Won't start just clicks, but I can push start. Jumping relay doesn't start it. - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Won't start just clicks, but I can push start. Jumping relay doesn't start it.

I left my bike sitting a bit over a month (in a rather dusty area).

I come back, try to start it immediately and it WANTS to start but doesn't quite turn over.
After a few tries it does nothing and just clicks.

I charge my battery (not quite all the way) and try again, nothing, just a click. I try jumping with a car, nothing, just clicks.

Eventually I decide to push start it, and that works. And if I jump the starter relay, it WANTS to turn over like in the beginning, but doesn't quite make it.

Any idea where to go from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Umbrella Girl

Dead battery...it no longer is capable of holding a charge! Get a new battery! Oh and I wouldn't push start it too much, that puts too much load on your charging system which turn will cause it to fail over time!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

If the battery was dead wouldn't it start with a car jump start?

And if the battery were dead, wouldn't it not even attempt to turn over when I jump the starter relay?

Precisely the same problems persist when the battery is hooked up to a plugged-in starter/charger.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I would say its a bad battery . If a battery is bad enough hooking a car up wont work unless you take the leads off the bad bettery as the bad battery sucks away the charge from the car . You starter relay has no charge of its own and only works if the battery is good . A charger does not deliver the CCA to start an engine .
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Umbrella Girl

If you force the system to go off battery power it will act as if the battery is what's providing power(if that's understandable) if the batt has some juice in it it would use that to attempt to start but not have enough to actually start it. If it were the reg/rect it would start even on push starting as you wouldn't have a spark(can't ignite the fuel/air charge without a spark). You can also have a weakened or failing charging system but based on the info you gave I'm leaning towards battery. You left it sitting for a month, which tells me(especially if you have anything hard wired to the battery like an alarm aftermarket or factory) that the battery has drained bellow a healthy recoverable amperage. Even if you don't have any hard wired loads on the battery other things like weather or extremes in temp(hot or cold) extremes in humidity are all culprits of draining a battery and quickly if you let it sit without allowing the reg/rect do its job or at least charge it every week or so or tend it

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Okay, I'm more or less convinced.

Two things...

I hooked it up to charger that specifically has a cranking amps switch. When that's turned on, my junction box makes a very loud click but that's all it does.

And would I be able to connect it (motorcycle without motorcycle batter) directly to a car battery, could I try starting it that way?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Umbrella Girl

That sound is the starter mother trying to kick on and yes in theory you should be able to do that but I wouldn't turn on the car and also consider that the amperage coming from a car battery is different from what is required for the bike

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Umbrella Girl

Worst case is that your reg/rect is failing but based on the fact that you can push start it and it doesn't shut off immediately tells me it at least has some life in it unlike the batt! The bike is running you in theory should be able to disconnect the battery and the bike should continue running I've tested this theory with positive results

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
the joke is in your hand

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

the battery is dead. don't bother wasting your time wondering about it, I've seen enough dead batteries in cars etc that I feel 100% telling you to buy a new one.

sometimes there's enough juice in the battery to jump start. but not always. sometimes batteries die because of the battery itself not just from running out of a charge.
cells go bad, they sulfate, they short out, on and on. if any of those scenarios has happened it wont take a charge, it wont hold a charge. a good jumper box will be able to jump it if you have access to one.
we bit the bullet and bought a jumper box for several hundred bucks. just because we needed to use one so many times at the car lot I worked at with my buddy.
I've seen more dead batteries than I have dollar bills.

Last edited by serpentracer; 10-11-2012 at 08:13 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Garage
You could always start simple (and free) check the cable connections for corrosion or looseness...the ground to the engine and the cable from the starter relay to the starter. If jumping the starter relay makes no difference (even with a car battery hooked up to jump your questionable battery) then you have effectively eliminated the starter button, ignition switch and kill button or any wiring before that relay.
Fully charge that battery, since you state you never did fully charge it. But a battery for a 250 ninja is what $40? and considering your bike listed is a 2006, if it is the original battery you more than got your monies worth out of it already...What is the resting voltage of the battery right now? (not on a charger for the past ~atleast ~ several hours, prefferably day) If fully charged then rested for several hours it isn't sitting at atleast 12.8V-it is less than 75% charged---or it is as Serpentracer said sulfated, dead cell, etc and not worth bothering with, especially for the cost of a new battery.
But you sometimes can "recover" a battery with a 25v hard charge for a limited amount of time (this could be 5 minutes-it could be 20 minutes), then do a standard charge of 1amp per hour for 4-8 hours depending on size of battery (I assume yours is 8amp?)--

Who needs banning today?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Umbrella Girl

i know i had that happen on my bike, it would start to turn over and then stop and wouldn't turn over anymore. If you keep thumbing the starter (letting off and back on) my bike starts. only happens when it sits for more then 2 weeks. maybe something to try.

2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Stock for now.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

I've read everything in the thread and applied it, but still I'm stuck.

I've gotten a new battery, it measures 12.88 volts, and still the junction box clicks with doing absolutely nothing else.
I even tried it by connecting it straight to a new car battery.

When I jump the relay, it tries to start, but doesn't quite get there.

I checked many (perhaps not all) connections for corrosion. I found some on the spark plugs and cleaned that up.

It still push starts fine.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Umbrella Girl

Then the issue is the starter motor itself from the sounds of it

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 PM
500 G.P. Champion

or starter relay has fried from the ferking around with car batterys and the like .
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentialshift View Post
or starter relay has fried from the ferking around with car batterys and the like .
That was my first thought when I attempted to jump it with the car, but that doesn't explain why it doesn't work when jumping.

Any recommendations on how to check the starter motor before I google fu it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in