speakers installation in helmet - Sportbikes.net
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

speakers installation in helmet

Looking to install speakers in a helmet. Any suggestions on he pros and cons of this topic. Any idea on brand of speakers and sound quality after completed or should I just go with headphones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Whitehorse Press

Whitehorse Gear - IMC Helmet Music Speaker Kit

[COLOR="Red"]The founding fathers of America were not career politicians. They were the outlaws; the "angry extremists" who refused to quietly submit to an elite political establishment's oppressive rule over their lives.

NEVER forget that.

[/COLOR]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Lickalotapuss

Garage
I got a cheapy set and the volume sucked. I now use the ones from Chatterbox.

The Predator is a meanie weanie

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 PM
SuperBike Champion

Any more solutions/products people have used?

:00wsb
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"] [B][COLOR="black"]07 Raven FZ1 [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](May 06 2009)[/COLOR][/B] Penske 8983|HyperPro Damper|HEL SS,EBC XPro Pads|ASV Shorties|SM Bars|Micron Full System|Lars AB|BMC|Roth VS, AIE|FCE|CD Flies|PC3, IM|Arao EXUP Elim,Shelf|BlindSpot's Anti-kink Fuel Line Mod
CF Chin Cowl|PB CF Hugger|CNC Gas Cap|Red Bits|T-Rex Frame, Axle Sliders|Targa FE,Tank Pad|Sargent Seat|Short Puig DB|Satan666 Hwy Pegs|TechSpec Tank Grips|Rearsets Stiffened|FZ6 pegs|Powerlet|Heated Grips|HIDs|Integrated Taillight|Proton Flushmounts
[B][COLOR="black"]06 Black FZ6:[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](July 29 2007)[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Black"][B]SOLD![/B][/COLOR] R6S Forks,Speedbleeders,SS Lines,HH Sintered Brake Pads|15T,Speedohealer v3|K&N|Puig Light Smoke Racing|06 FZ1 Bar|Axle Sliders|FE|Powerlet|Dual Headlight Mod (White)|F/R Arrow Signals|Pod Light Mod|Fiamm HB Lo Tone|Reflective Frame Decals|BT-016[/COLOR][/SIZE]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
18 Hours to Daytona

1. Some of my HJC helmets (like the Symax series) came with removable "ear pads" so products like the Chatterbox speakers could be inserted. These pads were conveniently held in place with velcro.

My homegrown solution:

Disassemble a set of headphones. You want the speaker and the wires only.

Cut a slit into the pads.

The speakers will fit into the pads. At this point, you must use caution as the wires at the speaker are soldered on and easily broken.

Most headphone sets will have some sort of tension relief (kindof like a knot) that will reduce/prevent strain on the wires leading to the speaker. If you have this, place the tension relief inside the pad and sew the pad around it. It doesn't have to be pretty...

If you don't have a tension relief, you can create one by using some hot glue on the spot where you want to have the relief.

Cost: ~$15

2. I ran the cord under my jacket to a waterproof clip-on stereo on my belt that I picked up from Radio Shack for about $20. That worked a lot better than the Scala Rider even though I can't answer my phone that way. As it turns out, I can live without the phone while riding. What an amazing concept!

Scala Rider
Cost: ~$100 - $150

3. I've also used the inexpensive Sony "over the ear" headphones for shorter rides (less than 40 minutes). They are somewhat uncomfortable for extended periods of time, though you get better sound quality than any kind of speaker not "inside" your ear. These headphones also help block out road/wind noise.

Cost: ~$15

4. The most expensive yet effective option I've to-date heard about involves going to the hearing doctor who can take a mold of your ear and have something like the Koss speakers imbedded in them. I've ridden with just ear buds and never been comfortable with them, nor have I had great success getting them to stay put. This sounds like the ultimate option, but I've never laid eyes on this setup. I'm not sure if the guy telling me this was full of himself or not...

Cost: $200 to $300

5. Whether you ultimately decide to destroy your hearing from music or road/wind noise is up to you. After my wife started complaining that I kept turning the TV up too loud, I started using disposable ear plugs (which are the cheapest and most effective) to prevent additional hearing loss. Don't need music when the machine makes its own

Cost: ~$5

Happy Riding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Superbike Champion

Helmet Audio .com - Motorcycle Helmet Speakers, Intercoms, Throat Mics, and More!

89 Mazda RX-7 Vert Stock. 74 Mazda R.E.P.U. Flare Yellow far from stock. 05 ZZR600, moded well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 AM
needs another beer

we sell autocom systems where i work. they are the only ones we've used that do well at everything. they have inputs for your cell phone, ipod (or whatever audio you want to use) bike to bike communication and even a radar detector input. the ear pieces go under the foam padding in your helmet and are very thin, if you put them in correctly you won't even notice they are there. the microphone is your choice, it goes near your mouth in the helmet. that allows the cell phone and push to talk feature. this is kind of a spendy system but it consistently gets very good reviews.

ASMA amateur #121
GF&T wrecking ball
[COLOR="Red"]If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.[/COLOR]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by texBahn View Post
... I started using disposable ear plugs (which are the cheapest and most effective) to prevent additional hearing loss. Don't need music when the machine makes its own

Cost: ~$5

Happy Riding!
Amen to that

2004 CRF 230F
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Supersport Racer

We have awesome helmet kits for your ipod or any mp3 player. PM me or check out our website... Rugged Radios - Systems - Motorcycle
Ive had mine in for almost a year now and have had zero problems.

[COLOR="Blue"]Rugged Race Products ... Supplying all your 2-Way Communication Needs![/COLOR]

1 (888)541-RACE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Supersport Racer

Let me know if you need advice on install questions too cause i do them all day

[COLOR="Blue"]Rugged Race Products ... Supplying all your 2-Way Communication Needs![/COLOR]

1 (888)541-RACE

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:22 PM

My solution

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/gen...ml#post4156497

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/gen...ml#post4156497

This was my solution....I tried flat speaker in a helmet, but road and wind noise inder a helmet becomes the main issue, at any speed over 45 or more.
Increasing the volume just creates too much noise and I ended up with headaches, and frustrated.
Once I was finally able to block out most external noise, I could hear my music and enjoy the ride....I was even able to capture a lot of quality at reasonable sound levels. I believe that its the way to go if you are on a budget.....

GOod LuCk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in