MSF ERC: Is there a point? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Slowpoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MSF ERC: Is there a point?

My dad REALLY wants me to take it. Will it really help me? From what I've heard its nothing but low speed maneuvers. He wants me to do it in the name of keeping me alive.

Of course better control of your motorcycle is only going to help, but I'm not that worried about breaking both my legs and getting paralyzed by a little 5mph incident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 4,463 Times in 2,435 Posts
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

1. It wont' hurt taking it
2. Might help with your insurance rates
3. It'll make your dad happy
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Theres no I in threesome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Its just a refresher class and you ride your own bike.

I dont think its necessary if you have a decent number of miles under your belt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FZ6 moderator
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Did your dad buy this bike? He really wants you to do it, it makes him feel better, and he bought the bike for you while you live under his roof then I'd do it out of respect for him. Small chance you won't learn anything but theres a signifigant chance you will.

--Bryan--AKA--Rushleesta--
--F*ck Winter!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanglowejohnson
LOL SBN Ball Breaking...I think that should be a new olympic sport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediron
And so, while searching for an intellegent post with which to be entertained and perhaps intellectually challenged, I am reminded once again why there are laws against matrimonial bliss within ones own family.
Rest In Peace, KH. You will be missed, friend.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
I can pass this guy...

I've never heard anyone (Who just started riding, or have a few miles) that have not learned something from the MSF course.

You would be surpised how many people get hurt going at low speeds, and how bad they are hurt!

Plus, most insurance companies will give you a discount if you take the MSF course!

Quote:
Capitalism defeated Communism. And it's on its way in defeating Democracy.
Looking for a first bike? Look no further then a Turbo Busa.
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:32 PM
A guy on a scruffy bike

Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,830 Posts

It is definitely worthwhile. It is mostly low speed stuff, but includes exercises in swerving and accident avoidance, controlling a rear wheel skid, and proper sight lines (high visual horizon, avoiding target fixation). It also provides an independent experienced observer to help you avoid bad habits and develop good ones.

I've taken it three times, and have benefited each time. I know very experienced riders who take it every year to get the instructor feedback and as a reminder of good riding habits.

So yes, take it, learn something, and make your father happy. Everybody wins.

PhilB

"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." -- Carl Schurz, (1829-1906) German born U.S. Senator and Union Army general during the US Civil War

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

'93 Ducati "Ferrari of Motorcycles" Monster 900; 229,000 miles so far
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 PM
World 500 GP Champion

There is absolutely a point, and here it is:

The ERC provides the opportunity for you to demonstrate your skills for an experienced instructor. He or she will be able to tell you what good habits you've attained and point out bad habits that you may have acquired. I recommend that everyone take it after a year or so for just this reason.

Though some might argue, you simply don't learn much about street survival at the track. The "streets" are wide, traffic is controlled and everyone is going in the same direction. While you might learn something about maximum braking and turning, practicing these skills under track conditions also offers little benefit in dealing with street survival situations. Only MSF classes (and comparable curricula) address the things you need to know when something goes wrong.

Make a deal with him. Tell him you'll take the ERC with him if he takes Total Control with you.

-- Jim

|
|
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Slowpoke

First off, I paid for half of this bike.

Now, here is the thing I'm worried about:
I've ridden 2 miles on my SV...and that was during the test ride. My dad hasn't let me ride it 2 feet since I've gotten it home. I'm not used to it at all. I don't want to go take the MSF where I'm supposed to put my bike through its low-speed paces and possibly crash and rash it up. (it has ONE scratch on it right now)

I mean, is that a legitimate concern?

I've heard of people crashing before during MSF thats why I'm worried.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
LDS
Unregistered User

If you're afraid you're gonna crash in an ERC, you've got no business being on the street.

Think about what you posted. You think you're too good or too experienced to derive any benefit from the class, but you're afraid those simple maneuvers are going to make you crash?

I too, have nothing of value to add to this thread...

post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Womb Raider

SVs are easy to control at low speeds. if you're worried about crashing it, then maybe you ought to consider taking the beginner course? if you think you're experienced enough to skip the ERC, you should have no concerns about crashing. btw, which sv did you decide on?

edit: DAMMIT, lds beat me to the point. he must be a smart fella...
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
auh
500 GP Racer

Have you taken the BRC yet???

Bike: 2001 Honda RC-51(not so stock)

Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4
post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 AM

If you learn one thing that avoids an accident, injury or death later, then the course will be worth it.

I think I can say with absolute certainity that you will learn at least one thing you didn't know about riding a motorcycle if you take the course. All of the low speed techniques learned are used when riding faster, so that argument that "I don't ride a 5 m.p.h." is null and void.

The worse case senario is you spend some time hanging out with people who are also interested in riding.

If you end up laying down your bike (which is unlikely), at least you'll be doing it in a controlled environment instead of on the streets where things get worse quickly. And if you do lay it down in the controlled environment, you may wish to practice your skills a bit before taking your bike out on the roads.

My opinion has always been that the essence of real riding is continual improvement one's ability to ride and one's knowledge of riding. Be that physical riding skills (turning, accelerating and stopping), safety techniques or in road or racetrack techniques. Making yourself a better, safer rider is what makes the sport so fun (not to mention addicting).
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Turbo nerd.

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Garage
I'm active duty military and was required to take it anyway...for the forth time.

I thought it was fucking great getting a day off to ride my bike and hang out. Now I'm qualified to instruct so I get MORE days off to ride and love it anyway.
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Superbike Racer

I understand how you feel about using your bike in the ERC. I would not expect to drop it, but I know it could happen, and I'd feel like hell if it did.

At 17, sounds like it would be easy to propose taking the Basic course, using their bike, learning stuff, satisfying the Dad, and getting you out on the road on the SV.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Slowpoke

I'm nervous because I have only ridden it 2 miles. My dad has yet to let me ride it since I brought it home. Are you going to try and tell me that I'm supposed to feel 100% comfortable on a bike I have hardly ridden? I wouldn't have had any reservations doing it on my ninja because I have been riding it for a year.

I got the 04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in