Would you do this trade? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Sled Head

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Would you do this trade?

I have an 02 R6 with 17k miles & a 1994 intruder with 6k miles, both excellent condition (r6 could use a new rear tire). I have wanted a newer sportbike for awhile, and my local dealership has a 2007 cbr 600 with 2900 miles, looks all stock, bright orange. They replaced the plastics they said after light rash. I would not have known, had they not told me, no biggie looks new.
Cannot be told from new. They want 5k. They are fixing a tire on my intruder, when I thought of the idea. So they have the intruder, and then I rode my R6 down for them to look at. They said they are interested and they will call me. I like the Honda and they would probably make out better and I would have something newer without the hassle of selling anything, what do you guys think. Would you do it? Here is pic of my 2 and you know what an 07 cbr 600 looks like.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	231738   Click image for larger version

Name:	intruder.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	655.8 KB
ID:	231746  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by mtre23; 04-30-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 PM
A guy on a scruffy bike

Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,830 Posts
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you like and use the cruiser? Will you miss having the option between the two bikes for different riding purposes?

If it was me, and I wasn't using the cruiser much, then yes, I'd do it. If the cruiser serves a different useful purpose than the sportbike, though, I'd stick with the two bikes.

PhilB

"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." -- Carl Schurz, (1829-1906) German born U.S. Senator and Union Army general during the US Civil War

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

'93 Ducati "Ferrari of Motorcycles" Monster 900; 229,000 miles so far
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
World Superbike Champion

Your bike +5k? that seems like a lot but I don't know.
If it were me, I would go to cycletrader and look up how much people are selling Intruders for and how much people are selling 07 cbr600rr in your area/state and if you think it's a fair trade, then ask if you can have a third party mechanic look it over because you never know with dealerships.

~I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.~
aka Red_Fox aka @keri_nyx

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Someone always loses on a trade. If you're trading with a dealership, they aren't going to be on the losing end.

That only leaves you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM
A guy on a scruffy bike

Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Fox View Post
Your bike +5k? that seems like a lot but I don't know.
If it were me, I would go to cycletrader and look up how much people are selling Intruders for and how much people are selling 07 cbr600rr in your area/state and if you think it's a fair trade, then ask if you can have a third party mechanic look it over because you never know with dealerships.
I think what he means is that they want 5K without a trade-in, and he's thinking if he trades both bikes, he might not have to pay anything, or only a small amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
Someone always loses on a trade. If you're trading with a dealership, they aren't going to be on the losing end.

That only leaves you.
No, someone doesn't always lose on a trade. If each party wants what the other has more than what he has, then the trade is mutually beneficial. Indeed, ANY business transaction should be mutually beneficial, and most of them are.

PhilB

"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." -- Carl Schurz, (1829-1906) German born U.S. Senator and Union Army general during the US Civil War

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

'93 Ducati "Ferrari of Motorcycles" Monster 900; 229,000 miles so far
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
No, someone doesn't always lose on a trade. If each party wants what the other has more than what he has, then the trade is mutually beneficial. Indeed, ANY business transaction should be mutually beneficial, and most of them are.

PhilB
I don't count feelings in the equation. Very rarely, like practically never, do trades work out evenly all around financially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Sled Head

I am a sportbike guy, I took the crusier on trade (long story). I have been saving for newer sportbike, but $$ keeps going other places. I thought this might be a good way to do it. The dealership will make out ( I have clean title on both, (r6 has salvage title) but never frame damage or anything like that & is completely mechanically sound, with no more then a couple of small paints chips here and there. The Suzuki is a 800 and is like new.
And I will have a practically new sportbike for the Summer. I actually think that 5k is a great price on a 07 cbr 600 with 2900 miles.

Yes, Phil you are right , I m looking to trade both of mine for the newer cbr.

I copied a pic from their ad of the Honda,
of course 1st thing I would do is get an undertail kit and a pipe lol. Probably get a custom paint job to, but maybe not until Winter. Oh & frame sliders a must for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07 cbr.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	231770  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by mtre23; 04-30-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Do they know the R6 has a salvage title? They probably won't want it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Sled Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchlPunk View Post
Do they know the R6 has a salvage title? They probably won't want it.
Yes of course they know, they looked it over hard,( bike speaks for itself, completely straight and runs perfect) and said they were interested, so, I guess well see. Their is some particular interest as well because as it turns out the Intruder was bought new from them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by mtre23; 04-30-2014 at 07:45 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I don't think you are gaining much by going from an 02 R6 to an 07 RR the honda had very few to no upgrades since its initial release it usually takes manufactures a minimum of three generations to have a significant impact on how the bike performs IMO anyway.

Have you ever ridden a CBR600RR? as a road bike they are a fairly horrible thing although again this is IMO. You want to get and an then pour a heap of money into it again not sure about that one.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 PM
Supersport Racer

Personally I wouldn't do it. You have 2 bikes which are totally different riding styles which provides you with options. You could convert the R6 to a dedicated track bike and avoid the hassle of changing it back to street when you want to just take a lazy ride. Or even just weekend twisty duty with it and using the cruiser for daily commute / cruising.

So long as both bikes are mechanically sound and haven't turned into money pits, you've got more value in what you have in my opinion.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:18 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I think they're going to lowball you on the R6. It's really up to you. As someone said, going from an R6 to a CBR is meh. If there's nothing wrong with the R6, you're essentially giving away one of your bikes, plus money, for something similar. You won't gain a whole lot except something newer. If it's what you want, go for it!

Money can't buy happiness. But... It can buy a Motorcycle. And you can't be sad on a motorcycle...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Pit Bike Legend

None of this discussion is worth a shit until you know how much they will give you for the bikes. If they'll do a straight trade and you want their bike, then great. However somehow I highly doubt they will do that, especially with a salvage title bike. Doesn't matter if it "speaks for itself" the title speaks loud and clear to any potential buyer that the value is a LOT lower than an equally nice non-salvage bike.

We can all talk back and forth all we want, but until there are some real numbers we cant know if it's a good deal or not.

[COLOR="Lime"][b][u]Dallas Ashley[/u][/b][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][b]
[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Lime"]You crash 'em, we hack 'em.[/COLOR]

[/b]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Human After All

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Garage
"2007 cbr 600 with 2900 miles" so ~400 miles a year.

Have you taken a look at my brake rotor thread about what a barely used motorcycle has happen to it over time or...?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM
You are here

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I'd stick with the R6, its a known bike. Odin only knows what you'll have to do to a garage queen CBR. Yeah, the newer bike will likely be a bit faster, but only a bit. Just not worth trading a whole 'nother motorcycle. If you're that tired of having a cruiser sell it and pocket the money. Better yet, use the money to further trick out the older bike, then it will be considerably faster than the new one.

I actually like the lines of the older sport bike better. Never liked the undertail exhaust of the CBR's, always looked like an afterthought to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in