done with street - Page 4 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:34 PM
World Superbike Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My experience from sports car racing is that you are more likely to crash on the track but less likely to die or sustain serious injury when you do.

More likely to crash because you're going fast and pushing limits.

Less likely to be seriously hurt because of the controlled situation: vehicles all moving one direction, no semi-trucks, no SUVs cutting you off, decent run-off area, soft protective barriers, etc. Also medical personnel on site to deal with any injuries and transport you if necessary.

[FONT=Impact]1/2-Fast[/FONT]
-------------------------------------------------
You're never too old to have a happy childhood.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-fast Rider For This Useful Post:
Dem0nDuck (12-22-2014), jeffo8 (01-07-2015), The Predator (12-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 02:41 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Man, that is terrible but it is good to hear that you are doing better. As someone suffering with Chronic Pelvic Pain (I did nothing to cause it and did not sustain any injuries) for the past 3 years, I can slightly understand what you are going through.

I have my bike but have not ridden this past year and if I can ride without too much discomfort and pain by next season than I will give it a shot, likely only track because I'm tired of pissing about on the street. We have next to no decent back roads and no canyons.

I wish you all the best and screw the people giving you grief. Riding is something we all CHOOSE to do. It does not make you any better or worse than someone who does or does not ride. If you don't want to ride street than it is completely understandable. I always say, if your heart is not in it than it is not worth riding.

I know if my Pelvic issue does not get any better than I may just sell the bike as she has been a paperweight this year. I was devastated when I hung up my helmet for the year.

I would like to hear about some of the side effects and/or impairments you are going through has a result of the Pelvic injury. Please give me a message.
The Following User Says Thank You to Razzy For This Useful Post:
dveldt (12-26-2014)
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:08 AM
ped
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 445 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nDuck View Post
Actually yes it is much safer. I am sure that if someone was to research it then they would find that fatality at the track is a much lower percent to fatality on the street. This is not to say that your less likely to go down but less likely to die from it for sure.
you'd find the fatality rate higher than you think on the track if you calculate time spent doing both activities. It's not a fair comparison if the average person is riding on the street everyday and logging 10K+ miles a year when you're trying to calculate which environment has worse odds.

So take a sample of 70 riders doing weekly 150mi group rides of various sizes over 10 weekends. Then take a sample of 10 different trackdays with about 70 riders attending each one and logging roughly 150 miles each day. The amount of crashes will be significantly higher at the track as will the amount of non-leathal injuries. The fatilities? IDK higher on the street it would seem but I doubt as much as you think. I hear of at least 3-5 a year.

WERA #112

AXO|ReplayXD|Matrix Concepts|Shorai

Last edited by ped; 12-25-2014 at 06:27 AM.

post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 05:44 AM
Club Racer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Man, sorry to hear about your wreck and injuries. Hope you heal up quick and get back to riding whether on street or track

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to b3av3r For This Useful Post:
dveldt (12-26-2014)
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

Thanked 1,017 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I wish you all the best and screw the people giving you grief. Riding is something we all CHOOSE to do. It does not make you any better or worse than someone who does or does not ride. If you don't want to ride street than it is completely understandable. I always say, if your heart is not in it than it is not worth riding.
You chose riding or not. You also chose how to interpret events, just like you chose how to interpret things said by other people. I'm not trying to give him any grief, I just tried to help him see the whole thing from a different perspective.

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Süsser Tod For This Useful Post:
dveldt (12-26-2014)
post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:02 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
You chose riding or not. You also chose how to interpret events, just like you chose how to interpret things said by other people. I'm not trying to give him any grief, I just tried to help him see the whole thing from a different perspective.
I wasn't referring to you in my comment mate. It was a general statement in regards to people out there.
post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post
you'd find the fatality rate higher than you think on the track if you calculate time spent doing both activities. It's not a fair comparison if the average person is riding on the street everyday and logging 10K+ miles a year when you're trying to calculate which environment has worse odds.

So take a sample of 70 riders doing weekly 150mi group rides of various sizes over 10 weekends. Then take a sample of 10 different trackdays with about 70 riders attending each one and logging roughly 150 miles each day. The amount of crashes will be significantly higher at the track as will the amount of non-leathal injuries. The fatilities? IDK higher on the street it would seem but I doubt as much as you think. I hear of at least 3-5 a year.
Looking at the national average in 2012 a motorcycle rider dies on the street for every 4297378 miles traveled on motorcycles in the US. I took one long standing track day organization that I have been with for a long time and started doing numbers. They like to keep the students in each session at 17-20 students per mile of track. I figured lower and went with 15 (yes they always sell out). The average of the 10 tracks we use each year is 2.5 miles. We have 3 sessions so it comes out to about 111 students at a track day. I figure 150 miles each day at the track is close enough so I left that number alone. We do 37 track days a year. This organization has been around for 7 years. This gives a estimated total of 4312350 miles on the track for this organization. To date there has been 0 deaths with this organization. I will be sure to let you know if there ever is one. I am fairly sure that track days are much safer as far as death goes.

RIP Nicky Hayden! You will be missed.
post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 01:36 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Looking at the national average in 2012 a motorcycle rider dies on the street for every 4297378 miles traveled on motorcycles in the US. I took one long standing track day organization that I have been with for a long time and started doing numbers. They like to keep the students in each session at 17-20 students per mile of track. I figured lower and went with 15 (yes they always sell out). The average of the 10 tracks we use each year is 2.5 miles. We have 3 sessions so it comes out to about 111 students at a track day. I figure 150 miles each day at the track is close enough so I left that number alone. We do 37 track days a year. This organization has been around for 7 years. This gives a estimated total of 4312350 miles on the track for this organization. To date there has been 0 deaths with this organization. I will be sure to let you know if there ever is one. I am fairly sure that track days are much safer as far as death goes.
Destroyed...
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 03:52 AM
ped
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Looking at the national average in 2012 a motorcycle rider dies on the street for every 4297378 miles traveled on motorcycles in the US.
does that include riders without proper gear, drunken harely badasses and the overtly reckless? If so multiply that number by about 10,000.

WERA #112

Last edited by ped; 12-28-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 06:10 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Jesus fuck are you still on this kick?

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Tapdancing on the Ragged Edge of Weird since 1992 [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[quote]Just what a guy wants to know: that she spent ten years fucking every bad boy that gave her a moist-on and now she's "settling for him." Gee honey, thanks for letting me know how special I am to you. [/quote]
post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Predator View Post
Some people have a hard time when their bubble is burst and are willing to go down with the ship instead of changing course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Predator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
Some people have a hard time when their bubble is burst and are willing to go down with the ship instead of changing course.
Some people just have to be an asshole...he doesn't do this on another board I see him post on. He'd get banned rather quickly there being an asshole.

Ped's picks were from: '03 (1), '09 (2), '10 (2), '12 (1), '13 (2), and '14 (1). They were also from multiple tracks and organizations.

DemOnDuck's example comes from one year, one organization and I'm assuming possibly a couple of different tracks. Now, how many trackday organizations are there across the country? Next, how many race organizations? With enough research, you could find the answers but I don't give a shit enough to bother. If you did, I don't think the numbers would be higher than the highway average (or even close) on any given year.

And ped, yes, those numbers are for all highway fatalities. The question I'd have would be: does the NHTSA's number include trackday fatalities? Something tells me yes.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 AM
ped
World 500 GP Champion

I highly doubt it. they're death on private courses and no one keeps track of that. so given that mine came from a 5 minute search since he's never heard of a death on a racetrack.

and if you're refering to the bbs ive been banned plenty and the moderators take the cake anyway....I know many people on their personally cause you know I actually get off the internet and go racing.

Quote:
irony much?

you're so delusional that I've become an "asshole" for keeping it real

WERA #112

Last edited by ped; 12-28-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Mexican Hard Shell Taco

Thanked 1,017 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Looking at the national average in 2012 a motorcycle rider dies on the street for every 4297378 miles traveled on motorcycles in the US.
Do you think the statistics matter? That statistic counts these kind of people:

SAPD: Man killed while driving off lot with new motorcycle had no license

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in