my bike won't start - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my bike won't start

96 cbr F3 - took a 15 min ride after i put on sprockets + chain. its shut off at the light - turn it back on got another 10 mins turn off and when i got out to start it would start then when i open throttle its shut off did it about 5 times until its won't even start . then now its won't even turn over, its cranks .
i checked and did the following:
spark plugs + cleaned.
recently did oil change + filter.
-100 miles on new cleaned carbs.
the RR is still working.
my charing system still good cause i tried to start it about. 20+ times the battery doesn't seem like its low on juice.
tried to start with a battery charger on, still doesn't start.
tried to start with the choke on and adjusting the idle lvl up
no fuses blow, including the 30A main fuse.
tried to started with the kick stand up and with the clutch in , and in 1st gear.
tried to start with the gas tank + air box off.
the light dims every time i tried to start but won't turn.over. any ideas? the gas in the tank is only 2.5 weeks old its still smell strong.

what i did before this happen? nothing its just sitting there 2 weeks waiting for sprockets +chain to replace. before taht its was running fine. could this be electrical problem?

Last edited by CBER; 08-04-2004 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:34 AM
#1 Gear Nazi

F3's are NOTORIOUS for having weak regulator rectifiers, when I had my F3 I went through 2 of them. That will keep the bike from holding any kind of charge so it won't start. Does the engine crank at all?

Have you tried push starting it yet? Does that work?

edit: nevermind just read that you said "RR still works"....how did you test it?

If you want me to "find Jesus" I'm gonna need a shovel and a map - [I]Me[/I] :lol
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

i crank about 20 time - and holding start button. means i have juice - if the RR went out its should start the bike like normal until i ride out all the juice in the battery since the RR isn't recharging it -and i had came across with messed up RR before , like after few tries the battery would just clicks (turn out just wiring problem)- this just die all the sudent not like out of gas die just die when i open the thottle a bit- then won't start again. maybe fuel line jammed? fule filter? i might have to drain the gas out and clean the fuel filter again if nothing come up. BTW this bike doesn't have fuel injection so its can't be that either.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Midnight Rider

i mean no insult when i say this, but possibly your fuel cut off switch is isn't in the on position? and does it run when you push start it? also, sometimes there is enough power in the battery to crank it over, but not enough to start. maybe you can try to jump it, but it does seem like your battery isn't the issue. if you know how, check the carbs, you might have flooded them trying to start it before.

if you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:07 PM
#1 Gear Nazi

Try bump-starting it for sure, see if it starts and let us know.

If you want me to "find Jesus" I'm gonna need a shovel and a map - [I]Me[/I] :lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 03:52 AM
SBN Newb

did u take the tank off when you did your sprockets and stuff? there are a couple fuel tank ventlines under the tank, if one of those gets pinched, gas will not flow from the tank = no start after the bowls dry up. It happened to me...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Definately sounds like fuel delivery problem to me...Id suggest you check the obvious like fuel cutoff switch,fuel pump relay/fuse then finally the fuel pump itself...good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

i did flood ending starting procedure its work! i was so excited i took it for a ride at 5 am in the morning - so guess what same *** happened again after 20 mins of riding, this time the bike would even turn over , the light just dim (no engine sound trying to turn over)whenever i trie to start. so i tried that flood engine starting procedure again and its run like normal, until another 15 mins , its did it again, so i do the starting procedure again and revs the *** out of it. and its run normal. any ideas what could cause this. lucky me i thought i was about to stuck 20 miles from home at 6 am. yes the fuel was on ON - and then i check the fuel filter. check the line. nothing going on. i gota chek the fuel pump like bajjer9 said.- its like i have to wait for the fule to come in. then its run all of it off then shut down and repeats. sorry about my english

Last edited by CBER; 08-06-2004 at 08:21 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

yep all this is pointing to my fuel pump- anyone know how to check it if its good or not - i found a new used working one on ebay -
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:02 PM

a little information for those experiencing this same problem. After i spent four 12hr days tryin to solve this puzzle i gave up and took it to the dealer for the fourth time. This time they said it would be free.3 days laters these honda people call me. The solution is not always the reg/rect battery or stator as you would expect.10% was a burned plug on the stator.The other 90% was the fact the fan had gone bad and was pulling 29 amps versus 15 like it should therefore the stator could not keep up with the demand at idle speeds.I hope this info saves someone else the headache and suicidal thoughts i have experienced over the past 2 mnths tryin to fix my bike to get back on the road.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 PM
second chimp in space

What flood ending procedure did you use? Take the plugs out, crank, let it air out? Full throttle while cranking?

Another thing could be water in the system. It's heavier than gas so it's the first thing going into the carbs. Your description sounds like my bike when it happened to me, except I had so much water that nothing helped. Try draining the carbs and putting a fresh tank of gas in. Dump all the old gas. Also look at the stuff comming out the carb to make sure it's just gas, and doesn't have any dropplets in it. I say this because your bike has been sitting outside for 2 weeks and might have a leaky gas cap like my bike does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in