GSX650F The new GSX650F

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Talking First GSX650F thread

Is anyone out there considering this model?

I sort of like it, but am a bit put off by a couple things. It really should weigh less. At 475 lbs it's a real oinker. And then there's the price. The Suzuki website says the MSRP is $7K. It seems like they could at least match the price of a Kawasaki Ninja 650R ($6,500).

I'm probably in the demographic of folks who would buy the Bandit. From my experience, most of them are older, experienced riders who sport-tour and tour on their bikes... but can't see themselves on something as monstrous as a Yamaha FJR. This new Suzuki isn't going to come close to offering the performance of the Bandit, but it looks like it will provide the same ergos, a full fairing, and a more reasonable price. So, that probably makes it worth looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

i'm considering this for my second bike, but like you said, the weight issue puts me off about it...i saw a 6700 price tag in the latest issue of motorcyclist though

i'm hoping our local suzuki dealer will get one in and let me take it out

Proud Pussy Posse member since Feb 2007

Chic Rider PA chapter member since March 2007
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM

The 650f looks like it will make a good highway cruiser but will probably have a pretty narrow market. I think the SV650 will have more appeal because of its lower weight and price.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater
I think the SV650 will have more appeal because of its lower weight and price.
I'm a huge fan of the SV. I've owned three of them (all naked). One carb version (with the curvy frame and bodywork) and two fuel injected.

The SV is always high on my shopping list. It's just such a perfect all-around, do-anything machine. Odds are that it will win out over the GSX650F for me. I prefer being able to see the engine, and of course the lower price and weight are appealing.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Superbike Champion

I gotta be honest, I don't see where Suzuki was going with this new bike. I guess I can appreciate that they're sticking with something tried and true, but still. Kawasaki has been updating their old wares so maybe Suzuki will do that eventually, rather than just adding a new fairing.

The GS line (500 and 650) just don't look appealing to my eyes anymore. And it's a real shame because I think they'd do what I'm looking for but I can't spend that kind of money on a bike that I don't really love to look at (like the Ninja 650).

Again, that's just my opinion but I'd be interested to see what kind of response they get with these bikes (well, the 650). Then again, maybe there's a huge market for it that I'm unaware of.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeqArtMark
The GS line (500 and 650) just don't look appealing to my eyes anymore.
This may be sort of academic and slightly nit-picky, but the GS500F and the GSX650F aren't really in the same "line" of bikes. Although they seem to look similar, and both appear to be sort of entry level, the GSX650F is really a completely new evolution of the Katana family (which it appears to have replaced). The "X" in the nomenclature tells the tale.

My guess is that Suzuki wanted something that was more of a direct competitor to the Ninja 650R. I always thought the SV650 did a decent job of that, but I guess Suzuki wanted a fully faired model that had handlebars (an upright seating position) like the Ninja. The fairing versions of the SV have a more aggressive riding position. It seems minor, but it's the only thing I can think of.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The GSX650F and Ninja 650R can't be compaird. The GSX is an inline 4, the 650R is a twin. Only thing they have in common is they are 650cc engines. The GSX is more of a sport-touring bike more than anything. The SV is the compatition with the 650R, and personally I'd take the SV.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyd5189
The GSX is an inline 4, the 650R is a twin.
I'd argue that that is pretty much the only thing they don't have in common. Not only that, in-line engines have alot more in common with one another (regardless of any difference in number of cylinders) than an in-line and a "V". The horsepower, torque and RPMs are completely different.

So, I disagree with you on that.

The GSX650F and the Ninja 650R share pretty much the same ergonomics... while an SV650S is much more aggressive. Also, both the GSX650F and the Ninja only come in completely fairing clad versions, while a good % of SV650 models that are sold are naked.

I do agree with you in that I like the SV more than the GSX650F or the Ninja 650R.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 04:58 PM

I have an FZ6 and am currently looking for a new bike. I ride more on the highway than in the city. I think that the price and riding comfort of the Bandit 1250 cannot be beat. The GXR650F is a "baby bandit" style bike and is very popular in Europe so I think that is why Suzuki is trying to introduce them here. Unfortunately both have a dated style. I am thinking about either a Hyabusa (used-06/07) or a Triumph Sprint.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

My previous bike was an FZ6. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Great for sport-touring.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodZuki
I do agree with you in that I like the SV more than the GSX650F or the Ninja 650R.
Alright... I'm flip-floppin here.

The SV is awesome, but the fact I've already had three of them just keeps nagging at me. Looks like the Triumph will sell this weekend. I checked a couple Suzuki dealers last weekend, and none of them had their '08 models in yet.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:37 PM
World 500 GP Champion

As I get closer to my time of getting a new bike....I can't decide between the SV and the GSXF.

I want something with ergos similar to my GS...but with more power. I'm leaning toward the GSXF just because it seems to me that it's a "big brother" of the GS, and will suit my needs in a bike. Comfortable, able to ride for a distance yet can still be fun on some twisty roads.

2006 Suzuki GS500F - 15,000 miles
2007 Suzuki
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Supersport Racer

the GSX650F seems like an odd bike to me, IMO the SV is a much better all around bike.
Its also more "proven" and there are a crapload of aftermarket parts and resources for it.
I race an SV and I've ridden a friends SV street bike quite a few times, it does both perfectly. The faired version could use some higher bars if you want to do long distance stuff but for the twisties and track use the clip-on style bars are a lot better.

I can't stand the look of the GSX though, it looks like a cheap imitation of a GSX-R
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Yea, im still in high debate...the SV is cheaper and way lighter and i know for a fact insurance on the SV will be cheaper than the GSX...so idk, haha.

2006 Suzuki GS500F - 15,000 miles
2007 Suzuki
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Why would you want a big brother of something you already have? Explore something new, you can always go back to the same old same old.

If you have to ask why I ride, you'll never understand anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in