triumph daytona been settin for 9 months - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrens View Post
I forgot to add that it has 7232 original miles on it.. Probably going tomorrow to get it. Then im going to dump gas. change coolant and oil and throw a fresh battery on it. Any pointers to do all of that?

WHit
Yeah- you need a 4mm allen to get the tank cover off, as well as to disconnect the tail section from the tank.

You need a 10mm wrench to get the seat off to get to the battery. Or 5mm allen depending on the year.

Then you need a 10mm wrench and socket and a 6mm allen to get the tank off. Not sure where you're gonna put the bad gas.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE FUEL FITTINGS. They are quick-connect kinda like air hose fittings, but they get VERY brittle. Most likely you'll break one. It's a pain.

Second thought- use a $3 wal mart siphon pump to get the old gas out. Much faster/less risk.

Wait until you get home to change the oil. Do it while it's hot. Taking the belly pan off to get to the filter is not too bad, though. A couple 5mm allen bolts and then Dzus fasteners.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Superbike Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

you might want to get some seafoam flowing through there when you fire it up. and make sure you get all that old gas out of the tank.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM
second chimp in space

Lube the chain up before you leave, too. Everything else can be done at home at your leisure.

a couple hard stops will clear the rust off the brakes for you.

off course it won't start if the guy still has the old gas in it. It sounds like the reason for it sitting/being sold is true, and something non-bike related like that leads to a good deal because the only things wrong with the bike is just from sitting.

BTW, advice on getting an old bike: get it running and only fix safety issues (doesn't sound like there are any on this thing unless the tires are old). Then ride a minimum of 200 miles before you do anything else. Some things that appear to be a problem will fix themselves in that time.

don't listen to that article, it itself says that these things aren't an issue anymore.

That single-sided swingarm is great. You can adjust the chain without loosening the big axle bolt, just a small pinch bolt. Then use the provided tool to adjust chain, and tighten bolt. Much quicker than the dual-sided adjustment and you don't have to worry about misalignment. Taking the rear wheel off to change a tire is a snap, too. Just one nut, though on my Sprint you also have to take off the silencer (2 more easy bolts). The 46mm socket being trouble is total bullshit, you have to buy a large socket for any bike if you want to take the wheel off. Same with a torque wrench. The difference is that here you can adjust the chain without touching the big nut, unlike on a dual-sided swingarm.

boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse

Last edited by enos; 03-03-2010 at 01:44 AM.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Palm City Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrens View Post
I forgot to add that it has 7232 original miles on it.. Probably going tomorrow to get it. Then im going to dump gas. change coolant and oil and throw a fresh battery on it. Any pointers to do all of that?

WHit
After you get it running try to sell it to one of these clowns saying how good a bike it is. Make a few bucks.

[CENTER]If it wasn't for us Rednecks and N.A.S.C.A.R. there's no telling what flag or bible we would be saluting and praying to.[/CENTER]
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Superbike Champion

come on you sound like a truimph hater. lol there are alot of factors, i don't doubt that they probably had problems all bikes do eventually until manufacturers work the kinks out but i think a more important role is like someone else said. is where it came from. if they were full of recalls and faults at one plant doesn't necessary mean they all did. im talking about different countries. look at toyota for example all ours over here are messed up but not the non us ones. all im saying is you really never no for sure until you have it.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport-ryder View Post
come on you sound like a truimph hater. lol there are alot of factors, i don't doubt that they probably had problems all bikes do eventually until manufacturers work the kinks out but i think a more important role is like someone else said. is where it came from. if they were full of recalls and faults at one plant doesn't necessary mean they all did. im talking about different countries. look at toyota for example all ours over here are messed up but not the non us ones. all im saying is you really never no for sure until you have it.
Read his other posts around here. If it isn't a Honda, he's hating on it.

[QUOTE=FZSix828;3778466]btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?[/QUOTE] :beer
Where the bike has taken me...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OrangeJulio on xbl:banana
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Palm City Nice Guy

Quote:
I don't hate any bikes, go back a page or two at the review for that bike, he asked, I remembered it had many problems and gave him the info on it, I'm not going to sugar coat anything specially for a newer rider.

[CENTER]If it wasn't for us Rednecks and N.A.S.C.A.R. there's no telling what flag or bible we would be saluting and praying to.[/CENTER]
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Superbike Racer

And before you even posted that article you refered to it at Euro trash. There have been many more people with positive experiences with similar Triumphs.

[QUOTE=FZSix828;3778466]btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?[/QUOTE] :beer

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Palm City Nice Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy8771 View Post
And before you even posted that article you refered to it at Euro trash. There have been many more people with positive experiences with similar Triumphs.
TRUE, And they all gave their opinions, I gave facts and posted the link so he could make his own informed decision. The bike had alot of problems and I don't recommend it for a first and only bike, it would be a cool project to tinker with as a 2nd bike for someone that likes that sort of thing.

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Superbike Racer

I see your point. I just took your original comments as just malicious towards the bike and I understand what you're saying now. Back on topic now.

post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Superbike Champion

you have to keep in mind to if hes a new rider he is eager to grab the first bike that he sees and likes. think back to your first bike, we were all there we saw it and there was no hesitation, we were pulling the money out of our pocket before we even new the year. lol
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4mtw View Post
TRUE, And they all gave their opinions, I gave facts and posted the link so he could make his own informed decision. The bike had alot of problems and I don't recommend it for a first and only bike, it would be a cool project to tinker with as a 2nd bike for someone that likes that sort of thing.
What do you wanna bet that you can find an article discussing the faults of ANY bike ever made?

That article is REALLY old, and like I said- it talks about the EUROPEAN model T595, not the US one. There were never any recalls in the US that I am aware of.

You came off as bashing the bike. Just fucking ADMIT it already- you don't like European bikes. You have bashed Euro bikes in almost every Euro-bike-related thread that I have read in the last week.

It doesn't bother me that you don't LIKE them- you just try to bash them without even knowing what you are talking about.

Also- Honda's suck. I'd rather never ride again than ever own one. Just my opinion.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Palm City Nice Guy

Quote:
you have to keep in mind to if hes a new rider he is eager to grab the first bike that he sees and likes. think back to your first bike, we were all there we saw it and there was no hesitation, we were pulling the money out of our pocket before we even new the year. lol
I understand Love at First Sight. This bike would be a big hit at bikenite's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in