The sv650s, a good noobie bike? - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The sv650s, a good noobie bike?

I am perhaps the noobest of noobs. I am scheduled to take the MSF class starting tomorrow. From reading all the posts, I see the suzuki sv650 come up alot. What makes this bike such a good noobie bike. Also is the sv650 and sv650s the same bike. I am planning on getting a bike very soon. Any advice is good advice...thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 07:47 AM
what R you lookin' at?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

it's a questionable first bike. and is debated alot......

i don't think it's a good starter bike and www.beginnerbikes.com agrees w/ me. and i own 1.

other's think it is.........../shrug

'14 GROM 125cc's of FURY!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory- Sold
'09 Suzuki SFV-Sold
'08 Busa- Sold
'00 VFR - Sold
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 08:15 AM
500 G.P. Champion

I bought an SV as my fourth bike and really don't think it's good for a complete newbie. They aren't the most powerful bikes out there, but they make power sooner in the rev range, so throttle control is very important.

A complete newbie probably won't have the required control.

SVS's have lower bars, higher pegs, and a quarter fairing with two headlights instead of one.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Mess with the Bull.....

Thanked 1,761 Times in 967 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

IT's debateable...If you have years of dirtbike experience under your belt, you have a higher chance of succeeding...If it's your first bike period, it'd probably bite you in the arse...

Get a GS 500...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS 500.jpg
Views:	2101
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	16388  

SBN Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to PM me with any questions or concerns
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 11:59 AM
old member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I am perhaps the noobest of noobs. I am scheduled to take the MSF class starting tomorrow. From reading all the posts, I see the suzuki sv650 come up alot. What makes this bike such a good noobie bike. Also is the sv650 and sv650s the same bike. I am planning on getting a bike very soon. Any advice is good advice...thanks.
The sv650 is probably the upper end of what most would recommend as a first bike. See how MSF goes and talk to the instructors. The sv v-twin is a great engine, but it is a little twitchy at low rpms until you get used to it. The sv is naked (no fairing to block the wind) with a more upright riding position (not too much of a reach to the grips). The svs has a small faring and a little more aggressive (leaned forward, more of a reach to the grips, feet back and up a little) riding position.

Good job for starting with the MSF and let us know how it goes.

Go Aggies (Division 1 now?)!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:37 PM
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs

i agree with braker get a gs500 they are awsome bikes. i still havent got my bike yet but i know a few people with them and they love them. another great starter bike aswell is a ninja 500.
good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:08 PM

Ok guys, I got this one.

I would be an "expert" at this one, because of:

A) I am a Noob myself
and
B) I own a SV650S

I bought my 04' SV650S back in June and have never been on a bike in my life. It was my very first bike but I had a good trainer (my stepfather). I was already setup for the MSF course but had to wait about 2 months before my classes started. Now I have a problem with patience, so my Stepfather and I went out to some bike shops to check out some different models. First I took heed to others advice (here, beginerbikes.com, and others) and started checking out the Ninja 250. I sat on one and I swear it sunk down 3 inches and I felt like a giant (I'm 6'2 220lbs).

So I checked out a few other places and came across a 04' Yellow SV650S. Sat down on it, not really sure what I expecting to feel or to look for, being my first bike. I liked it. That was friday night. Went back saturday and picked her up. Of course I didn't ride her home, that's where my stepfather came in.

I got it home that night and praticed in the driveway. It was not easy just learning the basics of starting off and going parallel with the road. There were a few times I started off with my bike not pointed straight with the road and instead of tuning with the road, I went straight and ended up almost going over the curb at the other side. The throttle feels very touchy when your first leaning to control it.

Long story short, if I would have started on a 250 instead, I think my learning curve may have been better than it is. Though I may look funny, I would have felt more comfortable and possibaly be more experienced with my riding ability thus far. It has been done (I am proof), but would I recommend it? Start with something smaller untill you have built up some experence, then go bigger.

Well, thats my experence in a nut shell.

Sti27
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 04:53 PM

Don't you know you really need a Busa? I mean, c;mon, you wanna look cool for the hotties, right?

Just kidding, man. Alot of new riders here are on SV's and they all love them. The only SV's I've seen beat up are the ones where the new guy is also trying to learn to stunt. I think you'll be fine given that you already are smart enough to get the stars out of your eyes and realize that an R6 may not be for you. That alone goes far in saying that you just might RESPECT the bike.
Respect is the number one thing to come equipped with. Realize that even a 250 will spit you on your a$$ if you act like a moron. Remember, even a ZX-10 does nothing without the rider's wrist telling it to. YOU control the bike, not vice versa. The bigger question is whether you can control YOU.
You're off to a good start by asking questions and not getting caught up in the SS bike/big dick thing. Regardless of what bike you buy, keep that sense of humility and maturity and you'll do fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in