Which bike? SV650S? FZ6? EFI or not? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which bike? SV650S? FZ6? EFI or not?

I'll ride my little GS more than likely for the rest of this year, unless I run across some insane deal. But as of right now, the plan is to sell the GS this Fall, and pick up a used Ninja 250 for the wife. She sat on one at the dealership and she said it felt more comfortable to her. Fine..good enough. I'm going to buy myself another everyday bike..either in the Fall or early Spring. Depends on what I find, and if I buy new or not.

So far...the SV650S is leading the pack for me. I like the low end torque and not having to rev the piss out of the engine when just tooling around town. It 'feels' light like the GS and doesn't take alot of effort to get it to go where ya want...BUT it's got enough power to entertain 'spirited' riding session when the time / situation permits.

The riding position is what I concentrated on first and foremost as I've been looking / riding.

The SV is winning that one so far.

The Ninja 650 was 'close' but I felt like the bars were too low for me for something.....just wasn't as comfy for me (6'3" 225 if it makes a shit)

I like that it doesn't have a lowering fairing as well...

I've noticed the FZ6 seems to have a similar riding position. What about the engine? Doesn't the FZ use a form of the R6 engine? It's EFI as well...but the FZ is almost 50lbs heavier...

Any input from people who've ridden 'em more than a few miles?

Price is within $600 or so...so that's not big...at least new.

Now for the other big question...

SV650S went EFI in 03..... what's everyone's input? EFI or not? I love my EFI in my project and DD cars..what about bikes? I wonder can you pop start a dead EFI bike like a carbed bike?

Reliability? 4 years of the SV w/ EFI....what's everyone's experiences / feedback here?

I like the pre '03 SV650S as well...my only mod would be white face on BOTH gauges, not just the tach...that just looks...off...to me.

What kind of gas mileage you guys knocking down on these things?

Thanks

Chris

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Gianticus Squidicus

I can't comment on the smaller carbed bikes but the biggest gripes I have with my bike is the huge carbs are a bitch tooling around town. Open road it's great, in town I wish I had FI.

We never had a problem with EFI on the wifes 06 SVS. An I don't believe you can bump start and EFI bike, it needs current to flow fuel;.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Searching for the tower.

Quote:
I've noticed the FZ6 seems to have a similar riding position. What about the engine? Doesn't the FZ use a form of the R6 engine? It's EFI as well...but the FZ is almost 50lbs heavier...
R6 engine, EFI, 14K redline, 90mph in second gear.

All the comfort of the SV and a screaming F1 engine between your legs...can't beat it.

Come on over to the FZ6 forum and chat with us...its very active and we can answer any question you have. The FZ6 is insanely awesome.

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Parrothead

I agree with Parabellum completely. The FZ6 is the best bang for the buck. Tooling around town at low RPM's is not a problem, but when you do wind it up, get ready before you let it go.

With the undertail exhaust, half fairing and great ergos, I just can't see how you could go with anything else.

P.S. I am quite biased though.

Mods=(Got my PJ's Parts savings plan started!)

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
old member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can't comment on the FZ6, but others think very highly of them.

I had an '00 sv650 for 5 years and 47K+ miles before getting the sv1k. The 650 was a blast and never gave me any problem whatsoever. It even got me home (about 40 miles) after going down in the hills. The 1k was a natural next bike for me with better/fully adjustable suspension, 50% more power, and that lovely v-twin. The fact that it has FI is a bonus. Once I re-jetted the 650, I never had to touch the carbs again except for the occasional re-sync (which is quite simple on a twin).

Since my 650 battery never faltered (I sold the bike with the original battery that was still fine), I never had the pleasure of bump-starting it. It's just not a priority. Bump-starting a bike with FI would be a challenge. I'm convinced the battery in the 650 lasted as long as it did due to me riding the bike 50-52 weeks/year. Usually once I started the bike and left home, it would be at lest 100 miles before I got back.

I now have over 16k miles on my '05 1k with absolutely no issues. I've found a v-twin to be the perfect street bike. 650's don't do so badly at the track either. I had a blast at 2 track days.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
The chick on the Beemer!

I have an 01 svs that I have put 11k miles on since I got it a year and a half ago. It is carburated but I have never had any issues with it. I did have to bump start one time when the rectifier went out and it was very easy. I get anywhere from 45 - 50 mpg on the bike depending on how I ride.

Are you looking at the svs or the naked version? If you are looking at the svs one thing to note is either in 03 or the 04 on up the riding position did get more agressive on the svs. I personally think the riding position on the naked is too upright and the fz6 is the same position as the naked sv. Sit on them and see what feels good to you.

All in all so far it has been the best $3000 I have ever spent
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Mr Crash :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum
R6 engine, EFI, 14K redline, 90mph in second gear.

All the comfort of the SV and a screaming F1 engine between your legs...can't beat it.

Come on over to the FZ6 forum and chat with us...its very active and we can answer any question you have. The FZ6 is insanely awesome.
+1

Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
FZ6 Corner Carver

FZ6 FTW... and ive bump started my FZ a couple times... no harm to it and it was the same as bump starting any car or bike that i have had to do so with... just find a nice little hill and off you go... as far as compared to power to an sv... depends if you like torque and torque only then get the sv... if you like being able to essentially have two bikes in one get the FZ... its a great around town bike under 8k and is no slouch... but if you want the power its there at a flick of the wrist and above 8k you better hold on tight cause it will leave your ass...

Upgrades: frame-sliders, fend-elim, tcp seatcowl, pazzo levers, LED taillight w/int.turn signals, puig double bubble blue tint windscreen, K&N filter, Carbon Scorpion Exhaust, yamaha tankpad, flush turnsignals...
Drifting is a lifestyle, so live it sideways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICER737
gotta 7 way party bong at the sheriff's dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_markII
When I treat the street as a racetrack I just pretend the cops are cornerworkers giving me the meatball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson
ok, here is what you do you ready for this ok lets get down to business you gotta get a bunch of stuff for this you go to the grocery store get a jar of pickles some mayonnaise cheeze wizz crackers some milk and a thing of ketchup you bring all of that to your friends girlfriends house then u bend her over and fuck her in the ass as hard and fast as you can.
DUDELEESTA
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Don't mess with the ZOHAN

You don't need to go in the high RPMs of the FZ6 for city riding. I usually cruise at around 4 to 6 thousand RPM in the city which is very low compared to the 14 k redline. It has an upright seating position with a very comfortable seat with a killer engine! FZ6 FTW.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Searching for the tower.

Yeah, between the SV and the FZ you have to figure out if you prefer:

SV: Low end torque on demand, deep tone of a V-Twin, but a short rev range.

FZ: Very little low end torque, screaming inline four, 14K rev range.

Is the SV a 6 speed like the FZ?

I really enjoy the six speed gearbox, but its probably not as necessary on a VTwin.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Track Junkie

The newer SV650S has a bit more of an aggressive stance than the FZ6. The SV650 naked has about the same riding stance as the FZ6. The SV650 has more low end pull, while the FZ6 has more top-end pull. All depends on what you want, and what you feel comfortable with.

Gear: Scorpion Stinger Jacket, AGV Forza 1pc Suit, Teknic VR-II Gloves, TCX SS Performance 2 Racing Boots, Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet
Bike: Scorpion SS Exhaust, Fender Eliminator, Reflective Rimtape

Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Full Time Slacker

It really comes down to preference. Lots of people like the FZ6, Lots like the SV650. Both are good bikes. The SV has the low end grunt, the FZ6 is a screamer. It depends on what kind of character you want your bike to have. As for EFI, I would not buy a carb'd bike. Yes throttle response can be a bit off/on, but you get used to that very quickly. What you gain in reliability, automatic tuning for altitude, easy tuning via PC vs re-jetting is more than worth it. No question. If it helps, here is a dyno comparo of an '03 SV and an '03 R6 (very similar to the FZ6) that illustrates what each bike has and lacks. This is no substitute for actually riding the bikes of course, but gives you an idea about how power is delivered.

The SV is making 5-10 HP more at any given RPM up until a little after 9k where the higher revving engine takes over and starts to shine. If the Fz is geared/tuned differently and is making more low end power I apologize in advance. The Fz6 guys can give you more details. But the magazine comparisons say basically the same thing. The numbers might be off a little but the point remains.

Past Bikes: '03 600rr, '03 VFR800, '01 F4i, '06 SV650 Naked

Current Bikes: '98 VFR800

When you live in paradise, every day is a vacation.

Last edited by big_slacker; 08-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum
Is the SV a 6 speed like the FZ?
Yup.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Supersport Racer

Both are excellent bikes. I looked at both of these bikes in great detail while shopping for my new bike this year. I ultimately chose the SVS due to personal preference, and not technical merit.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Searching for the tower.

Yeah the FZ6 is using a slightly de-tuned R6 engine...but they are very very similar. I believe the R6 has a higher peak output, while the FZ6 was tuned to give you more in the low-mid range where most of your daily riding will be done.

I agree that between these two bikes, its preference. I don't feel that there is any clear winner...both are excellent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in