Neutral light stays on...? - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Neutral light stays on...?

Hey, I asked this question in a reply so I thought I would post it up in a new thread...

I changed my front & rear sprockets and chain today. Everything went pretty good but when I went to take it out for a test ride the neutral light stayed on. Even when going for a nice little ride... through every gear, the light was still on.

Also, the kill switch for the Kickstand isn't working. I didn't mess with any of the wiring when I changed the sprockets & chain. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 PM
500 G.P. Champion

You might not of messed with it but I'd check the wiring for the kill switch and neutral light. Side stand switches tend to get full of road grime and chain lube (depending on the individual design of the bike). Probally worth giving the area a general clean and scrub although if the bike thinks its in neutral all the time (through the neutral light) it won't kill the engine when you put the sidestand down.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Speed Racer

Neutral lights are normally inside the engine/tranny cases. The wires are exposed...could you have bumped some wires or a connector pulled off?

The kill switch for the kickstand will not work if the switch thinks the bike is in neutral.

You have one problem. Its with the neutral light sensor/connectors.

Ron Paul supports the John Birch Society
Video of RP talking at the JBS 50th anniversary.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advocating personal responsibility and less government for decades, with no political affiliation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I know that there was a lot of lube on the chain I put on. I'll give it a good clean. We check the wires, moved them around, but nothing.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
old member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does the neutral switch wiring come out of the transmission around the front sprocket cover?

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
World 500 GP Racer

If you pinched the neutral switch wire, it may be grounded out, giving a false neutral signal. Look for pinched wires.

'09 KLR 650, '86 Gold Wing, '84 VF700R Interceptor, '81 Dnepr, '79 KZ1000
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

RAYOSV... Yep it does come out of the tranny and around the front sprocket cover. What is the best stuff to clean that area and the sidestand switch with?

I'm going to check for some pinched wires too. I have been looking around in there all day and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Obviously I did something, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for all the advice. It brought a lot of stuff to light that I would have never thought of.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLDZX7R View Post
RAYOSV... Yep it does come out of the tranny and around the front sprocket cover. What is the best stuff to clean that area and the sidestand switch with?

I'm going to check for some pinched wires too. I have been looking around in there all day and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Obviously I did something, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for all the advice. It brought a lot of stuff to light that I would have never thought of.
I had to pull the starter from my KZ to fish out a bolt I dropped , when I replaced everything and went to start the bike, the oil light stayed on constantly. Oil level was fine, and it started this right after I did the starter. Turned out I had pinched the oil pressure light wire between the starter - had to pull the starter again, move the wire, tape it up, then all was well.

'09 KLR 650, '86 Gold Wing, '84 VF700R Interceptor, '81 Dnepr, '79 KZ1000
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
old member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Not sure exactly how your bike is wired, but since this is a safety switch (neutral detect), it should be fail-safe. That means if the wire is open, it will never sense neutral. However, if shorted to ground (like pinched to the engine case), it would always detect neutral. As tuffguy said, if the neutral sensor is always detecting neutral, the side stand switch doesn't matter. I'd definitely look for a pinched neutral sensor wire and forget about the side stand switch for now. Fixing neutral will likely make the side stand switch work as it should again.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Great, whenever I actually get a day off I'll check that out! Thanks. Any help is always appreciated. Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in