Stunt riders at Pro events... - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
The Coconut Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Stunt riders at Pro events...

Was just at the AMA races at Laguna Seca last weekend. Both days during the lunch break they had stunt riders performing on the main straightaway for 15-20 minutes doing all the stuff that squids just love to do.

My question is: Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of "show" shouldn't be included in a pro sports venu? I mean, pro racers are on course zinging around at mach speeds for the entertainment. Why does the public need or have to have this kind of ridiculous behaviour that obviously spills over onto the public roadway? Some of the crowd are young and impressionable so they look at this kind of thing as "way cool", then go out and fuck up doing these stupid pet tricks.

Just my two bits.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Superbike Racer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Playing devils advocate, same thing can be said about racing. People watch it and try the same things on the road. Not sure about where you are from but I see more people getting hurt trying to be Johnny racer around these parts.

I love both stunting and racing and they should both be on a "pro venu". It takes a ton of talent for both.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Nurse Nymphette

I don't see anything wrong with having a stunters show during the offtimes at a racing event. I love watching the stunters and as the previous person stated, it takes tremondous talent to do either!!

Diana AKA ANKLEESTA

Proud member of the Pussy Posse 2005

Just call me Head Nurse...

I adore Chicago. It is the pulse of America.
- - - Sarah Bernhardt

My Old Avatar Was Courtesy of Shawn "Krazy Hawaiian" McCallister. RIP My Friend, I'll be thinking of you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roch
Playing devils advocate, same thing can be said about racing. People watch it and try the same things on the road. Not sure about where you are from but I see more people getting hurt trying to be Johnny racer around these parts.

I love both stunting and racing and they should both be on a "pro venu". It takes a ton of talent for both.
Very well said......Man why do most people have to equate stunting with squids? That is a very ignorrant assumption. And to the OP Pro Stunters are actually drawing crowds comparable to the racing venues you and I both love.....How about not adding to the stunter/racer hatred and have a little more open mind about things. As you can see from my AV I do both....Just because you race it does not mean you can't or don't like to stunt.

Ride It Like You Stole It!!

AKA-Fearleesta!!!

For a man to be afraid of dying, he must first have something to live for...........
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
The Coconut Man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No, I can see it takes tremendous talent to do the stunts. Handstand while doing a burnout? Yup. And all the other moves that they do take many hours of practice, totally agree. I knew I was going to hit a nerve here with some of you that take it more seriously than others. I just see a lot of needless injuries and deaths around my parts and when I see stunts during a professionally held race with families in attendance and I question it. If everyone could see that it takes a bike that is adjusted to perform in that manner and that the riders themselves are pros, yeah, go for it. But the implication I see is that, hell I can do that and then go out and try to duplicate it.
This wasn't meant to be a slam against squids or associate it with those type of riders (although I guess I did). Just a discussion.......
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Your friendly antagonist

Youd think speed related incidents on the highway would be more dangerous than most stunt related incidents. While I don't agree with both on public roads, both racing and stunting on closed courses send out the same vibes to the younger more impressionable crowd.

Guys who see people going fast on the track may want to ride home alittle quicker on their way back, guys seeing people doing wheelies and endos may want to attempt a couple on their way home. Both speeding and stunting are illegal.

I think what people should take from both examples at this event is that they're being done on a closed course, if anyone can take anything from these events its hopefully that if they want to practice either of these they should do it on a closed course.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
make wheelies

and people leaving racing events arent influenced to race on their way home after seeing the day's events? please

you just dont like stunting, and this has nothing to do with whether it should be at an event like this or not. admit it.

disclaimer: anything i say can be wrong. anything i say in the above post cannot and will not be used against me. all comments void after 24 hours. under some circumstances i may be lying. under other circumstances, comments may be full of shit. use your best judgement. i am not at fault for any harm or death caused to you or your loved ones.

$1 for my thoughts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth7
Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:07 PM
make wheelies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayingElliott
I think what people should take from both examples at this event is that they're being done on a closed course, if anyone can take anything from these events its hopefully that if they want to practice either of these they should do it on a closed course.
precisely

disclaimer: anything i say can be wrong. anything i say in the above post cannot and will not be used against me. all comments void after 24 hours. under some circumstances i may be lying. under other circumstances, comments may be full of shit. use your best judgement. i am not at fault for any harm or death caused to you or your loved ones.

$1 for my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth7
Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Searching for the tower.

The only negative I could see, is if the stunt guys are not fully geared up.

If these guys' gear consists of a helmet alone...I think it sets a bad example.

But the actual behavior on the bike...I have no problem, especially since its on a closed course.

Were they wearing gear?

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roch

Exactly. And you aren't playing the advocate, T-rat is.

This is one dumb, close minded hypocritical argument that none of us should have to waste any time debating.

Kick the tires and light the fires.

- CENTRAL TEXAS SPORTBIKE ACCESSORIES - FAST AND FREE SHIPPING
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Ozy
New Canadian, frm Nigeria

[QUOTE=TriumphRat]
My question is: Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of "show" shouldn't be included in a pro sports venu? QUOTE]

yes you are...dont hate
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Ozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphRat
My question is: Am I the only one who thinks that this kind of "show" shouldn't be included in a pro sports venu?
yes you are...dont hate
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Club Racer

holy double post batman

but anyway.. i agree that as long as its done on the track its fine.. its when i see people doing it down the street that pisses me off..
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Skid Mark

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphRat
Why does the public need or have to have this kind of ridiculous behaviour that obviously spills over onto the public roadway? Some of the crowd are young and impressionable so they look at this kind of thing as "way cool", then go out and fuck up doing these stupid pet tricks.

Just my two bits.......
probably for some of the same reasons why i spent a week learning to do a "kick-flip" back in the day when i rode a skateboard. my friends all thought i was cool when i landed one. i suspect it's much the same way when someone does a 60mph stoppie for 300 feet. only difference is it's an older kid...

s3aturnr

WERA Expert #68

Quote:
When in motion, squids can be observed to "park" on corner entry and abuse the throttle on any available straight.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Ozy

Publix streetz haterz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in