Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Batt not charging and headlights out
Bike: 1998 GSXR1100
Ok, so, this is my first GSRX although I have had a few bikes already and the first day I actually had it out I dropped it in a parking spot. I was just starting it up after leaving a store but I left it in 1st and it jumped ahead and fell on the left side. Nothing visible broke and it started up right away after I stood it back up and it seemed to run fine for most of the way home. After I was riding for about 5 minutes it started to be a little hesitant and not consistant in the throttle and as I got closer to home it got worse and worse. I made it home safely and let it sit for awhile while I was looking it over and when I tried to start it again about 10 minutes later there wasn't enough in the battery to turn it over just solenoid clicks but it will start with a boost. Also noticed that my headlights were not working hi or lo
- will start when boosted but can only drive short distances and still hesitant.
- voltage in the battery is good after charging and tests good on a load test battery tester and will start the bike right up but will slowly drain when bike is in use.
- voltage drop across the battery terminals occurs when cranking the engine and does not increase after the engine is running (not charging)
- there are 2 lines coming from the generator red and brown, the red has constant 12v when the battery is in and the brown has 12v when ignition is on and nothing when ignition is off.
- I pulled the generator and was about to test resistances but found out that I would have to unsolder a few connections and my little soldering iron just wouldn't do it, I will have to get this tested.
- the headlight plugs have power when tested with a volt meter but the lights will not come on, they work when tested with wires and a battery, but the power in the headlight plugs drops to nothing as soon as the lights are plugged into it which makes me think that maybe something is shorting to ground.
Sorry for the long post but I'm looking for possible ideas to what might cause this before I bring it to my mechanic.