Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How To Install Cigarette Lighter Type Power Outlets

** I posted this on a couple forums after I did this today. Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone needed it **

Just thought I'd post a "how to" since I didn't see one online anywhere for this simple mod. Aimed at "idiots" like me that need pictures to understand what anybody is talking about...so apologies in advance for the slow load time...

If you've got a basic garden variety sportbike like me, then you may have noticed that they lack auxiliary power outlets like some fancy touring bikes have. And if you're like me, you occasionally forget to charge you iPod and cellphone before heading out on a ride. And if you're like me, you kinda want the option of being able to add a radar like an X50 (not a Solo or other such battery powered one), and maybe a GPS, and maybe a Roady2, etc, etc...Here's a pictorial guide for how to install some auxiliary power outlets on your sportbike, so that you can power up all your electronics (tip: put electronics in tank bag)

My supplies (inline blade type fuse holder, 15 amp fuses, etc.):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

My tool arsenal (drill, rotary tool, basic drill bits and grinding bits, beer):
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

I got a couple Truck Bed Liner cigarette lighter type power outlets because they are weatherproof (and have a 17 foot hot wire). I chose the mounting points shown in photo below because those locations had enough clearance for the underside of the power outlet assembly without having to modify the ram air ducts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Drill a pilot hole in the vicinity of the area you wish to mount. Then place the ring from the bottom of the power outlet over the pilot hole. Use this as your guide to grind out the hole using rotary tool. You could alternatively use a hole-saw like the power outlet instructions say, but I didn't have a hole saw bit.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

If you haven't already unscrewed the cap (and ring) from the underside of outlet, do so. Feed the wires down through the top side of ram air duct cover and see if outlet fits. Grind until it fits flush. Then screw the bottom cap and ring back underneath.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Test fit on your bike for clearance. Measure and mark the length of wire you need to reach the battery.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Cut the hot wire to the length you marked (save the excess). Solder the inline blade type fuse holder to the hot (red) wire. Install a 15 amp blade type fuse. Crimp and solder a ring connector on the end of fuse holder

Cut a length of wire from the excess hot (red) wire and solder to the ground (black) wire so that the total length is same as hot wire. Crimp and solder a ring connector on the end of ground wire. Picture below is of finished wires.

Unscrew the cap from the bottom of outlet. Put a bead of silicone on top side and underside of outlet where it meets the ram air cover. Screw the cap back on.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Lift tank on bike and prop it up. Position the ram air covers and run the wires as close to the stock wiring harness as you can. (left side is pictured below. outlet wires are the red and black wires 'looped' around the stock wiring.)

right side wiring below

Unscrew the screw holding the ground side of the stock battery cable to the negative battery post. Stick the screw through the ring connector you soldered to the ground wire and through the stock battery cable ring connector and screw them back down onto the battery post. Do the same for the positive (hot) wire side. Tuck wires, bolt the tank back down, screw the ram air covers back in, and then you're done.

Sorry for lack of pics for battery connections, but it's pretty self-explanatory. Ground (black) to ground (negative), and hot (red) to positive side of battery.

****UPDATED PHOTOS BELOW***** (Scroll down)

Last edited by DarkF4i; 08-11-2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: updated photos
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:45 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkF4i
Cut the hot wire to the length you marked (save the excess). Solder the inline blade type fuse holder to the hot (red) wire. Install a 15 amp blade type fuse. Crimp and solder a ring connector on the end of fuse holder

If you want to go Pro with this, you could add Heatshrink Tubing to the list of materials, and use almost any heatsource. Before you make the connection on the wires, slide a piece of tubing over one loose end, make the connection, do the solder, then slide the tubing over the connection, add heat, and it will seal up over the exposed wires. This eliminates the need for electrical tape, which we all know gets really nasty in hot conditions. Nice job though doing the HOW TO.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Done (**UPDATED PHOTOS**):

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb21cj
If you want to go Pro with this, you could add Heatshrink Tubing to the list of materials, and use almost any heatsource...
Yeah, while I was playing with the solder, I was thinking "Man, heat shrink would be MONEY right now!!". I didn't have any laying around (I do now). But, electrical tape is holding up fine.

I'm thinking I'll add a relay to each outlet so that they only work when the KEY is turned to the ON position. I'll probably run the relay through the tail light wiring since the tail light turns on when Key is at the "ON" position.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:42 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Those pics are much better. Now all you need is the stereo and mini fridge. That is pretty handy though, good job!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

stereo....check.

I just picked up an XM Radio (Roady2 for $50 at Best Buy). XM Radio is the BOMMMMMB!!!! My iPod is good for playlists, but I only have about 10-15 hours worth of music that I really actually listen to (my 15GB iPod is loaded with about 14GB of tunes.) Been listening to the SAME stuff over and over....gets old. Kind of annoying that in a 3-4 hour playlist, I know what the next song is gonna be (that's how much I listen to my iPod, currently I have 3 different 4-hour playlists in rotation)

as for the mini-fridge...you gotta draw the line somewhere...

Even though motorcycling is an inherently 'minimalist' activity, it never hurts to have a few creature comforts, and music is something I can't live without (especially on LONG road trips, which I'll be doing for the next month or so).
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:32 PM
From back in da' day

awesome step by step man!!

2006 CBR1000RR, 2004 R1, 2009 GSXR600, 2008 R6R & 84 Z50R! Hey they're paid for!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Knuckle Dragger

Just getting ready to do the same mod on the bandit. got a question though...

On the power outlet, which wire is + and which is -? That is, is the center contact positive or is it the contact on the side of the outlet? youcan fry your toys if you get em reversed.

Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in