How the Lead Ban is Affecting Youth Motosports - Sportbikes.net
Motocross / Super Motard Since Sportbikes and Motocross, Supermotord are so close we now cater to this field and will have information on these items

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How the Lead Ban is Affecting Youth Motosports

Taken from Welcome to WisconsinMX.com
Quote:

This was posted on our district site, the letter is from Greg Robinson, Owner of Unadilla...

Good Afternoon...forget the good, as our country has descended into lunacy.

I have spent most of the day on two conference calls relative to the subject line above, and I must say I am rather concerned about the fate of our sport and industry. Not to mention our local communities for the further loss of jobs and $$ that our industry brings in each year. It is certainly that dire..believe me.

As of yesterday, all the OEMs had to pull for sale all new youth minicycles and atvs for those under the age of 13...this under order of the CPSC due to lead content of plastics and certain metals. As of yesterday, a dealer or private individual can no longer provide parts or service, to these affected machines, in which there is a possibility that those same parts may contain lead...no oil changes, plastic, levers, engine cases, etc, etc..goggles, helmets, clothing, knee braces..you name it. You may think that is just for new machines, but it is for everything new and used.

The CPSC also ruled that machines under 85cc are considered toxic to the health of young children.

Effective yesterday, Honda has pulled replacement parts from their service system for these machines pending lead certification...this takes 400 days. KTM, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are doing the same thing. If you have a 1,2,3 year old machine, you won't be able to buy most parts for it very soon.

Yamaha is sending out restrictions to its dealers saying that an 85cc bike can only be sold, and should only be operated by someone over the age of 13.

Now to the fun part for us as a race promoter.

Because the manufacturers are now issuing these guidelines, we as promoters cannot allow a youth under the age of 13 to participate for two reasons.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that has been determined by the manufacturer and the CPSC to be unsafe for that age level.
We are allowing someone to participate in a sanctioned activity on a vehicle that the CPSC has determined is a toxic substance.
If you think I am joking, consider the following
MX Sports is considering removing youth classes from the Loretta Lynn's program, GNCC, and ATV Nationals...we run all three of these series and I can tell you that these classes make up over 1/3 of our entries and more than half of our attendance.
The AMA will be forced to ban youths under 13 from any AMA amateur or pro competition due to legal ramifications. The same will apply to local districts and sanctioning bodies, as insurance will not be available to cover this exposure. The lifeblood of our sport are these kids..if they cannot participate, they will find something else to do, and we will not get them back. They will not race, watch, or buy products. That means Mom, Dad and older brothers/sisters won't be there either.
Unadilla would most likely not participate in any form of amateur racing..with only half or less of the entries left, it wouldn't be financially possible.
DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION YET!

There are two efforts going on right now to get a temporary stay granted by the CPSC for "Off Road Vehicles." The MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) and Missouri State House Rep Mike Sense(#4 in line in the MO st govt) are both developing grass roots letter campaigns through websites to develop a ground swell of support for this stay. Keep in mind this is only temporary, and unless a Federal injunction or legislation is developed, this isn't going away.

There are several opinions floating around on this subject saying that our thinking is flawed and that only the sale of new units is affected...if that is the case, why are helmet, goggle, sneakers, sunglasses, OEM parts and accessories, and dealer service being pulled for these units???

I will leave you with this..if indeed this is overblown, and we are right that we shouldn't be affected by this, it still doesn't mean that we can't/won't be sued by someone using this logic, and worse yet, convince a jury that the above is true. If it gets that far, you will have spent nearly a million $$ in your own defense, just to prove you were right all along.

IS IT WORTH THAT TO YOU?

I will get you info on the two websites, and I encourage you to beg everyone you know that rides, owns, promotes, or attends an off road sporting event to get everyone they know in the same manner to fill out one of these letters...Every Mom Dad and Kid should individually enter their name. Then they should contact their local representatives too.

Thanks for listening, and please do not think you can't make a difference..contact your local representatives as well..explain the economic impact this will have..educate yourself on this subject as quickly as you can.

Greg Robinson
VP Marketing
Unadillla Motorsports
© 315-725-9537
[email protected]

It's not my fault. I'm a COW-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Realtor That Rides!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Hawaiian
hehe dems muh gurlz. Tough as nails and fast as lightning!! w00t

You girls ROCK!!!
~Thanks for everything KH. When I finally clear my first triple, I know it's because you are with me. I miss you, my good friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

What can you do? Write letters, sign petitions and send emails:
MX Sports Letter here:
http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1417062&r...2edoc&g=0&f=-1
AMA Direct link here:
Issues & legislation of interest to motorcyclists
Our kids should not be denied the right to participate in these sports due to companies being irresponsible in their out sourcing processes.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
~Thanks for everything KH. When I finally clear my first triple, I know it's because you are with me. I miss you, my good friend.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndebmbr View Post
What can you do? Write letters, sign petitions and send emails:
MX Sports Letter here:
http://cmpgnr.com/r.html?c=1417062&r...2edoc&g=0&f=-1
AMA Direct link here:
Issues & legislation of interest to motorcyclists
Our kids should not be denied the right to participate in these sports due to companies being irresponsible in their out sourcing processes.
Good post Tammy, thanks for posting. I just signed the petition and sent out an email.

Motocross / Super Motard Forum Moderator

You start out motorcycling with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Some people are like slinkies; they're good for nothing but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Thanks Greg!

Closer to a sigh of relief?

Information released today:
http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/draf...esguidance.pdf

Here's a quote from their pdf.

In addition, as part of the staff’s proposed approach, the CPSC staff looked to the definition of “toy” in the ASTM F963-07 toy safety standard for guidance.7 The CPSIA makes ASTM F963 a mandatory CPSC standard on February 10, 2009. ASTM F963 excludes certain types of articles from the definition of toy:

Bicycles

Tricycles

Sling shots and sharp-pointed darts

Playground equipment

Non-powder guns

Kites

Art materials, model kits, and hobby items in which the finished products is not primarily of play value8

Sporting goods, camping goods, athletic equipment, musical instruments, and furniture, except for toy versions of these

Powered models of aircraft, rockets, boats, and land vehicles

But I see no mention of actual vehicles.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM
MAVERICK

I JUST put all my kids gear on layaway last friday and let them climb all over the honda 50 at the bike shop. I get a call on Monday telling me that unless I can get down there that day and buy the bikes, I might not be able to at all.

This really pisses me off and I've signed every petition I've seen.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM
MAVERICK

Quote:
The CPSIA considers a toy to be a “toy that can be placed in a child’s mouth” if “any part of the toy can actually be brought to the mouth and kept in the mouth…so that it can be sucked and chewed.”10 In addition, if any part of the toy is less than 5 cm in any dimension, then it can be mouthed. Thus, if the manufacturer determines that an article is a “toy” under section 108 of the CPSIA, then the manufacturer must determine whether the toy can be mouthed.

I don't think I've ever seen a child chewing on a motorcycle before.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

We are trying to rally all enthusiasts/riders/supporters and be on every state capitol's doorstep on March 13, 2009. We are banding through Thumpertalk. Check out info here:
State Capitol Rally - Lead Bike & ATV Ban - Been seen and heard! - ThumperTalk
Please help us get the message through!!!

Also be sure to check out Representative Tom Self | Official Website 2 seconds and you have sent another letter.

Facebook people, a group has been started:
Help save children's Motorsports! | Facebook

I had to break the news to Sierra this morning. Not only will she not be able to race, but she won't be allowed on a public track until she is 13.......that did not go over very well.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
World 500 GP Racer

this is complete bullshit . will this ban be lifted once the bikes are lead free and i agree when was the last time a kid ate his dirt bike
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
500 GP Racer

I've certainly bit the dust enough times, but never intentionally bit my bike (nor have I seen it done).

"'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
-Aberham Lincoln-
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Superbike Champion

update?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Silent pipes take lives

Garage
Idiot lawmakers strike again.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:35 PM
World 500 GP Racer

chill out it was lifted, but all dealerships have to put up this sign:

"I dont see holy wars fought in the name of Satan"- Glenn Danzig
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
SBN Rookie

the socilaist republic of femocrats(and re-snublicans) is trying to brainwash,and control us and our money,and change the US Constitution to do it. Lock and load, NOW. I signed a petition @Indy last weekend at the show.And will contact my local government representatives...more people should do this.I just recieved a notification that newly proposed regulated firearm legislation in Maryland, was "withdrawn" due to constituents outcry, as in contacting local government representatives,via phone,or email . *We the People ... !!! Are WE really watching "OUR" budget/spending these days ?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Silent pipes take lives

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litemoto View Post
the socilaist republic of femocrats(and re-snublicans) is trying to brainwash,and control us and our money,and change the US Constitution to do it. Lock and load, NOW. I signed a petition @Indy last weekend at the show.And will contact my local government representatives...more people should do this.I just recieved a notification that newly proposed regulated firearm legislation in Maryland, was "withdrawn" due to constituents outcry, as in contacting local government representatives,via phone,or email . *We the People ... !!! Are WE really watching "OUR" budget/spending these days ?
For those who are interested, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act passed with 215 out of 231 Democrat votes (93%), and 192 out of 201 Republican votes (96%).

Definitely bipartisan idiocy, with the Republicans having the edge on banning yet another thing from our lives. At least now we have much less safe Cadmium in our children's toys. Win!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:51 AM
SBN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydropcbr6 View Post
this is complete bullshit . will this ban be lifted once the bikes are lead free and i agree when was the last time a kid ate his dirt bike
Yes, this is complete disgusting, there must be some solution for this.

Last edited by Sunexim; 01-21-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in