Speedometer not working, sensor? - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Speedometer not working, sensor?

Ok so here's what i got...

Tuesday of last week, speedo stopped working, first could reset by turning off ignition and would work for a little bit, then quit all together. Was in lansing, so on friday I rode the bike back to my parents house to work on it..

Speedometer started working about 20 miles from home, tore bike apart last night anyway to check wiring, everything seemed fine, so went out for a ride late last night and it quit about 2 miles from parents house.

This morning here is what i have...

+12v power from battery to speedometer (checked at bottom side of vss (vehicle speed sensor) connector (black = +12v, green = ground, pink = signal)

I have a constant +5v signal from the pink wire to ground(back side of the vss connector) and i have continuity all the way up to the dash in the pink wire, so I know it's all connected.

There is no short to ground from pink wire to green, and the signal voltage (+5v) never drops to zero like it's supposed to. SO i think I need a new sensor.

Question: Does the gauge cluster emit the +5v which is then pulled to ground at the sensor (what i have is steady +5v) or should the constant voltage be 0v and then a 5v pulse is generated by the sensor??? (Me thinks not?)

Also, if I rotate tire I do not get a +5v pulse to 0v like i did last night, it's just a constant +5v....

so what i'm thinking is I need a new sensor, which is about 60 bucks from ron ayers... anyone with any advice is welcome...

Discuss.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 02:05 PM
xxxFast Glass

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Does the speedometer and odometer quit working at the same time? That would indicate either wiring, or the speed sensor.
If its just the speedometer, then that is whats faulty.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:22 PM
World 500 GP Racer

On my VFR the speedo quit working when the voltage regulator went south. It seems that the speedo requires a certain amount of voltage to make it work. You may want to check the charging voltage, should be 14.5V at 5K rpm.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

both speedo and odo quit working together, which is nice and all but i really wanna know how fast I'm going ...

The signal voltage appears to be +5V and 0v in a square pulse wave... and right now it seems that the sensor is stuck sending +5V constantly, instead of pulsing to 0...

What I'm really asking is does the cluster send out the +5V and the sensor pulls it to ground, or does the sensor send a +5V pulse to the cluster... in other words, does the cluster sit dormant low or high, and is the pulse transmitted low or high, (negative or positive logic)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM
SBN Rookie

Hey wassup man i have a 2007 cbr 600rr. my speedometer and my odometer arent working the mph stay on zero and the odometer doesnt count the miles.. im also asuming that its the speed sensor... my question was.. would you know the part # for that? Because the dealer is trying to charge me 150 for it
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodamninsane View Post
Ok so here's what i got...

Tuesday of last week, speedo stopped working, first could reset by turning off ignition and would work for a little bit, then quit all together. Was in lansing, so on friday I rode the bike back to my parents house to work on it..

Speedometer started working about 20 miles from home, tore bike apart last night anyway to check wiring, everything seemed fine, so went out for a ride late last night and it quit about 2 miles from parents house.

This morning here is what i have...

+12v power from battery to speedometer (checked at bottom side of vss (vehicle speed sensor) connector (black = +12v, green = ground, pink = signal)

I have a constant +5v signal from the pink wire to ground(back side of the vss connector) and i have continuity all the way up to the dash in the pink wire, so I know it's all connected.

There is no short to ground from pink wire to green, and the signal voltage (+5v) never drops to zero like it's supposed to. SO i think I need a new sensor.

Question: Does the gauge cluster emit the +5v which is then pulled to ground at the sensor (what i have is steady +5v) or should the constant voltage be 0v and then a 5v pulse is generated by the sensor??? (Me thinks not?)

Also, if I rotate tire I do not get a +5v pulse to 0v like i did last night, it's just a constant +5v....

so what i'm thinking is I need a new sensor, which is about 60 bucks from ron ayers... anyone with any advice is welcome...

Discuss.....

Ok here is what is happening.

Hall effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are getting a steady 5VDC its most likely being generated by the gauge. Since you have ruled out short and a open its safe to assume that the the circuit hasn't been compromised.

There are a lot of way to use hall effect, but the sensor would be the next thing I would check. The sensors are known to fail periodically. They are usually fairly cheap.

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
~Random Interweb Dude whom I very much want to buy a beer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Turbo nerd.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzcbr View Post
Hey wassup man i have a 2007 cbr 600rr. my speedometer and my odometer arent working the mph stay on zero and the odometer doesnt count the miles.. im also asuming that its the speed sensor... my question was.. would you know the part # for that? Because the dealer is trying to charge me 150 for it
Wait till you see where its mounted

Quote:
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
If you are getting a steady 5VDC its most likely being generated by the gauge.
The electrical systems in the newer injected/computer controlled bike are using a 5v reference for all sensors. So if you have 5v at the wire to the sensor, it's more than likely the sensor not sending the proper information. Tripped is right about the hall effect sensors occasionally failing. You may have to bite the bullet and pay for that sensor. PS: Have fun installing it too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
second chimp in space

^^ The original thread is 3 years old. New guy resurrected it instead of starting a new one.

Quote:

boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Turbo nerd.

Garage
damn

I've been necroed!

oh NOES!

Quote:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:02 PM
SBN Newb

2006 CBR 600rr Speed sensor

Quote:
Hey Whats up, I had the same problem on my 2006 CBR 600RR. I made the mistake of buying a used sensor and just my luck it did not work. I bought one From BikeBandit.com for about $70.00 and installed it myself. (twice). Part number is 642482 (37700-mel-000). Its possible to install it without taking off the gas tank. Its a painful and slow proses but its probably easier than taking off the gas tank. The sensor is held by a 10MM bolt, so get a small ratchet and a 10mm socket. It was hard to break the seal at 1st but once I manage to break it (used a small cheater bar) I was able to remove with my fingers. I recommend removing the plug 1st. the space is very tight. Just above the shifting bar. (its like trying to finger a fat girl without unzipping her pants.) Its very tight to remove but it is possible. Just need some patience. The 1st time I did it, it took me 2 hours. the 2nd time I did it in about 45 minutes and that was with the help of my 2 year old that wanted to help. Good luck with it. I hope this helps. The p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1454.jpg
Views:	31850
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	220057  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
SBN Newb

Sorry, I also have a problem with my Triumph Daytona 600. Can any one help me with this following problem. Im riding my bike as usual but when I shut it off and try to start it back again It wont start. I have to let cool down in order for it to start back again. can any one tell me please what is causing this trouble with my bike and what I can do to fix it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in