to CBR/f4i owners, gas gauge?? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

to CBR/f4i owners, gas gauge??

hey guys, i took my bike to the local honda motodealer today because my gas gauge doesnt light up. when i get there, the service manager tells me that its def messed up and that it would run about 170 dollars just to look at it. im like WTF dude. then i get home and research it further, and find people saying its not a fuel gauge, its a reservoir gauge.

so this means if lights up when im starting to get low on gas? if thats the casse, and im pretty sure it is from what i read, why the hell would the supposedly licensed and trained service manager at a honda specific dealer tell me its messed up? i was pissed. i mean, maybe he really didnt know either and was assuming like i was that its a gas gauge that just isnt working, but then again, im not trained to know this shit, let alone paid to be an educated source on the topic of honda bikes. so i almost payed 170 for jack shit. he woulda charged me near 200 dollars and been like "looks ok to me". DERRR!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Supersport Racer

low gas light..... when they comes on and they say you have thirty miles lol sounds like he needs to go back to school and re-certify

The Glory Hole, happiness is just a truck stop away....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have an 04 and I go about 130 and then the display gives me- what 5 or 6 bars for reserve tank. As you use the fuel- the bars blink and go down.

I try hard to not get to that point- I've never run to far on the reserve... but I'm pretty damn sure I couldn't get 30 miles on it. I think one time it came on for real for real and I got less than 15 on it.

You're stealership guy is an idiot. figure out how long you can run on the trip w/o issues- use that. The gauge isn't required.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory_Hole View Post
lol sounds like he needs to go back to school and re-certify
haha, seriously dude. i mean, if id taken it to a suzuki dealer id understand them not being familiar w hondas, but c'mon. and he was the service manager, not just one of the mechanics
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
500 G.P. Champion

dude, how do you think dealerships make money, do you think some dumbass squid with more money then brains (and or fathers paycheck) wouldn't just give him the money and say fix the problem? you have to find one good mechanic and stick with him, stay away from dealerships unless you need oil or chain lube, they will syphon your money from every pocket.

get on your local forum and see who the local guys go to, guaranteed its no damn stealership, fuck those places.

2003 Z1000, bought and sold, (5,000 miles to 30,000)
2006 ZX636R-current (9,000 miles-16k +)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsane125 View Post
you have to find one good mechanic and stick with him, stay away from dealerships unless you need oil or chain lube, they will syphon your money from every pocket.

get on your local forum and see who the local guys go to, guaranteed its no damn stealership, fuck those places.
yeah, thats what im looking to do. last time ill be going there..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Some people would rather take their bikes to the dealer when they need serviced or when something goes wrong. They don't care how much it costs.

Some people spend $50 and buy the factory service manual and wrench their own bike. Having the OEM owner's manual is a good idea also. Both are readily found on ebay.

Just sayin.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
Having the OEM owner's manual is a good idea also. Both are readily found on ebay.

Just sayin.
yeah im gonna grab one soon. also, does anyone know why wikipedia says the f4i has an "amber shift light"? i havent seen one. oh, and whats the red light next to neutral indicator. ive had the bike up close to red line and no lights come on. only time i see red light on is when keys turned to on but engines not running.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I'm guessing the red light is a engine oil warning light.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

The shift light is that small LED looking thing on the upper right of your cluster, next to the tach. It's nearly useless as it's not very bright and I usually can think of other things I should be paying attention to at speed. It comes on about 200 rpm before redline.

I figure I have about 20 miles left when the low fuel bars come on. That's been pretty close. Last week I pushed it until all 4 bars were flashing and only had about .2 gallons left in the tank when I filled, that was about 19 miles after the lights came on.

The service manager probably figured that if you didn't know how your bike operated, he'd make a quick $170.

The information is in your owner's manual, too many people don't read them. What I find funnier is how many people don't even carry them on their bike. I don't need mine often, but if there is ever a question about something - especially on the road - I know exactly where it is.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchlPunk View Post
The information is in your owner's manual, too many people don't read them. What I find funnier is how many people don't even carry them on their bike. I don't need mine often, but if there is ever a question about something - especially on the road - I know exactly where it is.
good advice, couldn't figure out how to get the Z1000's readout out of celsius for like a month.....damn me for just wanting to ride and not do anything else hahaha

2003 Z1000, bought and sold, (5,000 miles to 30,000)
2006 ZX636R-current (9,000 miles-16k +)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Superbike Racer

Yeah...that blinking gauge will make you nuts...mines on the last bar at around 20 miles...after it starts blinking....know this because I
....rode it to my gf's and it blinked all the way down.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 AM
Motorcycle Affectionado

I read somewhere there's a way to turn those reserve bars into a fuel gauge. Is there any truth to that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in