Things you should think about in talking to a new rider, for the experienced folks - Page 6 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 AM
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Jo View Post
wow thread revival-

but yes- typically when you first start riding the most dangerous time is after the new experience thrill goes away and you get overconfident with your riding- so I'd say two to three months in- but that's just based off what I have witnessed- I didn't read the graph either LOL

I remember I asked a while ago- if we measured experience in miles- then at what mileage point do are you no longer a completely hazard to your self- I'd say when you have put on something like 3-5K you are climbing out of the over confident stage into the - actually riding phase. but that's my generic uneducated opinion
The only reason I mentioned this, is because it was stated by the OP (and many other places on the forum) that the most dangerous time was the second and third year. I'm not saying I dispute this "fact" but the way I read the graph it supports a different conclusion. That in fact that people crash at 3 times the rate in the first year as they do in the second and third. Of course this says nothing for the severity of the crash.

I just thought it was interesting that someone posted a graph (which I hardly ever see anyone do around here, actually post facts to back themselves up) that supports a different conclusion than the one being talking about in the thread, but no one noticed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:08 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

well since there are SO many variables its difficult to give scientific evidence. And around here the numbers are going to be skewed- we take a lot of pride in the fact we aren't weekend warriors- and that most of us ride our sport bikes like they were ment- or at least try too

In which case- most of us will crash further into the riding career- starting to hit twisties more often- harder and faster- so getting that confidence up and pushing a bit more.

Weekend warrior types are likely to be on the street- get going to fast and fuck something up- that happens a lot as a newb.

Different type of riding- yields different types of crashes- and its just really hard to quantify that.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 AM
SBN Newb

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I just want to say that this is probably the best community on the internet. The advice is often sober and respectful, but stern. I pored through this forum for the first time in 2008 when I wanted to start riding, and then again in 2012, but both times I had to put off riding because of money and life issues. I finally picked up my first bike, a 2006 Honda Shadow VLX 600 and find myself back on these forums.

A friend of mine helped me by riding the bike home for me, and gave me plenty of advice. From reading this forum I could tell which advice was good and which was not:

He wanted to give me an old helmet of his, but I decided to pick up my own because who knows what abuse his old helmet went through, I learned that from this site.

He recommended I get a half or 3/4 helmet since I was picking up a cruiser, but this site had me settled on a full face helmet.

He rode my bike back in jeans, something I will never do thanks to this site.

He thought I should ride the bike for half the ride home to get a feel for it, but from reading this site I felt it was best to first practice in a parking lot instead of the road.

I made sure I had enough money for gear/leathers after buying the bike too.

There are so many helpful people here, you guys should be required reading for all new riders.

I decided with a cruiser over a 2012 Honda CBR250R because the seating position was more comfortable and the price was very right. In the near future I will pick up a sport bike and would love to take it to the track, but a cruiser seems like a better option for the road as I'm starting out.

Last edited by bfoy24; 01-11-2019 at 01:22 AM.

post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 1,086 Times in 749 Posts
Quoted: 955 Post(s)

Sounds like you are doing it right.

Starting out on what fits and what works for you is far better than settling on a certain kind of bike and making yourself it it. There's a vast amount to learn, especially in the first six months or so of riding. Having to adapt to ergonomics that don't work very well gets in the way. Get the riding in traffic learning curve out of the way before moving to a different bike.

Going from a cruiser straight to a sportbike is a pretty big leap. The ergos are radically different. An intermediate step is a good idea, and probably a whole lot of fun if it's the right intermediate step. A standard or dual sport has more upright ergos than a cruiser or a sportbike and would make for a decent way to translate between the two. A bonus of a dual sport is playing in the dirt. You can't beat that for fun and for learning traction control.

Member in good standing of the global elitist agenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in