Want a 600? Read This! - Page 9 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
You're a Daisy if ya do

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
If ya gotta crash, that's a good reason.
Nah, I didn't even get any sympathy sex from her.
As a matter of fact, I think she thought it was kind of funny. I imagine that "DORK" was pretty much what she was thinking

Kebbleesta.
i just put my pipe on. now I'm exhausted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Ride.

The piece of "advice" that always bothered the crap out of me, has been mentioned several times in this thread, and millions of times on this board and other sportbike forums. It seems to usually be mentioned by new riders, like its an attempt to excuse themselves, and other noobs, for getting a bike that's out of their realm of control. That piece of "advice" is this:

"respect the bike and know your limits."
"the rider controls the throttle and makes it go fast, not the bike"

Hmm. Its one thing to respect the bike, but as a rider, you still need to input the motions into the bike in order to make it do anything. And how is a noob to know what level of "respect" certain bikes require? The bike is incapable of returning that respect. On top of that, once you learn to respect the throttle, the brakes will kick your ass, or the steering. The abilities of high performance sportbikes are just too far out of grasp of new riders.

Limits? How is a noob to know their limits? They're new!
And even if they eventually learned THEIR limits, the limits of a high performance sportbike is still way out of their control.

That leads me to the next statement, that the rider - not the bike, operates the throttle. First off, there's a lot more to riding than just operating the throttle. But when it comes to the rider controlling the throttle, that's the problem. A new rider HAS NO CONTROL of the throttle. At least not advanced control to keep the bike in their "comfort zone" or "within their limits". Its one thing to tell yourself that you're gonna respect the throttle and stay within your limits, and its another thing to be able to do it. Your "will power" to keep the bike within your control is not gonna make it happen. Its an acquired skill. The whole philosophy goes straight out the window anyway since its hard to ride these bikes slow, and easy to make them go fast (in a straight line). Trying to make these bikes go slow can put you on your ass just as easily as letting them go too fast.

Start with the right bike people! There's so many reasons why. And your future as a rider is depending on it.

Clinton - Performance Riding Enthusiast
Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike. That's unfair, because everyone doesn't earn the same treatment.

Am I supposed to list my mods here?
...No, I won't - that's dumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ride.; 05-31-2007 at 09:52 AM.
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

That's what we've been screaming for a long time now. Thanks for joining the team.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM

post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Sexual Chocolate

Ok, I just got a phone call from my friend........it was about one of my good friends. He recently went down on his 1000, he started big on an R1 raven and wore all his gear. Said it was a trial by fire and etc.......usual bravado. He wore all his gear 24/7 only the best of the best gear.

He was thrown of his bike (i dont know how or the details) but he landed in the woods, broke both legs and was laying there for 13hrs before someone found him and called for help. I know I'm on here counter arguing occasionally, about starting on a 600, but this really really hits home. Even though this happened on a 1000, it can still easily happen on a 600 with a new rider. After hearing about this I'm in complete agreement that no matter how much you say you are in control, maturity and "natural talent" you aren't ready for a 600 as your first bike. Until your reflexes naturally choose the right course of action due to training NEVER get an 600 or more as your first.

No courage without fear.
Amor est vitae essentia

Quote:
The most dangerous thing about 600s is the most dangerous thing about any bike -- confidence often precedes ability. It takes about ten times longer to be a good rider than it takes to feel like one.
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 PM
TMK
Old school fool

Welcome to the "Start Small" club.

Back from vacation
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Resident Wise Guy

The "I'm Special" and "The rules don't apply to me because I'm special" are still my favorite arguments.

Anyone have access to a wood shop? I want a cricket bat with the words, "How Does It Feel to be SPECIAL?" burned into the side.

2008 Harley Davidson Nightster (soon to be traded in)
1999 Yamaha YZF-R1 (totalled by its new owner R.I.P)
1989 Honda VFR400R Rothman's Racing Edition (retired)

"Life is short, live hard!"
post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM
Back Marker

After always thinking about my decision...Being a "600 as first street bike, rider" I will say do not do it! it to me does not have anything to do with throttle, power, or speed as much. It is handling, just wait for that day when you are just going like 45mph and you come up on the narrow turn and realize half way through it your way to wide, and its to late to brake, then a car is coming from the other direction, and you are not good enough of a rider to counter out of either "problem" but you make it out somehow, and you say i wont let that happen again.....then it happens again the next week... thats how it will go if you do not know what you are doing, and eventually you drop it.... Sorry if this makes no sense, I am tired.

2003 CBR 600 RR
- Yoshi RS-5 Slip-on
- Sliders, Fender Eliminator

USCG Active Duty
post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 08:33 PM
TMK
Old school fool

I think this is worth keeping up on top for a while. Like all stickies, the thread is now closed.

Back from vacation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in