done with street - Page 6 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:45 PM
American Tart

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

They aren't open days at Jennings. (Well, Mondays can end up being open if only a few people show up, which is awesome).

They are structured exactly like any other track day, minus the egos that you sometimes get with the orgs. They have their own control riders, have novice, intermediate and advanced groups, riders meetings and all. They handle race control in any case, so that doesn't change. I think they do it as well or better than any track day orgs I've gone with. Very professional and safety conscious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:02 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)

Well that sounds cool then. I had a different picture in my head. The group I use the most is very structured. Level 1 and 2 have class time after each session on the track. Skip class and you dont get on the track for the next session. Level 3 does not have a class they have to attend unless they are paying for an advanced class to prepare for race license and such. They dont allow inside passing at all in Level 1 or 2 and only allow outside passing in turns in the second half of the day for level 2 if things went well in the a.m. Lots of good info learned from going to the classroom for 20 minutes after the 20 minute session on the track... everything is still fresh in your mind. Of course each session is split into groups with 5 or so instructors per level. Anyway they are safety oriented and do a great job of keeping things going smooth. We have had a few accidents in the organization some of them a little more serious but no deaths.... and I hope it stays that way.

RIP Nicky Hayden! You will be missed.
post #78 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
I don't believe either one is safer than the other. That's kind of what it did to me. I don't have the same sense of security about a track day as I used to. Maybe was a false sense to begin with, but whatever it was, I don't feel the same about it now.

It's not that there are no tracks nearby, but I don't think any of them sponsor their own, do they? Jennings has their own track days, so you can just turn up and ride (or pay a little less if you pay them in advance) without having to go through anyone else if you don't want to. That's what made it so easy.
No you have to go with TPM, Tony's, Absolute or NESBA.....or whatever they are called now.

The track itself does nothing.

[quote]
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you ďcertainly hopeĒ I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight. [/quote]
~Random Interweb Dude whom I very much want to buy a beer.

post #79 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:19 PM
ped
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 445 Post(s)

jennings runs fantastic trackdays and I like them over most everyone else. When we do the winter trip down there we watch the weather and just show up. They dont have to pay to rent the place in advance so you dont either. Though I nearly got into a fight last year from a guy claiming "his friend timed me doing :18's in intermediate and that I almost caused him to crash when I passed on the straight and backed it in to T1".... ( I wish I was that cool)

Mid-ohio runs their own too....they cater your lunch and drinks and take novices out in groups of 2-4 per control rider.

WERA #112

AXO|ReplayXD|Matrix Concepts|Shorai

Last edited by ped; 12-29-2014 at 08:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ped For This Useful Post:
acalliste (12-29-2014)
post #80 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 PM
American Tart

Yep, you can't escape the one dick in every crowd. How did his friend time you? I'd want a print-out to hang on my canopy.

He was probably new to intermediate and you were the first one to scare the shit out of him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #81 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:46 PM
American Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nDuck View Post
Well that sounds cool then. I had a different picture in my head. The group I use the most is very structured. Level 1 and 2 have class time after each session on the track. Skip class and you dont get on the track for the next session.

Yeah, that's a little too much nannying for me. I like the idea of a class, if it's voluntary and run by people who know what they're talking about. But once you've done a few track days, even if you're still riding in novice, it's annoying to have to sit through a class when you could be or need to be doing other things. If you know and follow the rules and aren't causing any problems, that's enough. Unless you want more.

And Jesus, after EVERY session? Sometimes it takes me the whole time between sessions just to get out of my leathers, go and change a plug in the ladies room, and then get back into my leathers, rehydrate, eat a few grapes or banana and get back out there. And when it's really hot out, I need some down time between sessions where I can relax and don't have to think.

post #82 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Yeah, that's a little too much nannying for me. I like the idea of a class, if it's voluntary and run by people who know what they're talking about. But once you've done a few track days, even if you're still riding in novice, it's annoying to have to sit through a class when you could be or need to be doing other things. If you know and follow the rules and aren't causing any problems, that's enough. Unless you want more.
I understand your point there as well. There have been times when I would rather be just chilling with friends instead of at a class. Then there are other times when they are going through video of you that previous session and point out things to help that you dont even realize you did. There was a time you could simply opt out of class if you where level 2 but then they got scared when another organization got sued (not sure the specifics). There are several other organizations I go to the track with as well but the very nanny one is the one I use the most. My favorate though is actually one ran by a dealership. The whole group is small and they split it between 2 groups. Level 1 is kinda guided and level 2 has rules but very relaxed. Usually have the whole track for a group of no more than 20 to 30 riders. Its lots of fun but they only do 2 a year.

Next year I really hope to be able to go to COTA..... some buddies tell me its better than Barber.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dem0nDuck For This Useful Post:
acalliste (12-29-2014)
post #83 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 PM
American Tart

Barber is beautiful! The only thing that sucks about it is having to pit on a concrete parking lot. But man, the grounds are beautiful, the track is beautiful and the museum is amazing.

I hope you get to go to COTA. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

The Following User Says Thank You to acalliste For This Useful Post:
Dem0nDuck (12-29-2014)
post #84 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar

Fucking get a life insurance policy and man up. I can't stand pussy-whipped weasels who can't live their life for fear of what might happen. Take care of the potentialities and go live. Your offspring would much rather the memory of a proud and happy parent who lived as he saw fit than the reality of a miserable unhappy one too frightened to take chance.

If the OP wants to do track because he wants to do track, good for him. Sounds like fun. But if he wants to do track because he's frightened off the street because of his little get off than he can kiss my ugly fat hairy white ass. Fuck that noise. The saying goes when you fall off the horse you get back the fuck on, not crawl into your little hole and cower.
You're pretty ignorant, and the more you talk the more it shows. If you call a major surgery, a plate holding my pelvis together along with a fractured hip, wheelchair and crutches for another six week after today, and 36 staples holding a giant fucking cut together a little get off, well, you're just a fucking moron.

Thanks to the rest for the creative criticism. I'll likely ride canyons again at some point but I'll never commute on a bike again. Has nothing to do with being a pussy and everything to do with keeping myself alive for my son's sake.
post #85 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:47 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Dveldt you just worry about healing up right now. Once your all healed up and feeling new again then you can think about getting back to riding and what limits you will or wont have.

post #86 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nDuck View Post
Personally I dont like doing track days without going through an organization. I like to know that the people on the track with me are somewhere near my skill level. I have been to some less controled track days but never an open track day.
Having run with a few different track day orgs, they can make a huge difference in the safety on the track. Some orgs it is like a free for all with no rule enforcement, free bumps, etc. Others are very well run with an eye on efficiently and safety. Then there are plenty in the middle.

Quote:
They aren't open days at Jennings. (Well, Mondays can end up being open if only a few people show up, which is awesome).

They are structured exactly like any other track day, minus the egos that you sometimes get with the orgs. They have their own control riders, have novice, intermediate and advanced groups, riders meetings and all. They handle race control in any case, so that doesn't change. I think they do it as well or better than any track day orgs I've gone with. Very professional and safety conscious.
The mid-atlantic has some great orgs that run solid track days at a variety of tracks. I am excited to see how the new Dominion road course just south of Fredericksburg will turn out. Most of the time you can register the day of, but you lose the early registration discount. John knows who they are (or used to be), but if you want any info let me know. I hope to make it to more days than I did last year, but life happens.

post #87 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM
You are here

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dveldt View Post
You're pretty ignorant, and the more you talk the more it shows. If you call a major surgery, a plate holding my pelvis together along with a fractured hip, wheelchair and crutches for another six week after today, and 36 staples holding a giant fucking cut together a little get off, well, you're just a fucking moron.
Try broken everything and third degree burns over most of your body. Oh, and a crispy-crittered dead spouse while you're at it. Happened to a stunt pilot I know. Difference is he got back on the horse. Sorry, some of us love what we do. I'd never leave spawn high and dry, neither would I stop being who I am for their sake.

But for what its worth, I do know a lot of guys like you. Ride like crazy until that crash, and didn't get back on the horse after. Admittedly, they're doing way better than the dead ones. I'm the only rider I know left from those days.
post #88 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM
American Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
but life happens.

That's pretty much where it's at right now. Just waiting for the right time. I'm not exactly bored right now, with other hobbies to keep me busy.

post #89 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM
You are here

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Looking at another bike, the guy offered tickets to a track day. $180. That's 3 and a half hours flying. Sorry but no.
post #90 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:10 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Dem0nDuck: I'll be making the trip back at COTA for RideSmart's April event. When you get to ride it, guaranteed you'll move Barber to #2 on the list as far as best track you've ever ridden.

And FWIW, RS is one the the best td orgs I've ever ridden with. Seriously the professionalism reminded me of how John Allen ran the SE region of NESBA while they were around. I understand RideSmart had to be on absolute best behavior at Circuit of the Americas, but I'm not sure my home org could pull off an event that well run given that venue. I enjoyed the mandatory classes in L2, although I'm a sucker for learning. Didn't want to be "that guy" that signs up for A-group the first time riding with a different org, and I'm glad I didn't. It was cool to hear some parts of CSS and YCRS curriculum incorporated into the classroom material. Willingness to soak up as much info as I can is also why I normally take our org's "School of R.O.C.C." every season as well.

Would I have loved to relax/watch the other groups? Kinda. But the structure of the class gave me focus points to work on each session. Registering for L2 again on Mon when it opens for April. :-)

-Christian

Never stop learning.

Last edited by ANORXIC'51; 12-30-2014 at 07:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ANORXIC'51 For This Useful Post:
Dem0nDuck (12-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in