Remodeling the garage - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Remodeling the garage

**edited pictures on page 3**

Well that time has come, too much shit in the garage, not enough space for 3 bikes + lifts and tool carts. So Operation garage begins, Im going to take some before and after pictures of it so you all can see what hell i have to work with.

Im clearing out everything except one pre-existing work bench and 2 cabinets (i dont want to buy any modular stuff either). So im going to be constructing a horseshoe (so to speak) work bench around the whole garage minus where the cabinets are and the pre-existing work bench already are.

Now my question?
Has anyone here ever had this dilemma?
Does anyone have any neat ideas for things that i should consider or look out for such as.

-Im putting my garage mini fridge up in a corner and frameing it in so it sits on top of the work bench but back outta the way.

- Im putting a metal urinal with a hose going out into the ground out side(maybe ill angle it right back twoard the leg of the first unfortunate drunk). Under the counter top inside one of the doors.

- Around the whole garage on the workbench surface im taking literally 100's of 100's of pictures out of magazines. Be it bikes,concept bikes, ladies, or racers and im making a huge collage and covering them with a clear laminate(or whatever will last, a buddies dad did this with car pictures, ill have to ask more about what he used.) so ill have a neat conversation piece around the whole thing.

- Im getting some neato flooring for it, not sure if im going to cough up the money for racedeck(or try to find some used) but a guy in my area is selling the long and wide rolls of the rubber garage mats for like 75$ a piece which is fairly cheap beings that i seen them online for like 500$ brand new.

- Takeing down all the dry wall and throwin some osb( i think its called) up so i can have one huge pegboard wall around the whole garage.

- I have a old school trane propane 125k btu furnace that is a ceiling mount. Im takeing down to get it rebuilt, and Im building some custom piping for it so half the heat blows out into the garage and the others go into ducts that push the air out onto the floor instead of up high.

Sooo any other neat ideas out there that anyone has did with there garage, i have to have it done by winter no ifs an's or butts. So shoot!

i was considering a stripper pole but, i dont want any lawsuits from someone greesein the pole up as a joke =) hehehe

Last edited by th12t33n; 09-24-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Lowlife

I like your plan.
I moved late this past spring into a house that had a two car garage and an added on 1 car garage (all attached). After little thinking, I planned to make the 1 car into my own little bike shop; so to speak. There were only bare studs and joists with an attic above. I added OSB sheathing to the ceiling and walls. I treated both floors with the quickcrete garage coating, and clearcoated them also.

At Lowe's, we bought a bunch of cabinets. We put two big ones in the 2 car garage for household items/solvents, etc.... For my "bike" garage, I got 2 floor cabinets: each with rollers, a big drawer, cabinet doors and a couple of shelves. Over these two cabinets is a thick work surface. It basically keeps the cabinets together and looks pretty good too. Eventually, it will be useful as well.

I have two matching hanging cabinets above the movables. My wife also insisted that I get rid of my old tool box and get a big one with wheels ...Yeah I was sold. I placed this next to the rolling cabinets.

My wife is wierd and wants everything to match, but this past weekend I took some left over OSB and lumber to make some shelves for excess and larger items. I added more lighting, put it on a switch, and will add more (ceiling fan for warmer days too) as well. I'm thinking about a retractable light to compliment the fixed? It's still a work in progress and changes wheneverr I think about it too much.

Since the 2 car has the entry to the house, and easy access to plumbing (drain and supply), I am going to add a washbasin in there. Ok that was my wifes idea...but I'm not allowed in the house with dirty hands .

I still have some doing to get it the way I want, but the only big item left is the garage heater. I found an electric one for $250 that people swear by (it's really small). I might add a urinal also, but then that's what back doors are for.

I'd like to see before and after pics. I wish I'd have done that, but too late now. Good luck to you though.

edit: almost forgot the best part. get a big air compressor and run your tools off that. I'm planning on that too....just my .02

Try to take my guns...and i will stab you.

Last edited by stealthy1; 09-17-2007 at 10:32 PM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, thats one thing i forgot to put into my blue prints was the location of the

-air compressors i have (2 little 30 gallon tankers but they get the job done).
-a wash basin
-my parts washer(big one)
-my 2 motorcycle lifts
-Some industrial rolling steel racks (probably gonna sell one 2 take up to much space.)

- I left out some things in my original post, The garage furnace is run off of 2 propane tanks we've had forever not a pig, im going to continue to use these and not a pig a. because i already have them and there transportable and im not gonna use it that much. B. I'm building a corner cabinet that stores them behind a door but still has a work bench in front of it that is on hinges sorta like a bar counter top where the bartender comes out =)

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM

like the idea. make sure to post pics! =)
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

yea im gonna get some tomorrow with it packed full of shit, and well ill take pics of the steps from there.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
500 G.P. Champion

I had to install a TV and ran my DirectTV to it. I also have a radio installed. For the TV I used a TV metal support sold at Bestbuy (you can get them at any store really, I think my friend got his at lowes or home depot). I built my own radio rack so they both sit high enough that they don't get in the way of the work bench.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Speed Racer

Hard pipe your compressed air in, with pvc. Super simple. Just get some cheap, thick walled pvc, hook it up to the air compressor with a fitting and hose. Then whenever you need a drop, you just tap into the pipe (which would run hidden behind your workbench). You can even run regulators off of the system if you want to drop the pressure for a particular light duty tool.

An added bonus is that you can now conceal your air compressor in another room, so that you don't have to hear it running.

Ron Paul supports the John Birch Society
Video of RP talking at the JBS 50th anniversary.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advocating personal responsibility and less government for decades, with no political affiliation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy #2
Hard pipe your compressed air in, with pvc. Super simple. Just get some cheap, thick walled pvc, hook it up to the air compressor with a fitting and hose. Then whenever you need a drop, you just tap into the pipe (which would run hidden behind your workbench). You can even run regulators off of the system if you want to drop the pressure for a particular light duty tool.

An added bonus is that you can now conceal your air compressor in another room, so that you don't have to hear it running.

nice sounded something like what i was gonna try.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
The chick on the Beemer!

Ok the girl in me is making me post this - eeeewwww you are just gonna send you pee out a hose to your back yard or side yard.... yuck... why would you want to do that? You will just make your side yard or back yard stink like a homeless shelter! Take your man thing inside when you want to pee or pee into a bottle
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxbiker
Ok the girl in me is making me post this - eeeewwww you are just gonna send you pee out a hose to your back yard or side yard.... yuck... why would you want to do that? You will just make your side yard or back yard stink like a homeless shelter! Take your man thing inside when you want to pee or pee into a bottle

Okay sweetheart, first of all its going to be aimed at the drunk bastards leg using it.

2nd of all since when does piss stink, my piss smells like a freshly poured guiness.

No but seriously my buddys dad has his rigged up so no way any piss is going down the drain without hitting like 10 of them lil deodorizer thingys , and i will be running the tube about 4+feet down into the ground. and my backyard is on 2 large gradients down so the smell is the least of my worries.... now drunk people missing the goddamn thing and pissing all over the inside of my cabinets is a problem?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
The chick on the Beemer!

Thats cool... your original post made me picture a garden hose poking out the back of your garage I think it is cool that you have a garage you can set up like that. Have fun.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Who Dat?

Only had time to read the first post so I hope this isn't repetitive and honestly I felt it was fair to post whi9le adding a subscription to this thread ..

Some of these might be obvious to you but just in case..

Mini fridge, make sure it has adequate ventilation.

Urinal.. Outstanding.. Dig a large hole outside and fill it with rock. Leave room for the hose and cover with 4-6" of dirt and seed for grass. Otherwise this will stink to hell and back. You can keep the hose clear by pouring some bleach in the urinal from time to time.

Mag pics.. Great idea, I've been accumulating ticket stubs from sporting events and concerts to use on a bar. I saw a contractor at a Hooters just pour polyurethane onto the bar right over the documents but ask around to be sure.

As for the floor I'd treat it with the paint and texture stuff, MUCH easier to keep clean but follow the directions to the letter or prepare to curse for ages

OSB.. It seems like it would be better to prime/paint this as well so it will not accumulate as much dust.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to the pics
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakey
Only had time to read the first post so I hope this isn't repetitive and honestly I felt it was fair to post whi9le adding a subscription to this thread ..

Some of these might be obvious to you but just in case..

Mini fridge, make sure it has adequate ventilation.

Urinal.. Outstanding.. Dig a large hole outside and fill it with rock. Leave room for the hose and cover with 4-6" of dirt and seed for grass. Otherwise this will stink to hell and back. You can keep the hose clear by pouring some bleach in the urinal from time to time.

Mag pics.. Great idea, I've been accumulating ticket stubs from sporting events and concerts to use on a bar. I saw a contractor at a Hooters just pour polyurethane onto the bar right over the documents but ask around to be sure.

As for the floor I'd treat it with the paint and texture stuff, MUCH easier to keep clean but follow the directions to the letter or prepare to curse for ages

OSB.. It seems like it would be better to prime/paint this as well so it will not accumulate as much dust.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to the pics

Good idea about the bleach i was just gonna use some parts degreaser from my washer tub hehehe, and ill try the whole rock and grass thing.
The mini fridge idea i have already on lock i got the spot and everything. and im still looking into the counter top material.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Official Forum Killjoy

I remodeled too, added something new.

Started with this

Yep, I got one of those stupid
too. Click if you dont mind.

Former SBN Forum Administrator and OG Member

Hanging out since 1999
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

jesus enough ducs LOL?? god damn nice looking toolbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in