Yamaha Seca II and FZ6 forums - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yamaha Seca II and FZ6 forums

I had a site for the FZ6 but I'm at work and was trying to search but alas found nothing relating to what I needed.

Also can't find anything on the Seca II either so if ya'll know any good forums could ya'll please list them

Zaidon,NWS,Fallujah, Amaryah,Farris Town
Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymista
I had a site for the FZ6 but I'm at work and was trying to search but alas found nothing relating to what I needed.

Also can't find anything on the Seca II either so if ya'll know any good forums could ya'll please list them
I used to own a Seca II. It was a great bike! I had house projects that needed do-ing, though, so I sold it for less than I should have.

XJ600 SECA II :: Index

That's a pretty decent Seca forum. That's where I had my questions answered about its issues, mostly regarding the carburetors. It's a good little bike - well-suited to commuter duty, and it's reliable as anything out there. It's ridiculously simple to work on, too; I have yet to come across a more simple motor vehicle.

Mine cost $1225, and included the center stand that some folks say is a bit of a rarity, though, I see center stands on lots of them. I sold it for $1400 after doing a "ten cent rejet" and some carburetor cleaning on it. Worked like a charm with exception of a couple bugs. But it always started, always ran, and got me about 51mpg overall. It had just enough get-up to have some fun with, and just enough brakes and suspension to have fun with, as well. Just realize that it's no FZ6.

My favorite thing about the Seca II is its seat. It's insanely comfortable for a stock seat, for my weight, at least. I could spend HOURS on it, and feel great. After about 100 miles on my 250's seat, I'm practically weeping in agony.

If you want to know anything at all about the Seca II, just ask. I got intimately familiar with just about every aspect of mine.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=Skankhair]
Does anyone know how to kill someone with their mind? I'd like to learn how.[/QUOTE]

The cannons blazing, with their blast the Spanish ship is sinking fast.

Last edited by Repeater; 11-07-2007 at 09:42 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

Thats one reason I was looking at them is its a 600cc bike that is last gen so its about the same as a modern 500cc.

I like the looks especially with an aftermarket lower fairing. Plus I know nothing about bikes as far as maintenance and I hear they are bullet proof and easy to work on and since it would be older I wouldn't worry about messing anything up.

What bugs were you talking about? If I found one that didn't have a center stand will any standard center stand work on them. What is the 10cent rejet. I did read how they are really cold blooded and the rejet or if you spend say 200 for a complete rejet you'll be fine.

I also like how they have more than enough get up and go for a new rider, has enough power to keep me interested for a long time and once I go for a new bike I'll keep it as a track bike.

In stock form how is the riding position? Can you get different bars later to make it more aggressive? Other than the carbs what other issues seem to be common on like 92-94s?

thanks for the help.

Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Dirty Sanchez

for the fz6, just visit here, it's one of the more active areas of this site:
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 10:19 AM
BIRDMAN

What Repeater said is all true. Good easy bike to live with. It was my first machine and served me well.
Wouldn't be a great track bike though. In that role the FZ6 is miles ahead.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

Yea see I'm just looking for a good starter bike that will be easy to start on, yet not give me that "wtf I need more speed" feeling after 6mos, plus I'd get to know the inner workings of a bike.

Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM
BIRDMAN

Well I will say after about 6 months I did trade it for a first year sv650s.
Wouldn't rule that one out of your shop list. You'll be satisfied with it for much longer.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

I don't really like the looks of the SV, and I'm more of a fan of high revs vs lots of torque so I'd rather have a bike thats great to learn on, easy to work on so I learn how to tinker with a bike then move up to maybe an FZ6 or CBR in a year or so.

I mean the Seca is fast enough to beat most cars so speed wont REALLY be an issue.

Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Mess with the Bull.....

Thanked 1,761 Times in 967 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by apor
for the fz6, just visit here, it's one of the more active areas of this site:
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6/
+1...Our FZ6 forum is one of the best I've ever seen...

SBN Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to PM me with any questions or concerns
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM

I had a Seca 2 for 7 yrs. Jet kit & K&N filter improve performance. It was good for about 120mph. A very good choice for a first bike.Last yr.produced was 1997
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

I've been trying to find late model Seca II's but all I seem to find are 92 and 93 for some reason.

I need to check the NADA value of say a 95-97 one.

Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymista
I've been trying to find late model Seca II's but all I seem to find are 92 and 93 for some reason.

I need to check the NADA value of say a 95-97 one.
NADA value won't be significantly different. They were sold here from 1992 to 1998, which wasn't very long at all.

The older ones, provided they've been maintained, will serve to save you a few bucks while getting the same bike. The only thing that was changed at all was the fairing - they added a couple of fake air scoops in 1994, which didn't do anything for the looks or performance at all.

I just remembered one more nice thing about the Seca II. It's like a damn pack mule. There's just room for luggage and crap on it everywhere, especially since it has the integrated tail rack behind the seat. It's an excellent low-budget touring bike!

The other folks are right, too - they are NOT a track bike. You could ride one on a track on fun days, but it's too soft for really hard work all the time, and power delivery is pretty soft, as well. Straight-line performance is on par with a Ninja 500R.

Keep this in mind, as well - the lower fairing and chin fairing are nearly impossible to find nowadays. If you buy a Seca with the intent to add a fairing, you need to search for any fairing you can find, then probably have its color matched to your bike. They're rare, to say the least.

Putting lower bars on it is possible, but you have to mind the clearance from the bars to the tank at full lock - there's not a lot of room there to begin with, and lower bars WILL contact the tank. It was certainly never intended to be a lean-over sportbike.

More :
Any center stand will not work on them - the Yamaha model is the only one that was really ever for sale here. If the bike doesn't have one, you're off to either scrounge Ebay for a take-off from another Seca II, or you're off to buy a rear stand for the swingarm.

The "10 cent rejet" is the process of correcting the lean condition that all Seca IIs were inflicted with from the factory. You'd need to adjust the float heights, drill out and adjust the mixture screws, and shim the main needles. It's not hard, if you have any familiarity with carburetors.

Stock, the riding position is nearly exactly the same as the FZ6, just with a bit more leg room. It leans you forward only ever-so-slightly. If you've ever sat on an FZ6, imagine that, only with a seat that doesn't feel like it was created on the 7th level of Hell...

[QUOTE=Skankhair]
Does anyone know how to kill someone with their mind? I'd like to learn how.[/QUOTE]

The cannons blazing, with their blast the Spanish ship is sinking fast.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Jen
Club Racer

I had a '92 Seca II for a few years and passed it on to my husband once he got his endorsement. I paid $1400 in 2003 and sold it in 2006 for $1400 after putting about 10,000 additional miles on it. Never put a dime into it other than having the fork rebuilt with RaceTech springs. I highly recommend having this done. The stock shocks on the Seca II are terrible, especially after having a few miles on them. They have a tendency to dive in corners and during hard braking. It's a relatively cheap mod that will more than pay for itself in safety and rideability. Great bike and cheap insurance, enjoy!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
HEHATEME

Jen- So for like just commuting and general beginner riding what suspension mods do you suggest that are fairly cheap. How much did the race tech springs cost and is it something that with a bit of effort that can be done on your own. Also what is some good rubber that is good all around but won't lose 80% traction in the cold?

Repeater-Thats good to hear it can haul a lot of stuff since I have to take a laptop and a few other things that I usually use a messenger bag and a backpack.

As far as power delivery what do you mean by soft? Is it really linear, or does it never feel like you really are getting any real power?

As far as bars I'm only 68" so leg room shouldn't be a problem.

Now about the center stand I'm still a noob, so what do you mean by I'd have to get a rear stand for the swing arm?

Thanks for all the info so far.

Operation Southern Fire
2/2 Easy Co Warlords
RCT-8 II MEF Forward
OIF III
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM
BIRDMAN

By soft power he means there isn't much of it and it doesn't come in with a kick anywhere. Linear and not overwhelming is a good way to describe it. That said since it was my first bike there was enough power there to scare me at times, in the first few months at least. I'd say a well set up bike would be lucky to see 50hp out the back( vs the sv's 70 or so). What ultimately made me swap mine were the short comings in the chassis, suspension and brakes. You can make all these things better but it really wasn't worth the investment for me over getting an sv. If you were to overhaul the suspension you'd be looking at springs and valves at the front and a new shock at the back. Doing one end and not the other doesn't really work out that well.
And if you are fond of high rev 4s this really isn't one of them. Not sure but I wouldn't be suprised if the sv revs more than this old 2 valve motor.
Don't be put off though the seca is a very useful tool for transport. In Europe they were called the Diversion 600, there also was a 900, and were very well regarded as commuter bikes.
Center stand or not don't worry about it as you can just get a rear stand that will work with any future bikes you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in