Hep with Ninja fuel line routing - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hep with Ninja fuel line routing

Hello all,
I am in the process of working through a 1986 Ninja ZX6R that has been out of service for about 3 years. The previous owner routed a fuel line from the petcock to an on off fuel valve for what I am assuming was a leaky petcock. The problem that I am having is determining which line goes where. I have all the vacuum lines in place but I do not know where the fuel line should be routed. I have attached photos in hopes that someone will have this info. The petcock has 2 ports, the tank has a port that is on the bottom and has an electrical pigtail for the fuel gauge. I have also located a port on the top of the tank that sits below the left side of the seat and another below the airbox. Any help with this would be appreciated! Noel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0543.JPG
Views:	5411
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	117505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.JPG
Views:	2369
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	117506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 PM
second chimp in space

The one by the seat is a drain. If this is anything like the '87 750 I had then if you look inside you'll see this tube going up through the tank up to the cap, where there is a hole for gas to go down if you happen to overfill. Usually there's a hose here that goes down to around the pegs somewhere along with a few other drains.

On the petcock, the big one is fuel (bottom on your pic i think), and the small one is vacuum (left on the pic). The vacuum connects to a nipple on the front top of one of the carbs (probably #2). If all your carbs have a nipple (like the 750 did) then take your pick. The vacuum from the engine opens the petcock (there's a diaphragm in there, could be broken or dirty if the petcock's leaking) and closes again when you kill the motor. You can buy rebuild kits for $25 or so, or if you're gonna use the separate fuel valve you don't really need this hose at all and just put the petcock on prime. I'd personally fix the petcock. And make sure that none of the nipples on the carbs are left open or else that cylinder will run lean.

The electrical is for the fuel gauge like you know, and I'm not sure on the port on that, but it's probably a drain/vent. Give it the same treatment as the other drain.

As for routing the hoses, make sure there are no kinks, that all curves are nice and round, and that they stay like that when the tank is down. Shorten hoses if necessary.

boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 06:12 PM
emw
Ride Twins!

I got a pic on my old '85 Ninja 600

The orange line is the fuel line, connect that to the bigger hole of the petcock as enos said.

As for the vacuum lines, there should be a hose connecting the vacuum nipples on carbs #2 and #3 - they come together in a "T" connector (hidden in this picture by a huge hose) and from there, get connected to the smaller hole of the petcock.

The nipples on carb #1 and #4 are connected at the "T" (visible in this picture) and from there is connected to a black box, very near where the gas tank mounts onto the rubber donuts.

Also, I suggest adding a fuel filter while you're at it.

[QUOTE=ReadNotReed2007;4152205]

You sound like you lead a boring life my friend.

A very boring, un-baller life.[/QUOTE]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks so much for this info, it has really helped, it didn't even have vacuum lines attached to carbs 2+3! I will rebuild the petcock as recommended enos and thanks for that great pic emw, I will be fixing this tomorrow! Take care, Noel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in