GSX650F The new GSX650F

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Checked out the GSX650F at the Mpls show.

This bike has made me forget all about the Ninja 650R, FZ6, V-Strom 650, and most other sub-$7000 motorcycles entirely. The finish and part fitment was much, much better than the GSX-Rs on display (most of them had loose plastic bits and other flaws), and just felt great.

The seat is better than it has any right to, the bar/peg/seat relationship is perfect to me, and the instrumentation is simple and straightforward.

I've heard they're very smooth and comfortable, and I intend on finding out this year. I always was really big on the YZF600R because of its comfort, all-around ability, and well-assembled feel. Now that that one's gone, this is the closest I've found.

I need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skankhair
Does anyone know how to kill someone with their mind? I'd like to learn how.
The cannons blazing, with their blast the Spanish ship is sinking fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 PM
SBN Rookie

I'll "try" to give a review .

My riding history ,1 year on a GS500F ,1.5 years on a boulevard cruiser {don't ask} .
I can't ride for shit and guys that have been riding for 1 year ride rings around me but I'll give you my thoughts on this bike ,I won't give you roll on numbers but I'll try to give you my 1c.

The bike is real easy to ride ,a few times I have read about others people thoughts on this bike and it was 100% the same that I was thinking
,""it makes a bad rider look good and know what their doing in the twistys"" .

Like I said its realy easy to ride for a learner with a little idea how to ride
,it won't bite you if you stuff up a little ,I read alot on the net about this bike or that bike and the comments of "this bike is very forgiving" ....well I understand what that means know .
The ride position is alot more learn forward then I was expecting and you do get that sports bike feel not like a naked bike with a fairing added.
You can get down and playing the twistys with the big boys and get that sports bike buzzzz or just sit up a little a do a 700km+ day.
The bike looks fantastic and I get great comments of how good and big it looks and the amount of bike you get for the money, there very good value here in OZ I got mine for $10,300 ...to give you an Idea a GSXR600 ,Is $15,000+ ,and normally we pay %20 more then other countries for stuff.

Coming for a 800cc V twin with grunt ,this is my first In line 4 and its got grunt down low to mid and the takes off at 6000rpm+.
The is no hesitation at all in the rpm range just power on and away you go.
You plod along at 4-5000rpm all day long and its happy there no buzz or vibes ,it get buzzy if you are in a lower gear up around 8000rpm.
{red lines at 12.500-14,000.}
8000rpm is the top I have reached as I'm still running the motor in.
And its still very stable at 150kpm ,that's as fast as I have had it and it had alot more.{top speed is 240kph ....so I read}
The fairing is GREAT ...I MEAN GREAT ,coming from a cruiser you would think that anyone is good but it's perfect for me ,no wind buffering ...
I'm 180cm ..5.8 feet.

The bike is a little taller then I'm used to ,you can flat foot it just and the balls of your feet at the traffic lights ,its a little hard to push around with your tip toes ,which had to do with the weight of the bike.
The "weight" 216kg DRY.
I read a 1000 people bag this bike about its weight and not one of them had even seen one.
Don't listen to the Internet experts ,read the PRO reviews buy the bike mags , the weight don't get a second thought ,the words Bike of the year and this bike have been said in the same breath.
OK OK ,You think I got fogged over eyes "my bikes the best" .
But really we know its not a 165kg race replica ,this is a all rounder and the weight is low and you don't notice it ,except when pushing it around a angled car park on your tip toes.

The service intervals was some thing I was interested in and its 1000km..6000km..12,000km..............and so on ,and the big service is 24,000km ,so the dealer services are pretty fast 2.5 hours and cheap.

Under seat storage is not great ,but I have a tire repair kit and a few odds and ends ,just to get me by if needed with the bikes tool kit.
You can fit a rain paints in if you are riding local and not to worried about carrying the extra tools .
So its not to bad.

The seat is hard so far and I get numb bumb at the first fuel stop ,so 300km ,till a rest is needed or till the seat softens up ,but at this stage I'll need a seat cover for 300km+ days.
This might be just me ,but my cruiser seat was hard ,but it never bothered me ,just every other owner with that bike.

The tires are great no problems and should last along time.

The bike has alot of little things that surprised me when you consider the price of the bike.
Gear indicator ,gear change light , fuel gauges...with reserve trip timer adjustable leavers .......basic stuff ,but added bonuses .
Digital GSXR speedo .
Its basically got a 2005 front fairing and gauges ,from what I read and its looks FANTASTIC in red at night ,I tried to take pictures of it but can get it to be a clear picture ,just turns out fuzzy.

Brakes are very good and has no problems stopping it ,might not be the best in the business ,but plenty enough for this bike weight and average top speed. {but I miss the engine breaking of the V twin ,I got to learn to ride this in line 4 ,properly yet.}

I "try" to give you some roll on and cruising numbers .

Cruising along a freeway at 120kph ,you sit on around 5000-6000rpm.
This is its sweet spot and its got plenty of grunt from 1000-rpm up and then it wasn't to play over 6000rpm.
You can roll on power from any traffic speed in any gear and it will pull good.
Over take in 6th gear on a freeway and its good ,but if you want to zipp by real quick ,just drop it to 5th and hold on.

Quick notes..
Mirror are great and very clear.
The bikes SMOOOOOOTH.
Fairing are good for keeping wind and rain off.
Good 300km tank.
This bikes motor is 1 year old and no problems from the donor bike ,it gets its motor from ,so its tried and tested.
Sports pipes ,are available already from major brands.
Factory panniers available and top box for touring.
The pipe is HUGE and get weird looks ,but I love it ,like my wife says big is always better. .... then she tells me she wished she married the guys before me. ..........

I'll admit I have never ridden a GSXR600 and this bike to a Gixxer owner might feel a few years old or gutless .
But it has plenty of go in it and is fun to ride and ,I'm sure they would still have a grin at the end of a twisty road . , as the pro reviews said.
The other bike I considered where the Fazer 6s and its really buzzy and you need to dance around the gear box to keep it going and you need to rev it ,not good for ME and riding around the city.{this is IMHO}
And the ER6F or ninja 650 ..and it was small and quiet plan looking again {IMHO}.
The SV650S ,was a close contender ,but to sporty for what I wanted.

The new hornet 600 ,was at our bike show and ,it didn't have a faring and from what I read ,its a little disappointing for the hype it had.

So ,I wanted a full fairing and bike that I can ride on the weekend and ride to work and go away on ,a sport all rounder.
And I'm very happy and I know I will have a good few years before I REALLY need to up grade again.

If you want to see some thing on the bike or ask a question ,I'll try to help.

Disclaimer ....like I said at the start I tried to give a review and its just my thoughts and 1c.

Cheers and Beers
Sled.

Sorry about the spelling mistake and grammer ,look me an hour to write and all I can see now is ,a blur.

Here is a video with a camera mount I made ,you can sorta hear the sound.
YouTube - GSX650F $20 camera mount

Here is a video of the bike.
YouTube - GSX650F

Here is some pictures.
Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I need one too, it WILL be my next bike.

2006 Suzuki GS500F - 15,000 miles
2007 Suzuki
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 11:05 AM

I checked one of these out at my local shop this past weekend. It looks like a very nice bike, and I was surprised how well I fit on it. I am tall, with a long inseam (36") and was very happy to find out that my knees fit in the tank cutouts. I ride a V-Strom 650, but want something sporty to ride once in a while. I either can't fit on or can't tolerate the riding position of the current sport bikes. This was very comfortable, although I think the bars could be a little lower. Nice bike. Now if they would only make a 900cc version of it, I would buy one tomorrow.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Supersport Racer

Thanks for the honest review Sleddog. I went last Friday to a dealer and sat on the GSX650F and a 2007 SV650 (they didn't have the SV650SF in yet). The SV650 is definitely a much prettier bike, but the GSX650F is a lot more comfortable for an ol' fart like me. My left hip would begin to hurt after 40-50 miles on my Ninja 500. The pegs are set in such a way on the GSX650F to allow for the knees and hips to be less bent. This may not be best for a racing "full tuck" position, but I don't intend to race, just to commute and run errands and take her out on Sundays. I really like the GSX650F.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Supersport Racer

Boldblood,
Let me know when you get the new bike, I am curious to see how it compares to your Ninja since I have a Ninja too and am trying to decide between the Suzuki and upgrading to an FZ6.
Dani

Last edited by dankatz; 03-01-2008 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Supersport Racer

Okay, Dani. It might be a while, though, due to finances. I'll let ya know.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 AM

It seems to me that the 650 fills a weird gap for Suzuki. They already have plenty of old 600 and 750 Katanas I like a lot better than the GSX650F and GS500F. I guess I don't understand, what are they supposed to be? They look like weird versions of GSX600Rs that have been mated to a KTM Adventure. If it is supposed to be an entry bike, why does the GS500F exist? If it is supposed to be an affordable every-day bike with sporty influence then why does the SV650 and SV650S exist?

They would have to make this bike VERY comfortable and easy to ride to sell me on it. The SV650 is sporty enough for me to think that there might be a place for the 650F in Suzuki's line, but I haven't heard that it fills a void or fixes a fault that the SVs have.

I guess I'm not sure what this bike is supposed to be. Is it just a replacement for the old Katanas?
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Supersport Racer

"They would have to make this bike VERY comfortable and easy to ride to sell me on it."

Posky, I think they've done that. I sat on a SV650 and a GSX650F and (for me) the GSX650F was far more comfortable. Handling is a different issue which I really can't comment on.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:08 AM
World 500 GP Champion

SVs are twins though, while the GSXF is a I4, and the SVs are much 'sportier' than the GSXF. I want one just because I'm not all about the speed or knee dragging. I just enjoy the roads and want to be comfortable while doing it. I'm keeping the GS for one more year but selling it either at the end of this year or start of next. Unless a new bike comes out or something else really catches my eye, the next bike I get should be the GSXF

2007 Suzuki
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyd5189 View Post
SVs are twins though, while the GSXF is a I4, and the SVs are much 'sportier' than the GSXF. I want one just because I'm not all about the speed or knee dragging. I just enjoy the roads and want to be comfortable while doing it. I'm keeping the GS for one more year but selling it either at the end of this year or start of next. Unless a new bike comes out or something else really catches my eye, the next bike I get should be the GSXF

Well, what really matters is that it's the right ride for you. That is ALWAYS what is most important. I was just worried that it would some how outsell and lead to the phasing out of the SVs.

I guess I don't really have a problem with bikes like this anyway. I think bikes like the GSX650F are the kind of machines that people who really want to ride should get. I did some more reading on the bike after my last post and it and it really does look like it has come to fill the role of the Katanas- something I think is really great. The Katana was all about well rounded fun and regular riding. I think too many bikes are over specialized. I like a well rounded bike and that sounds like what 650F is going to be!

Huzzah!
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM

I may take one out once it's warm weather too. I'm a bit curious as to how it will stack up to the old Katanas.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Supersport Racer

It should be much better than the old Katanas with a smoother engine that is now fuel injected, much better instruments, nicer styling, and riding position just as good. Still can't decide between it and the FZ6....maybe, I should keep my Ninja 500 for another year and wait for more reviews/comparisons.
Dani
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by posky View Post
Well, what really matters is that it's the right ride for you. That is ALWAYS what is most important. I was just worried that it would some how outsell and lead to the phasing out of the SVs.

I guess I don't really have a problem with bikes like this anyway. I think bikes like the GSX650F are the kind of machines that people who really want to ride should get. I did some more reading on the bike after my last post and it and it really does look like it has come to fill the role of the Katanas- something I think is really great. The Katana was all about well rounded fun and regular riding. I think too many bikes are over specialized. I like a well rounded bike and that sounds like what 650F is going to be!

Huzzah!

Agreed, I mean I want something with a bit more power than my GS right now, but I don't want a race bike with some lights on it. The GSXF fits what I want in a bike; good power, comfortable, and most important of all PRACTICAL!(At least in my mind, haha)

2007 Suzuki
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM
51 times World Champions

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
It should be much better than the old Katanas with a smoother engine that is now fuel injected, much better instruments, nicer styling, and riding position just as good. Still can't decide between it and the FZ6....maybe, I should keep my Ninja 500 for another year and wait for more reviews/comparisons.
Dani
All the UK bike magazines love the GSX-650F, if that tells you anything. The big criticism they lodge against it is the ancient Bridgestone teething-rings that Suzuki has chosen to wrap 'round the rims. They're not nearly so generous about the FZ-6, BTW...

Able to split an infinitive at the speed of sound!

Last edited by robert_s_hunter; 03-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in