2006 Katana carb troubles - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2006 Katana carb troubles

PLEASE help! I bought my '06 Katana in July '06, got the extended warranty and everything. Have had to have two carb cleans done on it because it was running on three cylinders. Just got it back from having the 2nd carb clean done and now it's only running on TWO!!! (It only has 1,000 miles on it and I stored it at their shop over the winter). The shop told me it's not safe to drive it and tried to tell me I was gonna have to have it towed there. I pitched a fit and they are now going to pay to have it towed there. I don't want them to do another carb clean, it obviously is not fixing the problem! Suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 09:03 AM
ONEFASMOFUCKA

Are they doing one carb at a time? Is this a dealer? How long has it been stored?

If they havent performed the job right the first two times give it back to them and demand they fix it properly. If you take it to another shop they are not gong to warranty someone elses work. Before you take delivery of the bike when its repaired make sure it runs properly. Go take a short ride on it at that time you'll beable to make a better conclusion. Also a good way to tell if its running on all fours if your unable to do it with your ear is taking a good amount of spit and applying it on each exhaust pipe right next to the engine.
After running the bike for around 2min, when the "spit" burns off youll know its firing, move on to the next one. If the bike is really warm it'll burn right off. Quicker burn off better ignition, slower burn from the spit will mean its weak,get it?

They may also have missed the o rings under the top cover of the carbs where the spring for the slide is located, or another common thing is to forget to reattach a vacum hose.

Also the best way Iv found to clean a carburator is to dip it in a solution. The stuff is very strong and you have to remove every possible piece from the carbs. When you use that stuff though you can be assured its completly clean.

"The only thing limiting your bike is you"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

It is a dealer and I bought the bike in July 2006 and I stored it with the same dealer from Oct 2006 to March 2007. They HAVE done all the work, I haven't let anyone else touch it for the very reasons you list.
All three times I picked it up from them, it ran fine for a nice ride. After sitting in my garage for a couple days, I'd take it out again and it would have these problems that I list. I did the water bottle test that you mention and that's how I knew the first two times it was running on three cylinders and the last time, it was running on TWO.
This last time, I insisted that they note on the work order that all the carbs were cleaned and that they checked that all spark plugs were firing. Ironincally enough, they replaced all the spark plugs and didn't charge me. (Feeling guilty?) They said it was bad gas this time (so it wasn't the same problem three times in a row, so I couldn't file a lemon lawsuit).
The thing that really pisses me off is that they noted on the work order that I need to ride it more and not let it sit (how the *&%$ do they know how often I ride??). They also had the nerve to note that I will have to pay for any work from now on, "no free-bies". Are you kidding me? Not only is the bike still under warranty but I bought the extended warranty so why would I pay for ANY work done on a brand new bike bought from THEM that is not operational??? ARRGGHH

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:19 PM
SBN Rookie

Question 2006 Katana carb troubles

I also have a 2006-Katana 750 with only 980 miles on it that the four carburator is not passing gas to the piston. I can spray starting fluid into it and then it fires up, checked the cup and it has gas in it, but for some reason is not passing the gas to the piston. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Send to [email protected]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Hey gcaban:
After the dealer's three carb cleans (no charge to me), I finally called a friend who used to be a Harley mechanic. He said to have them change the spark plugs. I told the dealer this, they checked the carbs and said they were clean. They drained the gas and tried to say it was bad gas (my boyfriend and I both fill up at the same gas pump, he has the exact same bike and his runs fine). I told them it was not bad gas and that I wanted to spark plugs changed out. They did that (no charge to me) and the bike has run fine ever since.
Pam
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Superbike Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My last bike was a 06 Katana 600, it never gave me any problems. It had just over 7,900 miles when I traded her in. They are usually very reliable machines, hope they start to perform better for you. Oh and welcome to SBN!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in