ZX1200X Review - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Red face XR1200X Review

cliff notes:

I just went to the HD website and clicked on this model. It says "built to push limits". No, it is not. It is a big scooter, and in all honesty, I would rather have a Ninja 250 or 500.

Full review:

So we begin with the big orange/black blimp helping me find the dealership. I thought, wow, it could be a Halloween store. When I pulled into the parking lot, I was right about both...everyone had their Harley Davidson costumes on. Even the dogs. The gay bee gees song confirmed both as well.

How do I convey this feeling I had? lmgtfy...

So OK, let's be objective. You're not here for the costume party or orgy of mental-masturbation, you're here to experience a Harley Davidson (remember, these are my thoughts BEFORE riding a Harley. I am now aware that one without the other is useless). I find my way to the tent to register. They asked me the usual questions...wait...they asked me the questions you'd expect from a Harley Davidson test ride. I'll skip the obvious truth-jokes here but you can imagine. By the way, I thought it really cute that they actually had loaner helmets...until the safety lecture, but one step at a time.

I'm off to the third tent, as instructed. Apparently the lady couldn't count, because she meant fourth. I get there and it was just as useles as the third tent. Some guy was told he had to wait 2.5 hours for his ride. Understandable...it was about noon-1pm when I got there. When it was my turn he asked me what I wanted to ride, and I told him the new sportster. I received an email about it, and I actually thought that was the only demo there was. He was confused. Now I was also. He mentioned the sportsters they have, and I mentioned to him its supposed to be the new sporty sportster. He mentioned the 48, which I know it isn't (its a retro sportster ( ) and nightrider or whatever the blacked out is called. I said anything with the 1200 is fine. Oh damn, I just realized, all this time I was riding a 1200cc motorcycle? Anyways, he gave me the 48 and I said "f- it". It's really interesting that when they're here doing a promo for hteir bikes, they dont even know what they have.

When asked about how long it would be, he said when the next ride gets in. Really? Some guy would rather wait 2.5 hours to sit on a loveseat with wheels? OK, different strokes for different folks.

So the safety lecture begins and it ends with "by the way, if anyone needs to learn how to ride, I do offer lessons". I thought it was a joke. No, he wasn't joking. This, with the loaner helmets...now I was worried. It didn't help when I saw the zx1200x and bee-lined to it (hoping someone would just hop on another sportster if they had this one) and the guy with the boat-harley next to me nearly tipped over his bike. Actually, I think he did but the footrest kept it up I BS you not.

Staggered formation...pretty simple, right? WRONG, A__HOLE! You don't know dick! So we leave and at the very first right, everyone is all of the sudden in one lane. This is a very wide and long right turn lane, so I just naturally scooted to the top. I didn't do it on purpose or even think about it. I just figured, when everyone decides to get back into staggered formation, I'll still be in it. Really, I can't emphasize how wide the lane was, and how slow everyone was going...and to make things worse, most of the first riders STAYED in staggered formation during the turn. But oh, someone had to "straighten me out"

No passing? Idiot, I was going 5-10 mph when everyone else was merging to the right, for no reason, no traffic and a very wide turning lane. I decided to ignore him even though he wasn't one of the guys from the dealership (who didn't tell me anything). Maybe it was my blue/white jacket, maybe it was my full face helmet, but it really annoyed him that I rode NORMAL. F- him and the horse he was riding (edit) by the way, there were two other right turns and even with no traffic, clearly visible, they stayed at the red. In California, you can turn on a red right if there's no traffic and you make a complete stop.

(intermission)
So what's up with all this drama before you even describe the performance of the motorcycle? Dude, its a Harley...it doesn't have performance adn it's all about image. This is a part of the review...actually, the main part.
[/intermission]

So the bike had the torque of what I imagine a sv650 has. It vibrated pretty bad. The 1198 vibrates bad also, but not this bad...and the 1198 rips new as-sholes into unsuspecting victims whereas this thing is just a big scooter. I've owned a few bikes and I'm no stranger to vibrations on the bars, but I exaggerate not...the whole front forks, down to teh wheels, vibrate. It looks really scary and I'm not joking. I looked at the bigger bikes and saw what loooked like an air inlet? (between the cylinders) vibrating REALLY bad...like my forks. I dunno what to say about this.

The seating position was nice.

There, I said something nice. Acceleration sucks. It redlines at 7k. You get there fast (45mph I think). I will give it respect for feeling very balanced. I would feel more comfortable leaning this thing at the track or canyons than the streetfighter or 1198 I just had demo'd an hour earlier. Maybe that's because I'd worry about dropping the Ducs? And no, for the record, it didn't skewer my opinion of the Sportster. I drove a very old car from one to the other and it took me 1/2 hour to get there.

So we stayed riding in straight lines, except for turns. this thing does turn good, and feels like it has great balance. its more of a competitor to a Monster than anything.

So I went to do the kickstand and it really is weird. First, I found it quick because I knew before hand that it would be a hunt so I was mentally prepared. Second, i couldn't keep my heel on it the whole time. The rear set got in the way. So some clown comes over to help and tells me its a "toe" type. I did it with my toe and it still couldn't do it.

So anyways, I'm thinking "now I can talk about how much harleys suck", even for a cruiser type bike. Seriously, it sucks. I saw a regular full sized cruiser...I think an Americana Triumph with 865 engine for under $6k brand new...why would I buy this instead if I just want a couch with wheels? Whatever. I go to the free grub place and i'm told i need to go inside to get a ticket...it is free though. F- you, enough is enough. This gay day parade had to come to an end. I was hoping for a free burger but i'm not going inside the gay disco for it. I just grabbed a drink (dont know if a ticket was required, probably though) and left.

Folks, it was not worth it. If you really want to experience a Harley, wait until you're 55 and 300lbs. Til then, ride something that can hurt you...or better yet, buy a car.

This isn't meant to be a dis on harley owners, but the whole culture and attitude......its not working.

Last edited by PCHbreeze; 10-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Superbike Racer

A Harley zx1200r? I'm confused...

[QUOTE=FZSix828;3778466]btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?[/QUOTE] :beer
Where the bike has taken me...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OrangeJulio on xbl:banana
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Deutsche RŁstungsteilung

Thanked 1,259 Times in 657 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

H-D has a XR1200.

ZX is trademarked by Kawasaki.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Green"][B]Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B Konigstiger {King Tiger}. Known as the "Royal Tiger" to the Allies.[/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"]2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80[/SIZE]

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Motorcycle Affectionado

It may suck, but I'm happy HD is trying to build a bike with modern technology. I think they will get it right soon. I think it looks great though, so they're half way there.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

oops, major typo. i'm not familiar with Harley obviously and I am with the zx line.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
World Superbike Champion

Okay.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:51 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Does your HD dealership not offer testrides 365 days out of the year? Or was this just some annual HD festival or something? I'm pretty sure all of the HD dealerships in Phoenix offer testrides to just about anyone. I've gone on two, both times I had a babysitter but after the first one which was short I requested to go on the highway and they okay'd it. Not terrible but definitely not as good as the Euro dealership next door.

WRT vibrations -- Did it vibrate while riding or just at idle? I've never been on one but I've been on their Electra, which, if a Harley is a loveseat, the Electra is a waterbed. At idle it was like trying to ride a bull(a 900lb bull) but once it went in gear the engine was incredible smooth, I was actually amazed. Felt just as smooth as the ST3 I rode a few days earlier.

The thing that amazes me is the riding lessons. Do you not need a mc license to ride a motorcycle on public roads so long as you're "just taking it for a test ride?"

Anyways, decent review, I think it's pretty ugly looking but if it sells good for them.

How to lose fat: starting strength + 500 calorie/day defecit + lots of protein
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Your friendly antagonist

I lawled.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="YELLOW"]SLAY-LEESTA[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 PM
World 500 GP Racer

btw pic 3 is incredible i laughed so hard i kinda choked on my spit when i saw it

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom10167 View Post
Does your HD dealership not offer testrides 365 days out of the year? Or was this just some annual HD festival or something? I'm pretty sure all of the HD dealerships in Phoenix offer testrides to just about anyone. I've gone on two, both times I had a babysitter but after the first one which was short I requested to go on the highway and they okay'd it. Not terrible but definitely not as good as the Euro dealership next door.

WRT vibrations -- Did it vibrate while riding or just at idle? I've never been on one but I've been on their Electra, which, if a Harley is a loveseat, the Electra is a waterbed. At idle it was like trying to ride a bull(a 900lb bull) but once it went in gear the engine was incredible smooth, I was actually amazed. Felt just as smooth as the ST3 I rode a few days earlier.

The thing that amazes me is the riding lessons. Do you not need a mc license to ride a motorcycle on public roads so long as you're "just taking it for a test ride?"

Anyways, decent review, I think it's pretty ugly looking but if it sells good for them.
I'm sure if you convinced them you're a serious buyer and you've owned bikes before they'd cough up a "demo model" but not always. Besides, I wouldn't want to go to one pretending to be serious about it. I tried that twice when I had the R1 and wanted a sportster just for commuting and they had major attitude when they saw a full face and a leather jacket that had protective padding.

It's the same with most dealers actually, except for Ducatis...they're usually very good to me for some reason, and I've never even owned one (i'd imagine they'd cater more towards previous owners since loyalty with them like HD is big). The vibrations weren't bad while cruising but at idle it was horrendous. I've seen them before, but I guess I've never paid much attention to them at red lights but when you're on one and you see the forks all the way down to the wheel hub looking like two giant vibrators, I knew this couldn't be good. I know how screws come off from vibrations and I'm sure HD's aren't exempt.

Yes, you were required to have a motorcycle license but many HD types just get a license the easy way (weekend course), get a test ride on a 250, and dont need a dmv riding test. These are the same guys who become statistics...the HD version of Jap bike freeway stunters, ect.

As far as looks, i think its an ok bike...better than most Standards out there (ie naked sv650, cb900, ect) but as far as aestetics go, its all about image with HD, and the sportster is the girly HD.

The worst part of the experience was how hard the "harley poser" image was reinforced throughout the experience. I hope to own a harley eventually (when i'm old and a careful sane rider) but that image sh.t has gotta go. til then, i'm not waving at anyone, sportbike or anything, unless i've had my wheaties that day or something.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Haha how peculiar. Is Huntington Beach in SoCal? Maybe the "look" is harder there. FYI I've never walked in to a HD shop(only three) in anything less than a 2 piece suit, with a graphics FF helmet, before anyone's seen my bike they're still pretty friendly with me. Like I said I always get a babysitter on testrides but other than that,pretty normal. The Jap dealerships around here never allow test rides, some old guy said they wouldn't let him ride a cruiser so I know they weren't just BSing me.

The weird thing is the image being pushed. I actually thought it was weird how little that was being flaunted. Maybe Phoenix is just some black hole of normalcy.

Who cares, that story is awesome lehwlz

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

At least you went into it with an open mind.

Veni, Vidi, Vici
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Harley bashing is passe at this point. Go whine and complain elsewhere.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i'm sure phoenix is different. so is northern california. This was in Irvine...very very stereotypical wasp community (south orange county). i'm sure in east la or something it wouldn't have been that bad...or at the least, no leathered down mini-dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumina View Post
Harley bashing is passe at this point. Go whine and complain elsewhere.
i'm not bashing harley. i think i even said that i'd love to buy one eventually, and I mean it.

whining/complaining...its a review and this is a motorcycle forum. i had an open mind about harleys, but you clicked "reply" in this thread to bitch and complain about me, right?

and..."passe"?

illiterate fuck.

Last edited by PCHbreeze; 10-18-2010 at 03:25 AM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Talking

An email I received from the same dealership the other day...apparently I had used my real email address for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in