Things you should think about in talking to a new rider, for the experienced folks - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
All right meow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As Acalliste said, nicely written. I have tried to get my friends to progress sensibly, some did and some didn't. I agree with FB in his approach and the fact that we need to acknowledge we are involved in an inherently dangerous sport/way of life.

To those of you that have beat the greatest odds of crashing, you are still at risk. It is how you mitigate that risk. I had my first accident at 33 last summer, I have been on two wheels since 12. Did I mitigate the risks? Did I do everything in my power to avoid that accident? From my perspective yes.

With my wife knowing that I do everything I can to be safe, she made the choice today not to ride anymore. Why? Because she is not willing to accept that level of risk. We tried last year with her doing parking lot drills and taking the MSF. She said that she would take MSF this year again. But she no longer has the desire. I really wish that she would learn but I respect her decision and will abide by it. She said that she will still ride with me, but doesn't think she can develop the riding skills necessary to ride street.

I met Mr. Gravity, Mr. Momentum and Mr. Small Trees. These guys are assholes. If you can, don't do lunch with them. But if you do, you'll wish you had the gang with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM

hey fargin, got a lot of great info there. i was just wondering if you happen to have a similar set of data based on miles instead of months. if i look at the local bike classified ads, i would say about 90% of bike have only 1000 miles a year average. with that said, 3 or 4 years riding might seem like someone has a little experience even though they only have 4,000 miles under their belt.

great thread!
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by g34343greg
hey fargin, got a lot of great info there. i was just wondering if you happen to have a similar set of data based on miles instead of months. if i look at the local bike classified ads, i would say about 90% of bike have only 1000 miles a year average. with that said, 3 or 4 years riding might seem like someone has a little experience even though they only have 4,000 miles under their belt.

great thread!
I didn't see anything on mileage, although that would be very difficult to determine. If the ODO said 5K miles on the bike they were riding, that doesn't mean they've only ridden 5k.

My guess is that is why they didn't do it.

I've been riding since 86 and I would never be able to tell you exactly how many miles I've ridden.

FB 2.1r4R.I.P. Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Shitbike

I don't know how well the other riders here can exercise self control when giving advice. Personally I don't like to say anything in here unless I can speak from experience and it's backed up by something I've witnessed somewhere else as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargin
Whether you disagree with the verbiage or not, no one busts in with a "fucking moron" comment.
I do occasionally. I don't like to sugarcoat it.

I also agree that respect doesn't teach you how to ride, I've said it many times myself. But nobody really seems to care.
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Skid Mark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargin_Bastige
3. If you've been riding for less than 36 months, please don't give advice without letting people know that. Between months 1 and 36 you are most likely to get into an accident and the highest risk time is the period between months 12-36.
is there a way you can add a person's riding time to the spot right under their age and just above their number of posts? that little tidbit might make things easier when noobs are asking for advice...

s3aturnr

WERA Expert #68

Quote:
When in motion, squids can be observed to "park" on corner entry and abuse the throttle on any available straight.
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
is there a way you can add a person's riding time to the spot right under their age and just above their number of posts? that little tidbit might make things easier when noobs are asking for advice...

s3aturnr
We tried to post up the rider's resume section in here to let people know that. I will ask Fred.

FB 2.1r4R.I.P. Shawn

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
You're a Daisy if ya do

Nicely Written FB

even if you are a pompous ass and all

Kebbleesta.
i just put my pipe on. now I'm exhausted
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Good post FB...(insert clapping smiley here)

The problem I see with most newbies is they come on the forum and expect validation of their choices, even when their choices are bad...

Most newbies won't listen to anyone until after they have joined the "been down" club...

Some people just have to rash their own knees...

The founding fathers of America were not career politicians. They were the outlaws; the "angry extremists" who refused to quietly submit to an elite political establishment's oppressive rule over their lives.

NEVER forget that.

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Everyone is the exception until proven otherwise, it seems...

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Back Marker

Wanted to let yall know that 90zx7 was on his bike and was rearended by a car today. Nothing broken but has a head trauma and will be ok. I know he is new on here and was just talking about a few of the people on the website. He had the bike for a couple of weeks and was very excited about riding again. The lady that hit him was talking on a cellphone and ran a red light. Totaled his bike that he just purchased. He wanted me to say that he was wearing a helmet and that he will be right back on one as soon as he heals.
Thanks.
Stephanie.
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zx7
Wanted to let yall know that 90zx7 was on his bike and was rearended by a car today. Nothing broken but has a head trauma and will be ok. I know he is new on here and was just talking about a few of the people on the website. He had the bike for a couple of weeks and was very excited about riding again. The lady that hit him was talking on a cellphone and ran a red light. Totaled his bike that he just purchased. He wanted me to say that he was wearing a helmet and that he will be right back on one as soon as he heals.
Thanks.
Stephanie.
Damn! Sorry to hear that Stephanie. Tell him we are thinking of him, and to heal up soon! Keep us updated, if you have the time.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Drink! Drink! DRINK!!!

Oh man, so sorry to hear that. Be sure he comes back and starts a thread about what happened--other newbies like me learn a lot from discussions about crashes, what went wrong, and how they can be avoided in the future.

Sportbikes are

2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R | 2009 Kawasaki Versys | 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50

DISCLAIMER: Any advice I give is backed by careful thought, common sense, and a few years' experience. Use with caution. Side effects include headaches, nausea, rolling eyes, and occasional uncontrollable laughter. If a bad advice condition persists or worsens, ask a mod for good advice or seek professional help.
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
You will be missed Shawn

wow, talk about deja vu, he had just posted the day before saying HE WAS GETTING A SMALLER BIKE. Newbies, open your eyes. there is a reason for this.

Sorry to hear about his accident.
Fargin, very very good write up. You took alot of our thoughts and put them in an easy to read way.

CCS AM #567 Great Plains region.
some questions are best left un-asked...
Korisa...RIP, I'll miss you my friend. Always.
"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin."-KH

)o(

pssstttt...BTW, I'm a girl with boobs
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90zx7
Thanks.
Stephanie.
Sorry about the accident. I'm glad he's going to be ok.

The MSF teaches and warns about this often. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do except to try and make sure they see you, or if you see them on a cell, try and get out of their way.

FB 2.1r4R.I.P. Shawn

post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
SBN Noob Sauce

Where have you been you fargin bastige? I missed you jumping on the noobs and telling it like it is. I dont know if you stopped posting or I just missed it, but it seems you have been gone. I dont think we have spoken but I read alot of your post. Maybe it is because I haven't been reading the newrider forum. Just wanted to let you know I missed you. Awesome post by the way. It was needed.

Great stuff and junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in