Sport Bikes banner

How much money for a little bit of fuel?

3K views 86 replies 52 participants last post by  LDS 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
It may sound like an ugly question... But I am serious!
Here in Italy we pay about 1.4 Euros for 1 litre of fuel
(how do you call it by the way? fuel? gas? petrol?)

And I was just wondering how much you do pay...

Please, let me know something from the beautiful USA ;-)

#7 ·
Here in the middle of USA (Kansas City) for the lowest grade which is 87. It's about $3.10 *USD* per gallon or .48 Euros per liter. It would be really cheap for you to come over here for a vaction if you wanted. I know a lot of Europeans are coming here since the Euro is so much stronger than the US Dollar.

$8.50*USD* is what most of Europe is paying for a gallon... And the US is complaining about gas being over $3.00?... Something seems wrong.

#13 ·
$8.50*USD* is what most of Europe is paying for a gallon... And the US is complaining about gas being over $3.00?... Something seems wrong.
That's just spoiled Americans giving unspoiled Americans a bad name because they feel entitled.

Apparently companies are supposed to sell you things at whatever price you desire. That's pretty awesome. I want Chevy to stop gouging and start selling me a brand new Z06 for $50.

#8 ·
Ok, so €1.4 = $2.14, and 1 gallon = 3.79L, so Redeagle is paying $8.11 per gallon. :eek:

So in the states, for all our bitching, we're still paying less than half what our European friends are getting shafted for.

Furthermore, since oil and fuel products are a global commodity, I have to assume that practically all of the price differential is all taxes.

#12 ·
They aint getting shafted. It's always been like that. They tax the hell out of it. Get a small, manual car and you get great gas milage. But in the USA people are too lazy to learn how to drive a manual, or don't want small cars because you aint a MAN till you have a HUGE 4x4 truck you'll never use...

And yes, I drive a small, manual truck with 2 wheel drive. 0-60 in about a minute.

#21 ·
So if someone gets REALLLLY Badly ripped off, we can't complain when we get badly ripped off??

Gas was 89 cents a gallon in 1998, why, 10 years later, has the price jumped up 400%, can we say BUSH ADMINISTRATION GOOD JOB

#24 ·
LOL when there is no answer-blame the Bush. Aside from normal inflation due to population, Advanced technologies and yada yada, it would be ignorant to blame one person for the price of todays fuel-especially using a 10 year gap.

There are tons of reasons why the fuel is over $3 a gallon, one of them being the Bush administration-but in reality, people were bitching about $1.00 gas in 1998.
I can bet the next president wont make a dent in the fuel inflation.

#25 ·
How many barrels of oil does the US buy compared to say, France or Germany?

How many refineries are located in, say, France or Germany?

There might be a reason that the gas is cheaper in the US. We are paying a lot COMPARED TO WHAT WE HAVE historically. That is one of the reasons we complain.

We use a lot more and have to buy a lot more than the rest of the world. That alone should make it cheaper.

#26 ·
$1.00 / gallon gas in 1998 to $4.00 / gallon gas in 2008 is not "normal inflation." Tell me what else has gone up 400% in cost from 1998 to 2008.

Huge bundles of money from pension fund investors, and from speculative investors who are looking for places to place their money are to blame for the current oil costs per barrel. They are putting hundreds of billions of dollars in to funds that buy oil and trade it as a paper commodity. If you look at the funds of oil as paper traded investments, in 2000 the entire market was $9 billion. Now it's over $250 billion.

That's several months worth of oil demand artificially added to the market. The entire globe buys around $8 or $9 billion a day, so you're talking about several billion dollars of artificial "demand" that comes from investors who are afraid of inflation and the sinking value of the US dollar, and disparately looking to make money in a shit economy.

#31 ·
my kawi dealer has an 03 zx9 setup for the track, every time i see that bike :drool

oh yeah, gas prices are rising, and for some reason i still go to the gas station with the highest prices, but i like the owners, oh well, need to start riding more cuz my truck aint cuttin it at 18mpg. and yes, i use my truck to haul stuff, like twice a year :neener

#39 ·
When I grew up in Austria for 4 years from 1991-1995 gas was about $4.00 USD a gallon (this is from memory). We mostly bought our gas at the US Embassy for $2.50 a Gallon. At the time in the US it was around .88 cents a gallon. The cost on local gas was high because most of it was taxes. Then again the Roads in Austria were wonderfull, you never saw potholes and the pavement always seemed to be relayed every so often, more so then what you see in the US. Then again they have a lot less roads and they repave them on a Federal level and not a state level.

Also 99.99% of the locals do not drive even if they own a vehicle. They take public transportation to and from work, to the store, and to go out on the town. Peoples cars last forever there. I remember one school friend that is very wealthy and his parents car was a 15 year old BMW that looked mint with like 20K Kilometers on it. To them driving 10-15 miles outside of the city to their country house once a month was considered FAR. When europeans travel they take the train, or the plane...you can get a EuroPass for a few hundred dollars and ride all summer long, just show up at a train station and show your pass and jump on a train to wherever you want to go.

However you would never see this is the US. Public transit is looked at as for the POOR. Someone here rather drive a F350 and bitch about the price of gas even if they had the option to take public because to them here it means they are POOR and not deserving of a vehicle. Plus it does not help most states have very poor public transit systems in place.

I myself do not complain about the gas prices here in the US. I laugh at those that do, especially on a motorcycle forum where it still even with higher prices cost nothing to fill up when compared to a car or a Truck.

:cheers

#63 ·
The usefulness and economic sense of public transit depends *very strongly* on population density. Europe as a whole has about 50% more people than the U.S., in about 2/3 the space, giving about twice the population density overall. In addition, most European cities were built long before motorized transport, and are thus much more closely packed, again making public transport a reasonable solution. In most of America, and especially the West Coast, public transport just doesn't work well because everything is too spread out and there aren't enough people that all want to go from the same places to the same other places at the same time.

As well, private transportation is such a benefit in so many ways to living your own live how you choose. I think the internal combustion engine is responsible for a great amount of the freedom and prosperity that modern people enjoy.

It's nice that we in America don't (yet) have to suffer quite the crushing levels of government and taxation that Europeans do, but there are plenty of people working hard to change that.

PhilB

#40 ·
Hate to say it R1100S rider, but I am a full size, big V8, automatic truck driving consumer.
My F150 gets ~11.5mpg. My dads sequoia gets ~13.8-14.0mpg BUT, I use the bed of my truck at least once a week and it gets towing duty fairly often, and so does my dad's sequoia.

I know my truck burns a lot of gas, but my dad doesn't mind paying it (I has a gas card), and he never really asks me to ride my bike instead of my truck. Oh the benefits of being the youngest child and having a loving dad who owns a law firm. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.