Detached vs. Attached garage? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Awesomeness, Inc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Detached vs. Attached garage?

Hey guys. This is sorta bike-related, so I'm posting it in this forum. I'm 24, single, and browsing the housing market now, looking to buy a house in the semi-near future. I've been checking out to see what's on the market, doing drive-by's of houses that look decent in online ads.

My main requirement in a house is a garage. I'd like garage space for my car, a 2001 Sentra, and my bikes. So ideally, i'd be looking for a 2-car garage... or a 1-car garage plus a walk-out basement, so i could keep the car in the garage and bikes in the basement. In the houses I've seen in ads, they've probably been about 50/50 with attached and detached garages. I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to what they'd personally prefer, and reasons for their preference.

Currently, I'm living with my parents, we have a 2 car attached garage, where parents' cars are parked, with an extra 8' x 8' space of storage (where i keep the bikes, my car in the driveway). It seems like the attached garage would be more convenient, not having to go out in the weather to get to the car, or to go get tools from the garage.

Anyone have any input? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Lowlife

I think you already have your answer...Naturally the attached is a more convinient option. When you have inclement weather, you don't have to trapse a distance in order to get to your vehicle.

I have a 2 car garage with a later added on 3rd...I often need to go to the garage to get a tool or whatever....it sucked running to one of the unattached garages at my last house. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that I am pleased with attached garages.

The advantages to the unattached garages were that I could store /spill fuel or start a motor up and run it without getting exhaust fumes inside the house. It doesn't bother me so much, but the wife always give me the eye...and the lecture.

Homes with attached garages are generally more costly, but I think it's worth the money. When you sell the house, it will be more desirable to buyers also over a similar home with an unattached or no garage.

Try to take my guns...and i will stab you.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Official SBN Party Pooper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a 2car attached garage, but everyone in this area does. I kinda like it personally. For me though I don't have the issue of inclement weather to get in the way of walking a distance.

U.S. Navy Veteran

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Wear your gear!!!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
old member

Attached is more convenient. Carrying groceries from the car to the house in the rain is great if the whole pathway is covered. About the only advantage I can think of for a detached garage is spread of fire. If you accidentally set your garage on fire, it's a less likely to spread to the house depending on the distance of separation.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Superbike Champion

I think your taxes are also affected by this with the attached garage being deemed part of the house whereas the detached garage is not counted for that.

I've got a detached garage now and I like it. It works better with the property and my dream house/garage is detached...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Okay...our house sucks..

its attached, but not accessible from the house. our house is ABOVE our garage...
imagine a house built into a hill
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Womb Raider

on a side-note... Congrats for moving out of your parents house at the ripe age of 24!

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Supersport Racer

I know insurance is more for a garage attached to the house, atleast from what my mom has told me and shes worked at an insurance agency for 20 years. Now with that said, being Im only 21, with me living with my parents while I go to school, it sucks having a garage attached to the house. I have a 4 car garage at the house and starting up and running the bike sometimes the fumes travel into the house, but not always. Also, if you are planning on getting married and or having kids in the future, think about working on stuff late at night and waking them up, (tools being dropped, air tools especially,etc) I know once 11 oclock hits my house I dont work on anything that could wake my parents up, later on the weekends but you get the idea. But like I said thats if you are planning on getting married and having kids. On a side note though, it is nice to pull into the garage in the rain or snow and never get wet
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

Insurance is more Expensive with an Attached vs non Attached Garage. The bigger the Garage the better the resail. Two car garages are not even a big deal anymore three car garages are a little more of the rage, believe it or not this is an important decision, so go for the house with the biggest garage you can find, you will also thank yourself for having extra room to tinker with your toys in.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Go Dawgs

i want one of each
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox101 View Post
Okay...our house sucks..

its attached, but not accessible from the house. our house is ABOVE our garage...
imagine a house built into a hill
Seen places like that. You have to go out a side man door heading outside and then into your house. Dumb design..

Personally Id be looking for a place that has a 24' x 24' 2 car garage at minimum. Hell I could put like 8 bikes plus 2 vehicles in ours. Im not a fan of smaller 2 car garages (20'x22', 20'x24' etc)

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Usually the detached is BEHIND the house, which may mean you'll need to gate the drive for the kids/dogs, which works for some people, but not for lazy people as they have to deal with the gate twice a day. I like the gate as the dogs cover the cages/motos.

The attached suburb garage deal opens right on the street so everyone sees your stuff; I have this situation currently and don't like it, but live on a dead end street with not much traffic so it's not bad, but it's a good area so it works out.

Ideally, I like the country situation where the entire house/garage is fenced with drive gates locked, so the dogs can run/watch and no one can accidentally let them out (with locked gates).

I had the above with two properties and didn't know how much I loved it until this new house.

Ride and Wind
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
old member

Our oversized 2 car garage is attached with an open but covered breezeway between the garage and the house (continuous roof). The breezeway isn't quite large enough to park a car, but bikes are no problem. It's the best of both.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phail View Post
Seen places like that. You have to go out a side man door heading outside and then into your house. Dumb design..

Personally Id be looking for a place that has a 24' x 24' 2 car garage at minimum. Hell I could put like 8 bikes plus 2 vehicles in ours. Im not a fan of smaller 2 car garages (20'x22', 20'x24' etc)
I got a 24x24 and hate the damn thing. Can barely fit the truck in with the workbench in the front, not enough room to comfortably park cars side by side.
My last garage was 28x36, now that was a garage.......
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
500 G.P. Champion

I have an unattached garage beside the house and like it.

I believe there is more space in the garage that way because things like water heaters and such don't get stuck in the garage.

Plus, I don't have to worry about fumes from anything getting into the house.

Shop around - there are lots of house configurations and one will suit you.

MGM - '05 FJR Pilot, CBR 954RR Boy Racer

I now live in motorcycling paradise

Last edited by KatanaMike; 06-10-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in