Sport Bikes banner

Fast rear brake pad wear

649 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  xxxFast Glass 
#1 ·
I just changed my rear brake pads about 3k miles ago on my 500r and now there is no pad left at all on either side. Is this normal?

I haven't been the one riding it, I taught 2 people how to ride on it and they've been putting the miles on it. I'm guessing one of them is riding the rear brake... but 3k miles!? Defective brake pads maybe?

#2 ·
Defective riders. Safety-wire the rear brake pedal so it can't be moved, or just remove it altogether, then loan it to those two people.

If they complain that they can't ride it any more 'cause the brakes don't work, take it away from them.

Or it could be the rear brake is dragging slightly. Does the rear rotor show signs of overheating? If you lift the bike and spin the rear tire, do you feel any resistance?

#3 ·
The rear wheel spins freely, even wear on both sides.

Not sure how to tell if it overheats, the rotor isn't warped from what I can tell.

I'm going with the defective rider answer, seems to make sense.

G
#4 ·
Have to agree about the defective rider. They must be riding the heck out of that rear brake.

Can you adjust the rear brake lever lower? Making it tougher to get to will prevent riding the brakes while still being able to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.