs from injury. You don't even have to be moving to injure yourself.
This is so true, and so many people feel that any over the ankle boot is acceptable.

I honestly have to partly blame the MSF course...they require only 'over the ankle' boots and I think some people mistake that requirement for the class...as being an acceptable standard for street use. Of course they are overlooking that at the MSF, you stay at low speeds and usually in second gear.

I stick to this basic rule: Expect to lose, damage, or maim any part of your body that is not covered in gear designed to protect motorcyclists.

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I understand that a certain very well known researcher stated at an International MC Safety Conference that in a crash, even a cardboard box on your head is better than nothing at all!

AE: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"ER: The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
TMK
Old school fool

^^^ This statement does not endorse the use of cardboard boxes as head protection.

Back from vacation
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
It wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.STYLE PIZZA
I think I may be re-considering jeans.............
If you like to ride in jeans, buy some kevlar re-enforced jeans. Kevlar on the butt, part of the hips, and knees. Draggin' jeans are the best that I know of, but they are pretty thick and heavy. There are some other that are closer to regular jeans, but offer decent protection.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:31 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblack
If you like to ride in jeans, buy some kevlar re-enforced jeans. Kevlar on the butt, part of the hips, and knees. Draggin' jeans are the best that I know of, but they are pretty thick and heavy. There are some other that are closer to regular jeans, but offer decent protection.
There are perhaps 7, 8 or more different companies with offerings now, Draggin jeans, Cortech, A*, Icon, Rocket etc etc

AE: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"ER: The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Searching for the tower.

At $100 a pair....those draggin jeans are not much more than a new pair of brand name jeans ($40-$80) and they offer a WHOLE lot more protection.

Personally, I want knee pads...so I am looking for textile pants, or perforated leather pants with pucks...but the draggin jeans would be a good solution for someone who didn't want to mess with real riding pants.

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Fool of the universe

I am just going to get one thing in before it becomes a sticky.

In my last job I rode to work. I would show up in my Oxtar boots (which would SQUEEK loudly when I walked), some FirstGear riding pants that have leather protection on knees and hips. Leather jacket (depending on temp either my perf or not) which has armor on shoulder and elbows. Back protector (T-Pro level 2 certified [Joe Rocket Speedmaster] ), Gloves, full face helmet. Before i had my Oxtars I wore shin and knee armor as well under my pants.

Now with all that, I would park, and I would stand out on a busy street corner, I would stand out at times with my fellow riders who parked with me at a certain corner in Downtown Rosslyn VA (I am not at this job anymore, but anyone who knows this area knows what I am talking about ).

I would get remarks from other riders, many cruisers were around also. But i would also get LOTS of people asking me HEY what is that where can I get it. Then there would be the everyday people like at my work, or people who I passed on the street.

HEY where's the race! one guy said.
you hot with that stuff on! one other guy said on a code red day (98+ with serious humidity).

I would always talk to them and explain to them real "simple" terms why I have the stuff on. Then suddenly they were like oh... I see ... WOW I guess that's important.

I went out for lunch on an errand, sat down, people came up to me and talk to me about my stuff.. and it dawns on me... when you go out on a bike and dress appropriately.. you are SETTING an example not just for other riders, but for the hugely uneducated non motorcycle public.

YOU are the first line of attack in promoting SAFE- RESPONSIBLE riding to the public. When I had a mother come up to me and said wow my son wants to get into riding he's 16 I didn't know he should have all this stuff on, I am going to tell him now.

When I have a new rider park near me on an R6 and he saw my backprotector and boots, noticing that he had only sneakers on and a jacket, he said is that stuff uncomfortable I was like no it even helps me shift and keep my legs in line. He got the thought in his head wow I can use this stuff.

Wear your stuff, not just cause you're suppose to, but so you can EDUCATE people on what it means to ride responsibly. Make that cager who saw you suddenly THINK TWICE about what those "sport-crotch rider rocket" riders are doing. Let those people on the street corner watching you stand there in 95+ in full leathers CONTEMPLATE what your safety and motorcycle riding MEANS.

so what example do you want to set????

2006 Ninja 500r - SOLD - 2005 Honda CBR F4i - 9000+ miles and counting
"You can't carry a gun with you while you are riding your motorcycle... because you can't carry enough ammo to be satisfied." - Anonymous

GO

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smakawhat For This Useful Post:
Coldhell (06-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in