bike won't go into 1st gear - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

bike won't go into 1st gear

hey guys. i have a little problem with my 01 gsxr 600. sometimes when i'm stopped at a light, the bike won't go into 1st gear after stopping. i keep pushing it down but it won't budge. it doesn't always happen but whenever it happens, it makes me panic. the bike was dropped once and caused the left footpeg by the gear shifter to bend and twist a little bit. could the problem be caused by the fall? i dunno what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 PM
~ Master Technician ~

Your linkage might be binding up and preventing it from moving correctly. Each time you push down, it should go to the next lower gear and then the lever should return to the middle position. Is the shift lever returning?

Currently riding a '05 GSXR 1000 ~ Full Tit. Akrapovic, PowerCommander, Schnitz Racing Custom map = 166horse. Suspension by Thermosman Suspension ~ Ohlins internals on forks, Hyperco rear spring
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need a better riding position? Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. They are great!
Past bikes: '82 Yamaha Maxim 750, '89 Kaw. ZX7, '94 Kaw. ZX9R, '01 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Kaw. EX-250 ~ over 18 years & 120,000miles of riding experience.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
World 500 GP Racer

If the linkage was bad, he would have problems downshifting into any gear. Examine your linkage anyway.

Also, try slipping the clutch a little bit to move the countershaft and see if that helps you put it into gear.

This thought is all I have to trust upon, when light is gone.

The words between the lines, The worst of the best, The dust on the pews, Nihil!

Leave dependence to drones. Lies to the harvest for the truth to be sown.

Pain, necessary to know.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

the shift lever does return but it just won't go into first gear sometimes. had the problem again yesterday at a light when i tried to put it into first gear from 2nd so i had to start off in 2nd gear. what is the linkage? i am a noob.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Sidehacker Extraordinaire

It's a normal problem caused by coasting to the light with the clutch in and shifting down through several gears. It's because of the design of motorcycle transmissions. You should go downshift-release clutch-downshift-release clutch-downshift release clutch until you get to first gear, while still rolling, and the clutch released. Hold the clutch in only when you're coming to a stop or are sitting at the light.

2004 Yamaha FZ6 "Dagmar Aaen"

19?? Dnepr MT-11
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
World 500 GP Racer

It's very possible to line up the gears on the countershaft in a manner that the dogs on the sliding gears can't engage each other. You need to roll the bike forwards or backwards to spin the countershaft.

This thought is all I have to trust upon, when light is gone.

The words between the lines, The worst of the best, The dust on the pews, Nihil!

Leave dependence to drones. Lies to the harvest for the truth to be sown.

Pain, necessary to know.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

oh...i do sometimes keep rolling with the clutch in...i guess that's causing that problem......thanx a lot guys
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Making Horizons Vertical

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcoma
It's a normal problem caused by coasting to the light with the clutch in and shifting down through several gears. It's because of the design of motorcycle transmissions. You should go downshift-release clutch-downshift-release clutch-downshift release clutch until you get to first gear, while still rolling, and the clutch released. Hold the clutch in only when you're coming to a stop or are sitting at the light.
Ya.. Since I started doing that, I never had an issue clicking into first..

Let us know how it works out for you..

Weekend Car - 2003 Honda S2000 - Black
Daily Driver - 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo - Black
Sportbike/Cruiser/Enduro - 2013 Ducati Multistrada - Red
Beater - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM

My bike does this too, its most definatly a noob thing from not hitting every gear when downshifting. I found theres two ways to fix it if it wont downshift.

Let out the clutch in. gear and let the bike stall, start it then downshift (this option should be avoided)

you can roll the bike back and forth in neutral like someone stated. Or I like to release the clutch then grab it all the way again and then it will usually shift to first.

haha thats three ways
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

i'll try that rolling back and forth one if it happens again. sometimes it gets stuck in 2nd gear and i usually just start out in 2nd just cuz i don't wanna let the clutch out and stall the engine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Just learn to downshift correctly...practice at every intersection / stoplight where you have plenty of time to stop. I'd forgotten how many things I knew about riding, until I started riding again...I rarely have to use much brake at all when I've got fair warning at a stop light... I simply go down through the gears, and right before I stop, I've got the clutch disengaged, with the bike in first.....

Chris

I thought I Was wrong once...but I was mistaken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in