LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3256 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Taking my time....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vade Diablo View Post
I don't think you are ever going to succeed in classifying anyone into one particular category, unless that category is mutually exclusive and valid. I think both the categories of 'Sportrider' and 'Harley Rider' are a perfect example of such misunderstanding and branding.

I really do not care what you ride, as long as you got two wheels, a friendly personality and enjoy your times on the bike no matter the skill level or pace. Anyone who argues the opposite does not know me very well.

Im all about the experiences a bike can give me, and most of my best memories were from the days were I was limited to riding a 50cc moped . But that moped was how I got into riding and the possibilities that came with that ownership has probably made me take up riding again after a number of years of abstinence.

I will ride anything once, but I have my preferences to what I want myself and what I would like the bike to do for me. Just because my bike isn't the same as yours doesn't mean jack - and I will wave to anyone who shares that philosophy
There is a certain "snob factor" that is involved with the ownership of a BMW. (at least according to Danny)

They travel in the time of the prophets
On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun
Like lovers and hereos, and the restless part of everyone
We're only at home when we're on the run

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3257 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Taking my time....

Dirk, on a serious note, what types of HP gains can typically be obtained with a Power Commander? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Are there other less expensive ways to achieve the same results?

post #3258 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Taking my time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotfazed View Post
Glen this goldwing phase will not last long, the only thing them boats are missing are sails. face it, the only person u like following is iroc.
TJ, you're just jealous that Glen is chasing Danny and you can't catch him.

post #3259 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drur View Post
Dirk, on a serious note, what types of HP gains can typically be obtained with a Power Commander? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Are there other less expensive ways to achieve the same results?
it depends on several factors, really. The make and model of the bike and what modifications have been done being the top two.

On all EFI yamahas, there is a built in tuner that has to be unlocked through a ground wire somewhere on the bike. Then, on bikes with a digital display, you can use the select and reset buttons to adjust your fuel level.

On 2007 and older Victorys a dealership who knows what they are doing can tune using Polaris's Digital Wrench software making electronic adjustments to the TPS.

Some other bikes have other ways to simply be remapped. I know the ZX6 (636) had a wire you could ground and it would change from the stingy US EPA map to the Euro map. Likely there are tricks like this for most bikes.

Yamaha's official stance on power commander's is that unless you are running a seriously built race motor, their EFI is good enough to compensate. We have found that to be true.

A power commander does give a lot of adjustment and the ability to fine tune beyond what is, in my opinion, necessary. I have my cat removed and a very free flowing exhaust, race air filter and am tuned using the dyno and CO mode (Yamaha's onboard system). If you look at my exhaust tip, I am running a bit rich, not lean like most people fear.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have more questions.

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

25,600 miles and counting - 22,000 since May 08

post #3260 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Taking my time....

Thanks for the quick response Dirk. Several folks on the Vulcan forum have said you really need to open the intake side of the engine before you start messing with anything else.

It is amazing how little HP is produced by a V-twin. You pointed that out recently with your example of the "new" Wide Glide.

post #3261 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response Dirk. Several folks on the Vulcan forum have said you really need to open the intake side of the engine before you start messing with anything else.

It is amazing how little HP is produced by a V-twin. You pointed that out recently with your example of the "new" Wide Glide.
very likely true. Your Vulcan is an overhead cam engine and as such should out perform a HD engine any day. Shop around for intakes. We have seen Victorys gain 10hp at the tire from just an aftermarket airbox.

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3262 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Taking my time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid80 View Post
very likely true. Your Vulcan is an overhead cam engine and as such should out perform a HD engine any day. Shop around for intakes. We have seen Victorys gain 10hp at the tire from just an aftermarket airbox.
Thanks, one of these days when the children are out of the house, I would love to buy a Victory. Always liked those bikes and I hear the quality and reliability is awesome.

I'll look on eBay for an intake.

post #3263 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
TJ, you're just jealous that Glen is chasing Danny and you can't catch him.
im not really jealous i have you chasing me and now since glen made the playing field equal, we will see whose is faster.
post #3264 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Superbike Racer

i got progressive liability for one year $324, with one speeding ticket. what ya think. I going to take that msf class soon also.
post #3265 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
i got progressive liability for one year $324, with one speeding ticket. what ya think. I going to take that msf class soon also.
might be a bit high. I pay $360 a year for full coverage but I am older and married.

edit: that is with state farm

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3266 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Taking my time....

Quote:
TJ, you will more than likely be seriously injured or worse before you hit my age. Better to be alive to ride another day than crash and burn.

post #3267 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
TJ, you will more than likely be seriously injured or worse before you hit my age. Better to be alive to ride another day than crash and burn.
huh? what does that mean?

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3268 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
World Superbike Champion

drur is telling tj he cant hang with me and if he tries he may end up in a ditch or a hospital bed. i ride to have fun not to see who is faster, but if we must tj you name the road and i will make you my bitch just like danny did at the holiday inn.
post #3269 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Superbike Racer

Ya keep forgetting that GLEN and DRU shared the other bed holding each other pistols through the night. GLEN when i come down there, we are going to settle this. Im faster than you bro, trust me. but enough talkin we will let the throttle talk.
post #3270 of 4460 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Taking my time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid80 View Post
huh? what does that mean?
Out of our small group of riders, TJ is the only one to seriously lay a bike down (wheelie that got out of control), has multiple tickets, had the cops chasing Danny and him down because TJ was lane splitting down Hwy 61, etc.
He rode for several months with no license plates either.

Love ya TJ but I really don't want to have to visit you in the hospital or attend your funeral. Riding the way you do will only end in one result and you need to slow your ass down.

I know that many times I act as the safety officer when we ride but that stems from 23 years of military service. When I instruct, I am responsible for the safety of 30 other soldiers and get mighty pissed when I see one of my students committing an unsafe act.

If you can't live to ride another day, what's the point?

We all takes risks when we ride but I do the best I can to mitigate those risks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in