southeast missouri - Page 207 - Sportbikes.net
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3091 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Superbike Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My suggestion is a 06-08 650r...but I'm biased a little.

Quote:
btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where the bike has taken me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OrangeJulio on xbl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Superbike Racer

the 650r is faster off the line due to have more torque BUT the Fz6 is better in the higher rpms. around 7000 so if want that torque go with the 650r OR if you to fly past them down the road its the fz6 all the way.
post #3093 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotfazed View Post
the 650r is faster off the line due to have more torque BUT the Fz6 is better in the higher rpms. around 7000 so if want that torque go with the 650r OR if you to fly past them down the road its the fz6 all the way.
only if you ride both bikes the same way. If you both start at idle with the clutch out, yes the Ninja will beat it off the line. However, if you launch the FZ while holding the revs at 8k and slip the clutch, the horsepower advantage should make the difference right from the start.

The ninja has more low end grunt, the FZ6 has more horsepower.

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

25,600 miles and counting - 22,000 since May 08

post #3094 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Superbike Racer

how strudy is the clutch on the fz6 i heard with a good launch you can blow it out.
post #3095 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
how strudy is the clutch on the fz6 i heard with a good launch you can blow it out.
same clutch as a non-slipper clutch R6. Should be crazy durable. We have never changed a FZ6 clutch.

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3096 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Superbike Racer

Who races off the line anyway? It will hold its own on the twisties which is the only place that matters to me.

Quote:

OrangeJulio on xbl

Last edited by buddy8771; 02-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
post #3097 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Taking my time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy8771 View Post
My suggestion is a 06-08 650r...but I'm biased a little.
I kinda like 'em also. Good bang for the buck.

Krid, no offense intended but you are like any other person who is in the business in that you would defend/talk up whatever brand of bike you happen to sell.

The fact of the matter is that every major manufacturer of motorcycles makes a good product for the most part. Sure there are individual models that may have above average problems but every manufacturer from BMW to Yamaha experiences this. A little research can reveal which models have the most problems and all you have to do is avoid them.

Do some research and buy whatever appeals to you most. Make a list of potential bikes and check the insurance rates BEFORE you buy.

Either the FZ6 or the 650r would make a good bike to start with.

Considering your age (and I assume you aren't very large) I would look at the Ninja 250r. Insurance would be much cheaper and they hold their value VERY well.

They travel in the time of the prophets
On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun
Like lovers and hereos, and the restless part of everyone
We're only at home when we're on the run

post #3098 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drur View Post
Krid, no offense intended but you are like any other person who is in the business in that you would defend/talk up whatever brand of bike you happen to sell. ......

.....Either the FZ6 or the 650r would make a good bike to start with.

Considering your age (and I assume you aren't very large) I would look at the Ninja 250r. Insurance would be much cheaper and they hold their value VERY well.
Dru I know you really don't know me very well. I am not all about the sale, all about what the dealership I work for sells, and driven only by what is gonna make me money.

I work for a Yamaha dealership because I have always loved Yamaha. We also sell Polaris, KTM and Victory. I think KTM's are crazy cool but would not recommend them to someone wanting Japanese style reliabilty. Victory motorcycles are nice and I would recommend them highly because they are insanely reliable but do have a higher maintenance cost than a Yamaha Star motorcycle.

Polaris is my downfall. I really don't like Polaris ATV's. Their quality is ok but in my opinion not on par with the Japanese. Their clutching system on their cvt automatic atv's is quite outdated and seriously sub-par. They do have their strong points: their ride quality and payload is second to none, and for a serious work horse (aside from the clutch) it is quite strong. That said, I would rank atv's in this order for my ownership preference:
1. Yamaha
2. Honda
3. Kawasaki
4. Suzuki
5. Bombardier/CanAm
6. Polaris
7. Arctic Cat

So, Dru, no offense, but please don't discredit my statements based on a job I have. I will use my occupation to assist others but not to try to convince a buyer to buy "brand A" over "brand B" just because we sell "A" even if it is obviously the wrong choice.

All that aside, I agree with the last part of Dru's post. You will be happy with either the Kaw 650 or FZ6, but the Ninja 250 would probably be the best choice if you are inexperienced. And if you shop around for a used 250, you can usually buy one, ride it for a year, and make all your money back when you sell it.

EDIT: sorry, Glen just saw it was Dru

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

Last edited by krid80; 02-16-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: OOPS! Edited because I thought I was mad at Glen
post #3099 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Sorry Glen, if you saw my reply to Dru, I mistakenly thought I was replying to you. Dru, I know you don't know me well at all, but I am not all about "the man." I like what I like regardless where I work. (Actually, I work where I work because of what I like.)

Edit: Also, I don't sell bikes, I work in service.

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3100 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Taking my time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid80 View Post
Dru I know you really don't know me very well. I am not all about the sale, all about what the dealership I work for sells, and driven only by what is gonna make me money.

I work for a Yamaha dealership because I have always loved Yamaha. We also sell Polaris, KTM and Victory. I think KTM's are crazy cool but would not recommend them to someone wanting Japanese style reliabilty. Victory motorcycles are nice and I would recommend them highly because they are insanely reliable but do have a higher maintenance cost than a Yamaha Star motorcycle.

Polaris is my downfall. I really don't like Polaris ATV's. Their quality is ok but in my opinion not on par with the Japanese. Their clutching system on their cvt automatic atv's is quite outdated and seriously sub-par. They do have their strong points: their ride quality and payload is second to none, and for a serious work horse (aside from the clutch) it is quite strong. That said, I would rank atv's in this order for my ownership preference:
1. Yamaha
2. Honda
3. Kawasaki
4. Suzuki
5. Bombardier/CanAm
6. Polaris
7. Arctic Cat

So, Dru, no offense, but please don't discredit my statements based on a job I have. I will use my occupation to assist others but not to try to convince a buyer to buy "brand A" over "brand B" just because we sell "A" even if it is obviously the wrong choice.

All that aside, I agree with the last part of Dru's post. You will be happy with either the Kaw 650 or FZ6, but the Ninja 250 would probably be the best choice if you are inexperienced. And if you shop around for a used 250, you can usually buy one, ride it for a year, and make all your money back when you sell it.

EDIT: sorry, Glen just saw it was Dru
Dirk, I was hoping you would clarify your position and you did so quite nicely. You are certainly the exception and not the norm and I believe you would agree with me.

The local BMW dealership in Cape would have you believe that there is no other motorcycle worth owning besides a BMW. I truly believe the owner/staff would have the same position if they were selling Ducati, Aprilia, or any other European boutique brand.

There are very few bikes that work well for a beginner and the Ninja 250 certainly ranks near the top of that short list. Reliable, cheap to operate, fairly quick and gets killer fuel mileage.

Check Craigslist as you can usually find a ton of them for sale.

post #3101 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Superbike Racer

Wow didn't mean to open that can of worms. I was just throwing it out there that I think 650r is good too.

Quote:

OrangeJulio on xbl
post #3102 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Superbike Racer

all i have to say about the 250r is getting ready to sell it within a year, especially riding with these guys. Im not saying that pack ridiculously fast its just that 250r is just a starter bike. Dont expect to ride cross country on it, it doesn't like to ride above eighty. Doing the jump up to the slower 600 group would give you a bike that can handle long distances and also has decent power. Drur made it to and from north Carolina without problems, and krid also travel to multiple states with his fz6.
post #3103 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Sport Touring Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by drur View Post
Dirk, I was hoping you would clarify your position and you did so quite nicely. You are certainly the exception and not the norm and I believe you would agree with me.

The local BMW dealership in Cape would have you believe that there is no other motorcycle worth owning besides a BMW. I truly believe the owner/staff would have the same position if they were selling Ducati, Aprilia, or any other European boutique brand.

There are very few bikes that work well for a beginner and the Ninja 250 certainly ranks near the top of that short list. Reliable, cheap to operate, fairly quick and gets killer fuel mileage.

Check Craigslist as you can usually find a ton of them for sale.
I probably am the exception and not the norm, but then again, I always have been. I used to own a heavily modified (engine swapped, trans swapped, custom suspension) SATURN sedan. NOT NORMAL! LOL

As for Euro bikes, I would love to own a MV Augusta Brutale and an Aprilia Futura (no longer made) but I can't afford them. Likely I will own an FJR next because of their ridiculous reliabilty and range (both comfort and fuel capacity).

Quote:
all i have to say about the 250r is getting ready to sell it within a year, especially riding with these guys. Im not saying that pack ridiculously fast its just that 250r is just a starter bike. Dont expect to ride cross country on it, it doesn't like to ride above eighty. Doing the jump up to the slower 600 group would give you a bike that can handle long distances and also has decent power. Drur made it to and from north Carolina without problems, and krid also travel to multiple states with his fz6.
Very true. Since you already had a Chinabike200 Supersport you will likely be out riding the 250R fairly quickly especially if you ride behind Danny (Iroc). You will learn a whole lot real quick. It really depends on how much you plan on riding and if you wanna bother selling another bike.

So long as you respect a 600/650 non SS class bike, you should be just fine. The FZ6 is a kitten below 8,000 rpm where it starts transforming into a screamer.

Buddy, you don't need to apologize, If people thought I was that shallow, I am glad to be able to change their mind.

How things looking for a western trip, guys?

2006 FZ6 Red 96rwhp

post #3104 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Taking my time....

Quote:
And TJ, none of those things are required when learning to ride a bike. Tiger is a teenager and needs experience, not a cross country tour.

Besides, there are folks who have done Iron Butt runs on a 250 so don't discredit the bike so easily.

post #3105 of 4460 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Superbike Racer

Well, I am pretty happy with our tax return and my bike will soon be back on the road. It needed a lot of small things, but in my current situation, it was just out of reach. New rear tire, chain and sprockets and some other stuff.

Anyway, it's in pieces at the moment but I'm excited. Dirk, it's in Nathan's garage now. It looks good naked.

Quote:

OrangeJulio on xbl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in