Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   General Sportbikes (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/)
-   -   New option for engine management... (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/350003-new-option-engine-management.html)

Eviloliv3 04-15-2007 08:42 PM

New option for engine management...
 
How interested would you guys be in a new engine management system for bikes? everybody in the world has a PC3 and my buddy makes a system called Neptune for Honda cars. i asked him about making a system for bikes and he said if there was enough interest, that he would do it.



on my honda i have an option called "2-step" where i can mash the gas under 6mph and it will hold the rpms at 3k rpms for better launch control. he said he could do it for bikes as well which would make for better launches at the track and what not.



Heres a LINK to the options available for the honda ECUs, expect to be the same options (except for the AC cutouts and what not). i dont know if he will be able to make it bluetooth capable for bikes like he has for the cars, but maybe he might be able to do it.



So post up if you would consider another reasonably priced Engine Management system for your bike...

:cheers

ApriliaSL 04-15-2007 09:36 PM

I voted no. The reason for that is because I am not a fan of electronic driver aids. Even though they may make most people safer and faster.
One of the things I like about bikes, though this is changing, is the direct connection between rider and machine. Unlike a car there is no traction control, abs, auto trans.......
I don't like the trend in cars to have a cpu keeping you on the road rather than driver skill. I don't like flappy paddle /auto transmissions. I'd take a F40 over a Enzo any day. And as such would like to see bike control all be down to the rider.

Eviloliv3 04-15-2007 09:42 PM

you dont have to use that option if you dont want to. you can have it disabled if youd rather.

just so you know. it doesnt stop the power delivery if you start to spin. it just holds the engine at that rpm until you hit a set speed. you will still burn em up if you have it set at too high of an rpm and dump the clutch. again, just an option.

i dont know how easy the PC3 is to use, but the neptune for cars now allows the end user to change settings and/or tune it themself. just food for thought

killernoodle 04-15-2007 09:48 PM

PC3 - you just plug it into a computers USB port and download maps off the internet. It doesnt get much easier to set up unless you download maps to it and choose them on the fly, which I think can be done with some of the PC3 add ons.

I tell you what though, if you can get em made for less than the $300 it costs to buy a PC3, I'd be interested. $300 is a TON of money for some plastic and a couple computer chips... even if the R&D is a lot.

malvolio 04-15-2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApriliaSL
I voted no. The reason for that is because I am not a fan of electronic driver aids. Even though they may make most people safer and faster.
One of the things I like about bikes, though this is changing, is the direct connection between rider and machine. Unlike a car there is no traction control, abs, auto trans.......
I don't like the trend in cars to have a cpu keeping you on the road rather than driver skill. I don't like flappy paddle /auto transmissions. I'd take a F40 over a Enzo any day. And as such would like to see bike control all be down to the rider.

Agreed.

climb21cj 04-15-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eviloliv3
How interested would you guys be in a new engine management system for bikes?



So post up if you would consider another reasonably priced Engine Management system for your bike...

:cheers


I would be very interested. I came close to designing my own for a turbo project that i wish i had finished. As long as it was easy to use, and could provide more functionality for the same or lower price as a pc3, AND GOOD TECH SUPPORT should anything go wrong, then i would consider buying it.

I see this more as a device that advanced users could take advantage of. Not really for the plug and play crowd, but if it is plug and play that would be cool too.

climb21cj 04-15-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApriliaSL
I voted no.

I don't like the trend in cars to have a cpu keeping you on the road rather than driver skill. I don't like flappy paddle /auto transmissions. I'd take a F40 over a Enzo any day. And as such would like to see bike control all be down to the rider.



I dont think this is what he is going for. Like he stated its for ENGINE MANAGEMENT. I think DynoJet needs some good strong competition to help boost the market. I would be much happier if somebody was making DynoJet either drop their prices or add more options for free. Look at all the companies making bank off IPOD accessories, when Apple charges double for the same thing. Just gotta break into the market and steal some customers to get their attention.

Eviloliv3 04-15-2007 10:14 PM

most of the top turbocharged honda cars in the country have switched from Hondata or AEM EMS to neptune because of how good it is on the motors (turbocharged or not). he says that he can most likely flash the stock ECU so i dont know how much it will be, but there wont be a box added on like the PC3. in my car you just take out the chip, flash it and put it back in. so it will be plus and play, but without having to add anything. except for maybe a spot in your ECU to plug in a USB cable.

FZ6 Dude 04-15-2007 10:26 PM

sounds interesting if it would be cheaper than the pcIII

Eviloliv3 04-15-2007 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killernoodle
PC3 - you just plug it into a computers USB port and download maps off the internet. It doesnt get much easier to set up unless you download maps to it and choose them on the fly, which I think can be done with some of the PC3 add ons.

I tell you what though, if you can get em made for less than the $300 it costs to buy a PC3, I'd be interested. $300 is a TON of money for some plastic and a couple computer chips... even if the R&D is a lot.

i dont know how much its going to cost as he hasnt started researching it yet. but my bike may be the "test bike" for the system. so the FZ6 guys get first crack at it if thats the case.

as for choosing maps on the fly, im not sure how he would work that, but the bluetooth capable cars its really easy. some of the cars with that option have been tuned by the car in the lane next to them with the passenger with a laptop. so you could possibly be able to be tuned in real conditions rather than just a dyno shop. i have no idea if he will make the systems bluetooth capable, but that would be cool as hell. the systems for cars also have a datalogging capability so if that makes its way to the bikes, you can dyno it, go for a test ride out on the real roads and come back to see if it needs further tuning

peoples1234 04-16-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eviloliv3
most of the top turbocharged honda cars in the country have switched from Hondata or AEM EMS to neptune because of how good it is on the motors (turbocharged or not). he says that he can most likely flash the stock ECU so i dont know how much it will be, but there wont be a box added on like the PC3. in my car you just take out the chip, flash it and put it back in. so it will be plus and play, but without having to add anything. except for maybe a spot in your ECU to plug in a USB cable.


Motorcycle ECMs are very unsophisticated compared to modern car computer. How exactly would you add a USB port, and flash the existing ECM? All I am saying is that I think your friend might be jumping in the water before he learns how to swim.

But hell, he most likely knows more about this than I do.

I vote yes, but not for me. For my fellow riders.

climb21cj 04-16-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eviloliv3
he says that he can most likely flash the stock ECU



Not on Kawasakis. It would have to be inline with the ECU.

hopefully it can be an add on, then you can have all the i/o's you want

Ammadien 04-16-2007 06:07 AM

I voted yes, if you can do it for the DIY crowd(or plug and play too!) to give PC3 some competition that is a great idea. While your at it look into making nice slipon exhausts for sub $200.

Nate

ApriliaSL 04-16-2007 01:00 PM

If you are talking a fueling management box, I'm all for it. I've got a programmed pc3 on mine. But all it does is adjust the fueling to make it run better. To have something to hold revs for a form of launch control that is some thing else.

Endorphine 04-16-2007 01:24 PM

Pc3 Ftw!

Eviloliv3 04-16-2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peoples1234
Motorcycle ECMs are very unsophisticated compared to modern car computer. How exactly would you add a USB port, and flash the existing ECM? All I am saying is that I think your friend might be jumping in the water before he learns how to swim.

But hell, he most likely knows more about this than I do.

I vote yes, but not for me. For my fellow riders.

well he did it for the honda car ecus, so i dont think it would be hard at all for the bikes. he would flash the ECU, and also add in a USB connection to connect to the ECU. i think you read it wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApriliaSL
If you are talking a fueling management box, I'm all for it. I've got a programmed pc3 on mine. But all it does is adjust the fueling to make it run better. To have something to hold revs for a form of launch control that is some thing else.

its fuel, ignition timing and everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ammadien
I voted yes, if you can do it for the DIY crowd(or plug and play too!) to give PC3 some competition that is a great idea. While your at it look into making nice slipon exhausts for sub $200.

Nate

ill go ahead and make tires that last 100,000 miles and grip like R compound race slicks while im at it

bdrushto 04-16-2007 11:26 PM

Well, hell, I'm interested. Market competition is always a good thing for us consumers. Best of luck to you and your buddy, bro. :dblthumb

Eviloliv3 04-17-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdrushto
Well, hell, I'm interested. Market competition is always a good thing for us consumers. Best of luck to you and your buddy, bro. :dblthumb

thats what i figured as well. since dynojet has the market on lock down, a little competition might help it drop prices and/or make them update it with new features, like the ones Neptune will have

BigNinja 04-17-2007 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApriliaSL
I voted no. The reason for that is because I am not a fan of electronic driver aids. Even though they may make most people safer and faster.
One of the things I like about bikes, though this is changing, is the direct connection between rider and machine. Unlike a car there is no traction control, abs, auto trans.......
I don't like the trend in cars to have a cpu keeping you on the road rather than driver skill. I don't like flappy paddle /auto transmissions. I'd take a F40 over a Enzo any day. And as such would like to see bike control all be down to the rider.

+1 Yeah, too much computer control and not enough rider control. Oh, oh, I can't do it anymore, just let the computer do it for me. Some people can't even wipe their own ass, let alone drive properly. Not a good trend for the people.

Eviloliv3 04-17-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigNinja
+1 Yeah, too much computer control and not enough rider control. Oh, oh, I can't do it anymore, just let the computer do it for me. Some people can't even wipe their own ass, let alone drive properly. Not a good trend for the people.

i dont think you guys are understanding the 2 step thing. its just an option. if you dont want it, you dont have to click the box that says so.

thats the only "computer control" that is available. (that i know of)

you do realize that rev limiters are computer controls, gauge clusters are computer controlled, etc

other than that... it adjusts fuel and ignition and what not


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 1997 - 2007 Sportbikes.net INC. All Rights Reserved.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome