Want a 600? Read This! - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

^^^

the only thing that i heard was inflated was top speed. i was on the ninja 250 website and it said 1/4 mile at 88mph 14 seconds flat.

sorry the very last post i was aiming for, didnt know that it would be on page 2!

Last edited by 07cbr600; 05-21-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
center of an asian pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairhashmi
I agree.600cc sportbikes arent not good as first time bikes which is why i bought my CURRENT bike one week after taking the msf and getting my motorcycle license.5k miles and more than one year later im here and happy.I wouldnt have it any other way.
Even if you take a ninja 250 and ram it into something at 60mph the results wont be pretty in my opinion.But teens in general will do things to impress others and i can easily see a young kid getting himself into trouble trying to impress the girls or his male buddies.
you've only ridden 5000 miles in a year? no offense, but now you're entering the frame of time where most of us go down, make it past 36 months, ride more miles, and keep us posted.

To the OP... AWESOME post... the only think i have to add is that it's not always about the miles. I rode my 600rr 12,000 miles in 7 months (yes, and went to school full time and worked full time, and no, they aren't all freeway miles). I'm not saying i'm a good rider by any means, but someone's riding skills should be judged by both length of time and miles spent on the bike. But great post nonetheless!

Women Riders Moderator[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn
First off you're Hawt, then there's that bad ass pic of you with the gun in your AV. And you've got a Bad ass bike too! So I'm happy to announce that:
BADLEESTA is born!!!
Thanks and RIP Jasonn... You're missed!
post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 PM
how bout dem deadskins

i put it like this, when i started going to the gym, i saw erryone working out w/crazy amount of weights, after stacking some myself i realized it was too much and almost chocked myself to death....just my .02$ you got to start somewhere

virgins aren't always better........
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwakuniDiver
"250/500's are just not powerful enough" or "I'll get bored with it in a year"
A Ninja 250 with a 170lbs rider and full tank of gas will run a 14 flat 1/4 mile and has a sub-6 0-60 and a top speed of 120mph. 500's are even faster. If you you are buying a motorcycle with the sole interest of going faster than that, you shouldn't be on a motorcycle at all. Also, ask any EXPERIENCED rider, (read; years experience) how long it took them to be considered a "Good" rider. The answer is more than a year nearly every time. That first year is crucial to developing your skills, not seeing how hard you can ride.
I've been reading a few threads in this newbie forum as I've been interested in bikes alot lately. I've considered selling one of my cars for one (own both a 00' Honda Civic and 00' Chevy S10), however, the info I've been reading here is very discouraging. I couldn't come to sell my car for a bike that my Civic would literally blow the wheels off of, but I'm not out there to get myself killed either. I consider myself a responsible defensive driver as I haven't been in an accident since I was 15. Why is it so hard for one to learn on a used 600rr, a bike I would actually want to own? A friend in the cube across from me at work went from dirt bikes to an '02 Yamaha R1 and he hasn't dropped it yet.

Last edited by RyanEJ8; 05-22-2007 at 09:52 PM.
post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Resident Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanEJ8
I've been reading a few threads in this newbie forum as I've been interested in bikes alot lately. I've considered selling one of my cars for one (own both a 00' Honda Civic and 00' Chevy S10), however, the info I've been reading here is very discouraging. I couldn't come to sell my car for a bike that my Civic would literally blow the wheels off of, but I'm not out there to get myself killed either. I consider myself a responsible defensive driver as I haven't been in an accident since I was 15. Why is it so hard for one to learn on a used 600rr, a bike I would actually want to own? A friend in the cube across from me at work went from dirt bikes to an '02 Yamaha R1 and he hasn't dropped it yet.
There's more to riding than doing a quick quarter mile bud. And by the way... how much cheddar did you dump into that POS before it became a 13 second car? Forget it, I don't want to know. Really I don't.

You can consider yourself a "responsible" and "defensive" driver all you want but I call . You didn't dump a couple grand into a Honda to drive defensively. I started drag racing when you were in kindergarten and I know the type especially since I AM the type. Why don't you just stop lying to yourself and everyone here and just be a man and say it, "I want a 600 SS because it hauls ass!".

The reason WHY I say you should just come clean is because as soon as you come to grips with the fact you want to go fast, and (maybe) look cool while doing it, you will realize that you don't need validation on advice from anyone here since you're going to do what you want anyway. That way, everyone's happy.

But, if you TRULY want to be a better rider. You should follow the logical, "responsible" method of developing your skills on a smaller bike.

2008 Harley Davidson Nightster (soon to be traded in)
1999 Yamaha YZF-R1 (totalled by its new owner R.I.P)
1989 Honda VFR400R Rothman's Racing Edition (retired)

"Life is short, live hard!"
post #21 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 AM
It's good to B-King

Quote:
Hasn't dropped it yet. I'm sure he is a great rider, too. Did you bother to read the rest of the sticky?

A learning bike is to *learn* on. Why do you think a racebike with signals is an appropriate platform? Would you learn how to drive in a pro-street drag car?

What is discouraging is that people who come for advice and have no experience refuse to listen to those of us who have done 10s and 100s of thousands of miles. Why even post this nonsense? Your questions are answered in the stickies, so you really have no logical basis on which to argue.

If you want to cruise from place to place and pose with your 'mad skillz', do whatever you want. If you want to actually learn how to ride a motorcycle safely, quickly, to the best of your ability, then you will start with a smaller bike. It's as simple as that.

Whatever you do, please don't give the rest of us a bad name - your actions reflect and affect the community as a whole.
post #22 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Superbike Champion

"I've been reading a few threads in this newbie forum as I've been interested in bikes alot lately. I've considered selling one of my cars for one (own both a 00' Honda Civic and 00' Chevy S10), however, the info I've been reading here is very discouraging. I couldn't come to sell my car for a bike that my Civic would literally blow the wheels off of, but I'm not out there to get myself killed either. I consider myself a responsible defensive driver as I haven't been in an accident since I was 15. Why is it so hard for one to learn on a used 600rr, a bike I would actually want to own? A friend in the cube across from me at work went from dirt bikes to an '02 Yamaha R1 and he hasn't dropped it yet."

you can get a used 650r for around $4k...nice bike to start on and you can mod it out without having to mortgage the house.

" I was thinking of the mortal words of Socrates who said, 'I drank what?'"

Last edited by 650r; 05-23-2007 at 09:01 AM.
post #23 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
SBN Rookie

Quote:
There's more to riding than doing a quick quarter mile bud. And by the way... how much cheddar did you dump into that POS before it became a 13 second car? Forget it, I don't want to know. Really I don't.

12 second car actually that has the potential to go 11's if I upped to the boost to what it's actually capable of. The turbo kit I pieced together myself for approx $3k.

Quote:
You can consider yourself a "responsible" and "defensive" driver all you want but I call . You didn't dump a couple grand into a Honda to drive defensively. I started drag racing when you were in kindergarten and I know the type especially since I AM the type. Why don't you just stop lying to yourself and everyone here and just be a man and say it, "I want a 600 SS because it hauls ass!".

The reason WHY I say you should just come clean is because as soon as you come to grips with the fact you want to go fast, and (maybe) look cool while doing it, you will realize that you don't need validation on advice from anyone here since you're going to do what you want anyway. That way, everyone's happy.

But, if you TRULY want to be a better rider. You should follow the logical, "responsible" method of developing your skills on a smaller bike.
I am a safe driver actually. I work for an insurance company and haven't had a ticket in over 5 years. I have never once raced the Honda since I turboed it anywhere BUT the track. Also when did I ever say I didn't want a fast bike? That doesn't mean I'm going to go jump on it the first day and do 150mph down the interstate and drag my knee through every corner. I want something that has the power there when I want it though. I'm that kind of guy that might be cruising across the bridge and decide to open it up from 60-90mph or so and want to be able to do it faster than my Grandma can in her Cadillac (not gonna happen on a 250). Trust me though, I'm not the type you're thinking. I wouldn't need to fly through corners as fast as every other douche out there on an SS, it doesn't add inches to my penis like some might believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley01
Hasn't dropped it yet. I'm sure he is a great rider, too. Did you bother to read the rest of the sticky?

A learning bike is to *learn* on. Why do you think a racebike with signals is an appropriate platform? Would you learn how to drive in a pro-street drag car?

What is discouraging is that people who come for advice and have no experience refuse to listen to those of us who have done 10s and 100s of thousands of miles. Why even post this nonsense? Your questions are answered in the stickies, so you really have no logical basis on which to argue.

If you want to cruise from place to place and pose with your 'mad skillz', do whatever you want. If you want to actually learn how to ride a motorcycle safely, quickly, to the best of your ability, then you will start with a smaller bike. It's as simple as that.

Whatever you do, please don't give the rest of us a bad name - your actions reflect and affect the community as a whole.
No, he's probably not a great rider, but maybe in a year or so he will be. Funny thing is I did learn how to drive a car in an 11 second car. Why wouldn't taking the appropriate class and then riding a 600rr like a normal person rather then a racebike driver be a proper way to learn how to ride a motorcycle safely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650r

you can get a used 650r for around $4k...nice bike to start on and you can mod it out without having to mortgage the house.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a pretty big Honda enthusiast so I'd likely only go for a Honda.
post #24 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
It's good to B-King

Quote:
I am a safe driver actually. I work for an insurance company and haven't had a ticket in over 5 years. I have never once raced the Honda since I turboed it anywhere BUT the track. Also when did I ever say I didn't want a fast bike? That doesn't mean I'm going to go jump on it the first day and do 150mph down the interstate and drag my knee through every corner. I want something that has the power there when I want it though.
The power is ALSO there when you DON'T want it and when you don't need it - like when you are LEARNING to ride the bike. The bike doesn't say 'oh, he doesn't want all the power, so I'll just ignore the 1/2 throttle input he accidentally gave me because he hit a bump and wasn't paying attention.'

We've heard it all before. We've also seen precisely the opposite. If you work for an insurance company, then you know the statistics or have access to them. Go look them up.

Quote:
No, he's probably not a great rider, but maybe in a year or so he will be. Funny thing is I did learn how to drive a car in an 11 second car. Why wouldn't taking the appropriate class and then riding a 600rr like a normal person rather then a racebike driver be a proper way to learn how to ride a motorcycle safely?
You mean riding a 600rr down to the local McDonald's to hang out with your bud? That's how the 'average' person who owns one of these bikes rides it.

If all you want to do is cruise, why waste your money? Go for the 1000RR instead. You'll be bored of the 600 by next year anyway.

If you want to actually learn how to ride the motorcycle, as opposed to just sitting on it and looking cool, you'll start with a smaller, more manageable bike. What about a motorcycle that makes 115 HP, weighs 385 lbs, runs mid 10s BONE STOCK, can top out at 160mph, and has plastics that are VERY expensive to replace when damaged screams 'beginner bike' to you? edit: I forgot to mention that they also like to fall over at low speeds, are prone to headshake and tank slappers, will endo in a second, and will wheelie ON ACCIDENT.

Your buddy will have wasted 3 years becoming maybe a 'good rider', all the while paying for more bike and more insurance than he can use. That's definitely smart.

I can guarantee you after two years on a 500 he would be a fat better rider than he is now, provided he does more than ride to the local McDonald's to hang out or cruise the freeways all day.

It is apparent you already know all the answers and you're looking for confirmation, not advice. Our own experience learning, then seeing one newbie after another crash a a bike that was too much for a beginner counts for nothing. The statistics mean nothing.

You are special and the exception.

Last edited by lemosley01; 05-23-2007 at 02:28 PM.
post #25 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Resident Wise Guy

1.6 60 ft and in a Civic with a $3k turbo kit and no slicks?

And if you want to dispute this. Do it in the Open Forum. I don't want my thread turning into a Honda-Lovers' thread.

Last edited by IwakuniDiver; 05-23-2007 at 06:00 PM.
post #26 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
I want something that has the power there when I want it though. I'm that kind of guy that might be cruising across the bridge and decide to open it up from 60-90mph or so and want to be able to do it faster than my Grandma can in her Cadillac (not gonna happen on a 250).
So which one of your 600ss riding friends told you that? Or was it the guy with the R1? It's apparent you've never twisted the throttle on a 250. The acceleration my Hyosung 250 has in the upper rpm range amazes me.

Quote:
The power is ALSO there when you DON'T want it and when you don't need it - like when you are LEARNING to ride the bike. The bike doesn't say 'oh, he doesn't want all the power, so I'll just ignore the 1/2 throttle input he accidentally gave me because he hit a bump and wasn't paying attention.'
Exactly why I'm glad I got my 250. It has been very forgiving of the newbie mistakes I've made. You WILL mke mistakes even after the "apropriate safety
course" (which I took and passed), so it makes sense to start with a bike with a much greater margin of error.

The point is, your image is more important than the performance of the bike. You can't ride a 250 to anywhere near it's potential (neither can I).

-Joe-
post #27 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:14 PM
SBN Rookie

Quote:

And if you want to dispute this. Do it in the Open Forum. I don't want my thread turning into a Honda-Lovers' thread.

I never said I was on street tires. I said I race at the track only. You assumed right away the type of driver I am and now you talk about my time being bogus because I don't run slicks when in fact I do. I don't want to start a fight, I really want to learn something. It just seems to me like you assume everyones situation is the same though. I don't want to be a professional race bike rider, I want to be a recreational rider that can safely ride a bike. I don't have to be the best or the fastest, but I also don't see why that would require me to ride a bike that only has enough power to run a 14 flat. BTW, those are 22x8x13 MH slicks on an open differential so it is a relatively impressive 60' time for FWD, but I just know how to drive.

Last edited by RyanEJ8; 05-23-2007 at 08:18 PM.
post #28 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Garage Orniment Owner

Quote:

Uhh, I believe that you just "got served"

Ryan EJ8, I can understand your reservations about having a bad ass lil rice rocket(no offense I love and drive a hook up import as well) and then going out and buying a piece of shit ugly bike to learn on. The purchase is yours alone just know that there are other bike out that are less than a SS 600 and more than a POS nutless 250. I think the dude above who mentioned the Ninja 650r made made a good post. Look at it and the SV, do your homework and don't let a "keyboard warrior" make your decision.

I couldn't imagine having a beater bike parked next to your hooked up Civic...you gotta have standards!

USAF Active Duty
post #29 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Wise Guy

Served my ass.

The only thing that Civic-boy doesn't do well is listen. While I do applaud you on your time slip and getting a FWD to run times like that, I was VERY specific about not turning my topic into a Civic thread.

Your times are undoubtedly impressive and its not unreasonable for me to call BS on a timeslip when he never mentioned anything about his car other than a $3k turbo kit. Don't sit there and tell me that people don't "inflate" the numbers on their cars all the time ESPECIALLY on the internet.

And I didn't have to "assume" what kind of driver you are. You point blank said that you will occasionally run it up to 90mph and didn't want a bike slower than your hot rod. Its not unreasonable to conclude that you enjoy going fast whether on the street or not.

Oh yeah, and BTW, I'm not sure if you were aware of this since you're new around here, but I LIVE in Japan. I drift (on the track), and recently gave up street racing out here after becoming a dad. The fact that you can "drive" (which I'm sure you can), while commendable, means jack shit on a bike.

Oh, since we're in a pic sharing mode. You win today's prize if you can tell me what kind of car I'm driving in the first pic. If you can guess what my car (gray one on the left) is, you don't know your imports at all.

post #30 of 128 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 AM
It's good to B-King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmanugary
Uhh, I believe that you just "got served"

Ryan EJ8, I can understand your reservations about having a bad ass lil rice rocket(no offense I love and drive a hook up import as well) and then going out and buying a piece of shit ugly bike to learn on. The purchase is yours alone just know that there are other bike out that are less than a SS 600 and more than a POS nutless 250. I think the dude above who mentioned the Ninja 650r made made a good post. Look at it and the SV, do your homework and don't let a "keyboard warrior" make your decision.

I couldn't imagine having a beater bike parked next to your hooked up Civic...you gotta have standards!
Once again, 'advice' from a guy who has logged 25 total hours. Good job.

Ryan, the simple fact is that the statistics say you are not an exception. But since you believe that you are, do what you want. Just don't make the rest of us look bad. You don't want to learn, you want to pose and you want confirmation of your choice. Like I said, if that's all you want to do, go for the 1000 - you'll be bored with the 600 in a year.

Once again, another argument for a tiered licensing system.

Last edited by lemosley01; 05-24-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in