AMA slammed by fans - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Live to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
AMA slammed by fans

Soup :: SouperPoll
make sure you read all answers before voting.
try it now.

[B][COLOR="Lime"]TEAM ALFALFA[/COLOR][/B]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason)

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

dead link
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I can pass this guy...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lolz, worked for me! Love the answers!

[QUOTE]Capitalism defeated Communism. And it's on its way in defeating Democracy.[/QUOTE]

Looking for a first bike? Look no further then a Turbo Busa.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 PM
500 G.P. Champion

What seems to be the problem with ama road racing? I saw on another forum some one making fun of ama too. I honestly have never followed it closely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Superbike Racer

In short, DMG has pushed all the factory support out and they are trying to NASCARize motorcycle racing.

[QUOTE=FZSix828;3778466]btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?[/QUOTE] :beer
Where the bike has taken me...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OrangeJulio on xbl:banana
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Oh it works for me now too, and I'm going with option #5
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy8771 View Post
In short, DMG has pushed all the factory support out and they are trying to NASCARize motorcycle racing.
The rolling starts in the Daytona class were pretty gay, but overall I thought the races were pretty fun to watch, some real good battles with guys like Martin Cardenas, Jason DiSalvo, and Danny Eslick.

The American Superbike series was pretty lame though, I hate watching Mat Mladin destroy everyone.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Coast Rider View Post
The rolling starts in the Daytona class were pretty gay, but overall I thought the races were pretty fun to watch, some real good battles with guys like Martin Cardenas, Jason DiSalvo, and Danny Eslick.

The American Superbike series was pretty lame though, I hate watching Mat Mladin destroy everyone.
The whole safety car/safety bike idea is pretty lame too.

[QUOTE=FZSix828;3778466]btw if the GP bike has no fan how does it get air in for combustion?[/QUOTE] :beer
Where the bike has taken me...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OrangeJulio on xbl:banana
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Yeah it really seems like the stop AMA unnecessarily for minor crashes that in WSBK or MotoGP would not have any effect on the rest of the grid.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Live to ride

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Garage
having the Buell in daytona sportbike offended a lot of people too. I lke Ben Spies' comment about the bike making up 8-10 bike lengths on a straight just isnt right, especially the main way to win races is go Fastest in the Fast parts.

[B][COLOR="Lime"]TEAM ALFALFA[/COLOR][/B]

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason)

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM
World 500 GP Champion

voted. option 5, which is in the lead...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Club Racer

I have very mixed emotions about the AMA/DMG. I like the fact that AMA roadracing is being rum by a group that knows how to market racing and get it on TV. The success of NASCAR shows that these guys know what they are doing regarding the media.

The problem is they don't know anything about motorcycle racing. Instead of leaving most of the rules as they were or even moving to rules even closer to those of WSBK, AMA/DMG created a convoluted series that has no relevance in the world theatre.

Televised racing should be about seeing the best riders on the best bikes. I don't want to watch privateers on basically stock bikes roll around the track.

The other big problem with AMA/DMG is the fact that the rules don't create a good environment for riders to progress to WSBK or MotoGP (I think we can agree that Ben Spies is something special).

That said, I'll still watch any AMA race (and WSBK and MotoGP) I can find on TV. I just love road racing.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
the joke is in your hand

Quoted: 127 Post(s)

hey privateers get my attention even more. these are the guys that leave their jobs to travel to the race and battle it out with teams with 70 times the budget.
it's still anyones sport where anyone can come race.

not like it is with sbk and motogp where you need at least a few million dollars to race.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Wanna-be racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
hey privateers get my attention even more. these are the guys that leave their jobs to travel to the race and battle it out with teams with 70 times the budget.
it's still anyones sport where anyone can come race.

not like it is with sbk and motogp where you need at least a few million dollars to race.

i'm on board with this one but what about smaller circuits? WERA or CCS? How about the kids also who were riding in the Redbull Rookie's Cup and now are backed by teams that appear to have some deep pockets. they're being molded to head over seas, i'm sure of it.. why would they want to stay in the states with such a poor motorcycle racing system?!I think the AMA really has made some poor decisions as mentioned in some previous posts and threads.. i'm interested to see where this series heads in the next 3 years or so considering the major changes they've already made i'm sure there's more on the way.

"It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn."
"i don't give a shit, shit, SHITTT"

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Superbike Champion

To understand the DMG approach to racing, you have to understand the NASCAR approach to racing. The briefest possible summary: Competition is bad. It is undesirable in racing because there are winners and losers.

As in most of life, the outcome of a race is the sum of many, many micro-factors. On a given day, car, driver, strategy, and luck will favor one or a few teams, and they will shit on others. These differences usually reveal themselves well before the checkers fly, and it becomes clear who the racing gods favor that day. Racers themselves understand this and use the motivation of a bad day to turn things around. A win after a long season (or career!) of learning, developing, and working hard to improve finishing position is sweet indeed. Some say that kind of victory is the best reward racing has to offer.

But not everyone sees it that way. Spectators (though not fans) don't want to see a "parade" where the race is pretty much decided halfway through. Nor do TV syndicators, who want to keep eyeballs glued to the screen from beginning to end. Nor do team sponsors who might find themselves out of the limelight too often to justify the expense. So something must be done about this bloody competition that reveals who rules and who drools.

What is needed is randomness: a bunch of cars circling the track without that pesky component of human skill stratifying the field. Cars must be as equal as possible. Eliminate the possibility of engineering a better machine--even in details as seemingly minor as spring rates and differential ratios. Where technical skill can be applied, the ugly possibility of inequality looms.

Reduce the contribution of driver skill. The combination of cars with limited performance and tracks that don't seriously test their acceleration, deceleration, and cornering negates a driver's ability at the edge of the performance envelope. Less skill required, more randomness.

Add the wildcard factor of pit stops. A random element unrelated to actual racing, they tend to shuffle the running order and relieve boredom.

Finally, when all else fails, throw the yellow for phantom "debris". In spite of all the anticompetitive rules, sometimes it all comes together for one or two teams, and they run away from the field. That will not be permitted. Throw the caution. Pack them up again. Keep as many as possible on the lead lap. Force pit stops that just might go wrong for the leaders. Give other teams a chance to make car adjustments. Re-equalize the field.

After hours of random pulling ahead, falling behind, and lead-swapping, it comes down to a photo finish, and someone ekes out a millisecond win. And the TV guy says: "Wow! What a race! After 500 miles of intense competition, the margin of victory is half a fender!" In fact, there was very little competitive about it. The finish was the product of 50 years of experience in suppressing competition for 499 miles, and then letting it all hang out for the final 30 seconds.

I think that's the vision DMG has for US motorcycle racing. I doubt they can pull it off. They'll try real hard to force motorcycles into the same mold and ruin the sport in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in