The Right Line... - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Just Kiss The Tip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question The Right Line...

Okay...typically if you take a right corner a good line would be to line up to the outside of that corner, take apex on the inside of the corner, and exit the corner on the outside of that corner....pretty basic.

BUT I am still trying to wrap my head around taking TWO consecutive corners that are in opposite directions...left than right or right than left. If you go into the first corner Outside-Inside-Outside...when you get to the next corner you are already at the INSIDE of it....

So how do you line up to take the next corner? If you try to get to the outside of the 2nd corner after coming out of the 1st it seems you would be wasting space... I am just doing a mental exercise while watching GP...

Best photo I could find....sorry.

"What do you value more? Life or Image?"

Last edited by TalkofDC; 06-22-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM
SV650 WEEEEEEEE

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You need to look far enough ahead and position yourself with the right amount of braking to be able to go from the outside of turn #1 (Inside of turn #2) and take the second corner out wide with a glorius flick of your body and thus the bike. I actually love the feeling of doing this, but I don't know of any corners so closely together as you are stating here. To me it seems to all be entering speed and braking, as well as reading the road/track ahead of you....then processing all that info and spitting out a set of commands to your extremities and creating a smooth efficient transition from the first corner to the second. I'd imagine it would take a few tries till your reactions smooth out.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i - My grocery list is RICE
2012 Suzuki Weeeeeee-Strom!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
500 G.P. Champion

It depends on what come before and after the corners and just how fast you want to go. If there is a long striaght that is esential to get a good run onto it for final top speed you would enter the first corner wide exit tight so you are in the right section of the track/road to get the secound corner right. if they are more kinks you can try and use the bike narrowness to striaght line the lot. If the secound corner is closing radius you would use wide entry mid corner exit to maximise speed through the first corner because you are going loose a lot of speed in the secound corner so getting it right is not so critical. Basically it depends on the exact section what is before it what is after it are you racing or road riding can you see through the corners camber changes road markings is there crap on the road so on and so forth. Individual riders will have different ideas of how to take a combination.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Just Kiss The Tip

Thanks guys, I actually grabbed a pin and paper to draw this one out. Your responses were right on with what I was thinking. It seems that this is what "taking the right line" is all about. I initially thought there was a hard fast answer, but it's relative and while there really is NO RIGHT LINE, there are certain lines that would allow you to be faster or slower...and that is still relative to your riding style.

Nero...It makes sense that if you take the first corner exit and keep tight opposed to swing outside as much you would position yourself to be on the outside of the second corner. Probably to most practical for us not pro riders/racers.

THIS THREAD CAN BE CLOSED UNLESS ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO COMMENT. I FOUND THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR...THANKS NERO, THANKS CABANA

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Actually it's funny you bring this up. At VIR, there is such a sequence where it's a hard left and a quick right. Here's a pic of the track map:

Turns 4 and 5 are the ones I'm talking about that are part of the North Course. The turn in point to set up this series of corners is right at the outside corner of turn 4 where the corner just begins. Then you dip into th inside edge where the rumble strips are. The set up for turn 5 and the turn in point is actually half way between 4 and 5 but in the middle of the track. This will set you up to hit the apex of the turn 5 in the inside of the corner which then allows you to drift out to 5a for the next turn in point.

The left right motion of this series of corners is fun yet challenging as you only have about 30-40 feet after turning in from turn 4 before you have to immediately set up for turn 5. If you blow the turn in point after turn 4 (or even at turn 4), you're screwed all the way up to turn 7.

I finally figured out how to go faster through this series of turns by doing a pre-setup before the turn in point going into 5. It was tough as I'm leaned over to the left after turn 4 but have to push myself out towards the right just be I start to give a push on the right handle bar to start the turn in to turn 5.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Just Kiss The Tip

maybe the secret is to just stay tight coming out of the first corner instead of swinging outside (Outside-Inside-Inside?) no?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
maybe the secret is to just stay tight coming out of the first corner instead of swinging outside (Outside-Inside-Inside?) no?
On the two dimesion map that would look to be the ticket, turn five and 5a look a lot faster so getting turn 5 right looks to be more important than 4. If you want a tight exit you need to apex seriously late maybe the last third of the corner, if you are racing this may not be ideal as you leave the door open for someone up the inside. As I said before however what works for one person won't work for others and obiously we can't see track width camber changes or elevation changes which will affect the ideal line.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
The fast guys were all running about the same line which was to start the initial turn in for turn 4 right about where the E in Left Hook is listed on the map. The next turn in point for turn 5 is where the first O in Hook is listed. This would allow me to nail the apex of turn 5 and allow me to drift out my bike to turn 5a where I would turn in on the outside of the corner in towards the snake which comprises turn 6 and 6a. Turns 6 and 6a are interesting as they really arent' full turns or corners. I pretty much draw a straight line down the middle and wack the throttle as soon as I start to stand the bike up coming out of turn 5a.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
500 G.P. Champion

I'm surprised noone has said what he actually needs to do. This kind of turn requires a LATE APEX.

Here's some quick info I found through google.

TurnFast! • Cornering

Plus, click on the cornering pictures:
TurnFast! • Cornering Examples B
TurnFast! • Cornering Examples A

That should explain it pretty well. Now the thread can be closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil

We know you're a unique and special snowflake. We know you're the exception to the rule. We know you're not like all those other dumb assed n00bs that wadded themselves up. You're a mold breaker, babe! You're a natural. You were born to tear it up on a hot rod stuntin' superbike.

You're not a moron, you're just misunderstood.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Part 3 begins

Proficient Motorcycling is a great book - really gets into the physics of it.

07 Ninja 650R 17K Miles (SOLD)
---> 04 Ninja 636 10K Miles (SOLD)
---> 05
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1000 12K Miles (CURRENT)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Diablo View Post
It depends on what come before and after the corners and just how fast you want to go. If there is a long striaght that is esential to get a good run onto it for final top speed you would enter the first corner wide exit tight so you are in the right section of the track/road to get the secound corner right.
+1 on this. Many tracks have this kind of chicane on them, and the first turn is usually a throwaway. If there's a straight after the chicane, you basically want to set up for the second turn so you can get on the power early and launch into the straight.

Adam
#583 NESBA Intermediate
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Just Kiss The Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoColorShoe View Post
I'm surprised noone has said what he actually needs to do. This kind of turn requires a LATE APEX.

Here's some quick info I found through google.

TurnFast! • Cornering

Plus, click on the cornering pictures:
TurnFast! • Cornering Examples B
TurnFast! • Cornering Examples A

That should explain it pretty well. Now the thread can be closed!
WHOOO....

I am excited after reading all of that. Thanks

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Go-Cart Mozart

+1

Nice information!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoGaborio
Being the "big shot" in beginner group is like being a retard w/ the nicest helmet. You're still slow.
"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in